Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I've been wanting to go to that place for years now but just haven't got around to it. Might put it on my list to do this summer!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a neat place

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Wheels through time in Maggie Valley is awesome also. And everything it it runs.

Reactions: rainman123

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Wheels Through Time is a cool place, been there three times since he moved it to NC. Its a good day trip on the Victory to go visit it for me.

Reactions: rainman123

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Barber motorcycle museum is friggin AWESOME! I went there after a couple of days racing that fantastic track and enjoyed it thoroughly! It has something for everyone along with 3 stories full of every kind of motorcycle you can think of. Heck, i saw the Captain America chopper there! (the one that Fonda rode, not a Marvel bike lol)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I just got this months AMA magazine and was sad and shocked to see that Dale Walksler had passed back in February. I never heard anything about it. The second time I went there it was pretty early so just a few of us in the parking lot. He brought out a late teens model HD and gave us a talk about it and then fire it up and headed down the road.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My riding buddy and I went to the Barber museum in 2013. We were riding -- me on my XCT, and him on a BMW RT -- from the Albany, NY, area to Austin, TX, to attend the first MotoGP weekend held at COTA. What we did was book a room near the Barber museum, as a waypoint, so we could spend about half a day there, starting the next morning (and then continue westward ho!).

It's my understanding that they rotate some bikes in and out periodically, as they have more than they can display at one time. If anyone wants to get a good idea of the place, I took more than 500 (yawn?) pics there, and put them up on my web site:

I've also made a couple of visits to Wheels Through Time, as side trips visiting my daughter in Asheville. Very sad about Dale, of course.

A pic I took of my daughter there, preggers with her first kid, in 2005:

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
2,354 Posts
I have been to the Wheels Through Time (WTT) museum several times since it is close to where I live in the summers. It is a great place and it is really awesome that all of the bikes will start and run (allegedly). My only complaint is the clutter and the lack of professional curation. WTT would benefit greatly from putting a lot of the clutter in a back room, organizing the displays better, and including more information on signs/posters about the displays. There is some information but not enough. WTT demonstrates the value of the unheralded art of museum curation. It is sad to hear of Dale's death.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Another nice motorcycle museum, if you ever find yourself in the Newburgh, NY, area (along the Hudson River, about 70 miles north of NYC), is Motorcyclepedia. It's not nearly as big as the massive Barber museum, of course, but it has an interesting and eclectic assortment of bikes, and a world-class display of the original Indians.

Here's 100+ pics I took during a visit there three years ago:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts