Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that my life might be a whole lot simpler when working on my bike if I had a motorcycle jack. They seem reasonably priced but I haven't used one before. Any advice on what to purchase or look for and it's use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. cheers

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
A lot of guys here like the J & S Jack, I just ordered one today. Do a YouTube search and watch there comparison video . I looked at the pit bull Jack but it just seemed a bit large. There not cheep but like everything you get what you pay for. Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just got my J&S jack and it's great. You can buy a cheaper jack, which I did twice, but save yourself the aggravation and expense and get the J&S from the get-go.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just pony up the money for the J&S and be done with it. It is without a doubt the best jack on the market.

While you are at it buy these Bessey vice inserts from lowe's, they have two magnet's in them that will hold them in place on the top of the jacks lift arms. Cut off the small lip so they lay flat on the lift arms. They are made of nylon and will not be hard to cut off the lip. The insert are needed to lift the bike level due to the Victory not having a frame under the engine like a Harley. Once the bike is in the air you set it down onto the two safety arms and the bike will be very stable on the jack.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_209898-52800-BV-NVJ_?PL=1&productId=3070247

Here are three photo's of the J&S jack lifting my Cross Country Tour.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My situation is a little different. We're on the road and try to lug around stuff that fits in the Wells Cargo. The more stuff a jack can handle the better.
When we came west I had a Handy Lift built into the floor of the trailer but the thieves stripped it out when they stole the Wells. Since the law recovered the trailer empty I got the chance to rethink my jacking needs.
I fiddle around on our trucks as well as the bike and I was tired of the factory scissor jacks.
A bike jack is typically rated between 3/4 and 1 ton which is a safety factor of two for a mans bike (although hoist ratings are conservative).
I ended up buying a Triple Lift jack which is a 2 ton machine which is a safety rating of about 5 times and it's already done double duty dropping the trannie out of the Avalanche and floating the bike. YouTube vid below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8e35uXJvc‎

It works fine under the red bike. Rugged as all get out. I use the straps when I'm removing stuff from the bike which affects balance, in this case the pipes were getting removed for glasspack mod. When I'm washing I don't bother with straps but I always shim the weebly bits to keep it from rocking side to side. I don't know if it'll tip over if I hang off the front wheel or run it around the room doing pirouettes but I don't plan to dance with my jack so acrobatics didn't fit into my buying strategy, picking up stuff did.

It ain't no Handy but for a 125 bucks it's a winner for me.

Attachments

·
13,239 Posts
look in your local craigslist there always seams to be one or two there for not bad prices.
Make sure it works by standing on it and having some one jack it up.
Most use jacks that you can pick out at auto stores fleet farm or maybe walmart

·
Registered
851 Posts
...I ended up buying a Triple Lift jack which is a 2 ton machine which is a safety rating of about 5 times and it's already done double duty dropping the trannie out of the Avalanche and floating the bike...
I was looking at the Triple Lift jack but it looks like it sits awful high in the down position (5.5' according to the specs). Do you have any problem getting it under the bike?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was doing some searching about this very topic. Witchdoctors sells a skid plate for the Cross bikes that would make jacking with the J & S jack a snap...just a thought

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was looking at the Triple Lift jack but it looks like it sits awful high in the down position (5.5' according to the specs). Do you have any problem getting it under the bike?
Check the pix and there's a 1inch board by the front tire. It's so close that sometimes it rolls right under, other times it needs a push so I use that board to give me air.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My situation is a little different. We're on the road and try to lug around stuff that fits in the Wells Cargo. The more stuff a jack can handle the better.
When we came west I had a Handy Lift built into the floor of the trailer but the thieves stripped it out when they stole the Wells. Since the law recovered the trailer empty I got the chance to rethink my jacking needs.
I fiddle around on our trucks as well as the bike and I was tired of the factory scissor jacks.
A bike jack is typically rated between 3/4 and 1 ton which is a safety factor of two for a mans bike (although hoist ratings are conservative).
I ended up buying a Triple Lift jack which is a 2 ton machine which is a safety rating of about 5 times and it's already done double duty dropping the trannie out of the Avalanche and floating the bike. YouTube vid below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8e35uXJvc‎

It works fine under the red bike. Rugged as all get out. I use the straps when I'm removing stuff from the bike which affects balance, in this case the pipes were getting removed for glasspack mod. When I'm washing I don't bother with straps but I always shim the weebly bits to keep it from rocking side to side. I don't know if it'll tip over if I hang off the front wheel or run it around the room doing pirouettes but I don't plan to dance with my jack so acrobatics didn't fit into my buying strategy, picking up stuff did.

It ain't no Handy but for a 125 bucks it's a winner for me.
Looks like a nice jack for a lot of reasons including being able to use it for jacking up the car and the rear of a trailer not attached to a truck. Is it wide enough to be steady? I also like the idea of the pin as an additional support so you don't have to rely on the hyd piston. Thanks for the information.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Fed x stopped by today and carried my new J & S Jack unto my garage. Took it out of the box and bolted the bottle Jack to the frame , then under the bike and up in the air she went. This Jack is well worth the money, rock solid.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Looks like a nice jack for a lot of reasons including being able to use it for jacking up the car and the rear of a trailer not attached to a truck. Is it wide enough to be steady? I also like the idea of the pin as an additional support so you don't have to rely on the hyd piston. Thanks for the information.
I don't have any issue with it's stability considering it the lifting beams are closer. I place the jack so that the rear beam passes just rearward of the kickstand mount and it does not act wobbly fore to aft. It does need to be shimmed between the beams and the bike because the rounded engine configuration causes side to side wobble. That's going to be the case with any flat beam solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts