Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When talking with riders who ride outside of California (the only state where currently lane splitting is legal), I get this vibe where they think I'm nuts for lane splitting. Same thing happens when talking to folks who do not ride bikes. One of the first questions they have for me is if I lane split, and once I affirm, I can read the disappointment in their eyes. Here's a 15 minute video underlining the benefits of lane splitting.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Lane splitting good...........&

When I lived in Cali yes I use to do it. Many benefits to it. Lived in Az the past few decades. If you come here from Cali. please be careful in Az if you deside to do it. #1 it is against the law, you can get a ticket, bummer. #2 the crazy cagers here do not expect it,sooooooooo please be extra careful if you do it here or in the other 49 states. I do not know if I would want to do it with my XRs because the bags are pretty wide. Just in Az please be careful exspecially with it getting hotter out, the roadrage seems to go up with the temps here.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ill split lanes if traffic is stopped or slow, away from on or off ramps. it does piss me off when bikes speed between cars, for a couple reasons, it pits us against cars by scaring drivers and the drivers try to close the "gap" between lanes, i mean when you are legally lane splitting and cars see you and creep over to your side ill admit they get a blast from my big honkers in their ear, and on my harley my thunder header. and second the more accidents the more legislation, and we all know how fun more laws are. my two cents.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The biggest thing about Cali is that it's legal so if cagers get pissed you at least have the LEO's looking out for your. CHP does have some advice though

Just don't be a jerk about it Read this guy's discription below his video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2WgLYenN2A

Some bikers need to understand human nature. People don't change just because you want them too.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Every aspect of motorcycling is a compromise in safety. If you feel comfortable lane splitting and it's legal where you're doing it, by all means proceed. For me it's more an issue of wondering whether the other motorists are going to be aware of me if I should try it. In the only state where lane-splitting is legal, I might give it a shot if traffic were heavy and slow moving. San Diego has traffic that doesn't stress me out when it's very busy, altho the LA-adjacent areas I've visited are a little more hectic...not sure if I'd try it there.

I certainly wouldn't try it in my home state or the areas I visit, as drivers are not trained to watch for bikes splitting lanes. In Idaho in would serve to confuse, startle and possibly anger. In the Phoenix metro area, as Speedblue mentioned, it would be quite dangerous, tho Arizona drivers are quite aware of their surroundings despite the fact they tend to drive fast and aggressively. In the Salt Lake City metro area, I don't even feel safe in a car with 8 airbags. I avoid riding there when I can and certainly would not lane split no matter the temptation to do so.

As a motorist who was raised and learned to drive in a place outside of CA, I'm often startled myself when a bike lane-splits near my car, even tho I'm an avid motorcyclist.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For me in NYC, the traffic and the drivers can get downright stupid, so you pick your battles. Even still, when traffic comes to a dead stop, its 90 degrees out and the 2 into 1 is cooking my leg... thats when I find myself making my move. With everyone nose to @$$ there's no room for anyone to be d*ck and try to squeeze you. Once everyone starts moving again, i'm back into formation. With both of my bikes being fuel injected air cooled v twins.. I find i'm doing it more to keep them from overheating (rather than exploiting an advantage), even if I am only moving in at about 6 or 7 mph. So i guess that makes me more of a filterer than a splitter. The fact that most insurance companies here are just filling a requirement and don't actually fight for you even when you're in the right, kind of sits in the back of my mind if I think about tearing down a white line at 30 and keeps me in check.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
For me in NYC, the traffic and the drivers can get downright stupid, so you pick your battles. Even still, when traffic comes to a dead stop, its 90 degrees out and the 2 into 1 is cooking my leg... thats when I find myself making my move. With everyone nose to @$$ there's no room for anyone to be d*ck and try to squeeze you. Once everyone starts moving again, i'm back into formation. With both of my bikes being fuel injected air cooled v twins.. I find i'm doing it more to keep them from overheating (rather than exploiting an advantage), even if I am only moving in at about 6 or 7 mph. So i guess that makes me more of a filterer than a splitter. The fact that most insurance companies here are just filling a requirement and don't actually fight for you even when you're in the right, kind of sits in the back of my mind if I think about tearing down a white line at 30 and keeps me in check.
It's only legal in California. Why would you come on a PUBLIC forum and profess to doing it? You DO realize that the police could actually pull this thread up anytime in the future to use in a court case, right? 4.3 years from now you cause an accident by lane splitting and you think "it's my word against theirs". You go to court where a lawyer asks you something like "have you EVER lane split" on your bike? POOF! they win the case and your out your lawsuit, $'s or whatever/

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
When talking with riders who ride outside of California (the only state where currently lane splitting is legal), I get this vibe where they think I'm nuts for lane splitting. Same thing happens when talking to folks who do not ride bikes. One of the first questions they have for me is if I lane split, and once I affirm, I can read the disappointment in their eyes. Here's a 15 minute video underlining the benefits of lane splitting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNGD9AAIfFU
CR - If it's only legal in Cali, that means it is ILLEGAL in the other FORTY NINE states. Do what you want in Cali. We are fine with it and if I lived there and had to deal with the traffic jams I might even consider it myself. Unfortunately, some riders read threads like this and think "yea, I'll do that too" without realizing that they would be breaking the law. The guys in your video basically use the entire video to "justify" themselves for doing it in other states. Bottom line is, it's illegal so why risk it?

I also found the officer's video a bit off from the formal CA legal definition as well. The state of California states that.. "It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster --- danger increases as overall speed increases."
http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Another thing in the video shows a motorcyclist lane-splitting around larger vehicles which is apparently a no-no
When is it NOT OK to split? Maybe this is what adds to the confusion?

You should NOT lane split:
- If you can't fit.
- At a toll booth.
- If traffic is moving too fast or unpredictably.
- If dangerous road conditions exist --- examples include water or grit on the road, slippery road markings, road construction, uneven pavement, metal grates, etc.
- If you cannot clearly see a way out of the space you're going into (for example, if a van or SUV is blocking your view).
- Between trucks, buses, RVs, and other wide vehicles.
- Around or through curves.
- If you are not fully alert and aware of your surroundings.
- If you are unable to react to changing conditions instantaneously.
- If you don't feel comfortable with the situation.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It's only legal in California. Why would you come on a PUBLIC forum and profess to doing it?
Maybe he doubts that it would be used against him. But at least he didn't film himself filtering like:

This guy in Chicago

Or this guy in New York

This one in Atlanta had cops move out of his way

And this guy in PA went so far as to post the laws he's breaking :crzy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nobody forces you to split ....

It is just natural for some, and scares others.
Whether legal or not, some will, some won't.

:ltr: some of the comments here - cheers

Just for the record - I do split, laneshare, drive past stopped traffic etc. Each to their own.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the law says splitting is legal if traffic is going less than 30mph and you cant be going more than ten mph faster than the flow of traffic. in the bay area there is a lot of heavy traffic and its a huge benefit to have the ability to split, most drivers dont know its legal and as they sit in traffic get frustrated... but remember, its the same theory as the carpool lane, they try to legislate traffic moving, they dont do anything for our benefit here, believe me they act like they are saving the planet at every step.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Lane splitting works extremely well at moving traffic in cities where it's expected and even encouraged. Drivers of motorcycles and automobiles are much different than what you encounter in North America. Motorcycle drivers in Europe on average are much better trained/experienced and more able to handle the rigors of driving in downtown congestion in a city of 5 million people. In many of those cities the auto driver also spent a few years on a bike before he/she was able to afford a car so can empathize with the biker. A climate that allows year round driving and fuel prices running at three to five times what we pay have facilitated a much higher motorcyle to car ratio than what we see here so they are used to it. At a red light in downtown Athens during rush hour expect to see 20 - 50 scooters working their way through stopped traffic and then leading off at the turn of green. It's expected. Nobody gets their @ss in a knot because someone got ahead of them. Nobody tried to cut someone off so they can stay in front. So what? The car driver isn't going to their destination any faster so why be an ahole? Let'em go and wish they were still on a bike getting through the gridlock. What the scooters are doing has absolutely zero to do with the progress or timing of the people in cars. They are more mature about their driving conditions. Well, except for the French of course.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lane splitting works extremely well at moving traffic in cities where it's expected and even encouraged. Drivers of motorcycles and automobiles are much different than what you encounter in North America. Motorcycle drivers in Europe on average are much better trained/experienced and more able to handle the rigors of driving in downtown congestion in a city of 5 million people. In many of those cities the auto driver also spent a few years on a bike before he/she was able to afford a car so can empathize with the biker. A climate that allows year round driving and fuel prices running at three to five times what we pay have facilitated a much higher motorcyle to car ratio than what we see here so they are used to it. At a red light in downtown Athens during rush hour expect to see 20 - 50 scooters working their way through stopped traffic and then leading off at the turn of green. It's expected. Nobody gets their @ss in a knot because someone got ahead of them. Nobody tried to cut someone off so they can stay in front. So what? The car driver isn't going to their destination any faster so why be an ahole? Let'em go and wish they were still on a bike getting through the gridlock. What the scooters are doing has absolutely zero to do with the progress or timing of the people in cars. They are more mature about their driving conditions. Well, except for the French of course.
ha! good job canuck! even the canucks hate the french! (jk)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's only legal in California. Why would you come on a PUBLIC forum and profess to doing it?
I didn't profess to do it - I simply wanted to bring up this subject since it's being seen as a criminal act by some.

You DO realize that the police could actually pull this thread up anytime in the future to use in a court case, right? 4.3 years from now you cause an accident by lane splitting and you think "it's my word against theirs". You go to court where a lawyer asks you something like "have you EVER lane split" on your bike? POOF! they win the case and your out your lawsuit, $'s or whatever/
Such case would make history, as they would find me guilty of performing a lawful maneuver : lane splitting. And I did not say I lane split all the time, neither did I say I go twice the speed limit while lane splitting, nor did I say I lane split between 18-wheelers (since there's not enough room there, I use common sense and don't stick my nose where it doesn't fit) but I see the assumptions and imagination are running wild as a wild horse. cheers

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
I miss lane splitting. I used to do it all the time on my big 'ole Electra Glide with apes. You get good at and learn to really read the traffic.

They tried to pass a watered down version here in AZ last year but it didn't pass. basically it allowed lane splitting at lights or stopped traffic on the freeway. While I don't live in a high population area now; it would sure be good to be able to get through stop and go traffic when sitting on an air cooled bike when it's 115 degrees in the shade.

It really should be legal in any place where people ride year round. I can see where it would be a major problem for those in cold weather places where the general public forgets about seeing motorcyclists between seasons. Heck; it's a problem every Spring the way it is now.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It's really just another example of how backwards and behind the rest of the world this country is. Sad really.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I didn't profess to do it - I simply wanted to bring up this subject since it's being seen as a criminal act by some.

Such case would make history, as they would find me guilty of performing a lawful maneuver : lane splitting. And I did not say I lane split all the time, neither did I say I go twice the speed limit while lane splitting, nor did I say I lane split between 18-wheelers (since there's not enough room there, I use common sense and don't stick my nose where it doesn't fit) but I see the assumptions and imagination are running wild as a wild horse. cheers
Your two statement's contradict themselves. It's legal where you are so go ahead and do it. My comment was directed to riders in the other 49 states. All the things I posted were in related to the videos and what people were doing in them that was not in accordance with the law (e.g. police officer mistakenly thinks that 40MPH is the barrier where the site shows is 30MHP, etc)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts