Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://blog.leatherup.com/2012/03/14/motorcycle-ownership-and-spending-in-the-united-states-market-research-2012/#.T2EbC2I6Rhh

In summary the HD Motorcycle Company owns the US market. Think about that, 1 mil total sales - HD 470000 leaves 530000 - 250000 scooters = 280000 total motorcycles for the rest of them.

I posted this really to point out to all the haters and bashers that while we love what we love about our bikes and they are amazing machines that the brand we all seem to love to hate pretty much kills everyone else in sales. Hard to argue with market domination of that magnitude. Victory is growing rapidly in the market but they aren't taking HD's market they are stealing the Japanese cruiser market and only a little of HD.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
http://blog.leatherup.com/2012/03/14/motorcycle-ownership-and-spending-in-the-united-states-market-research-2012/#.T2EbC2I6Rhh

In summary the HD Motorcycle Company owns the US market. Think about that, 1 mil total sales - HD 470000 leaves 530000 - 250000 scooters = 280000 total motorcycles for the rest of them.

I posted this really to point out to all the haters and bashers that while we love what we love about our bikes and they are amazing machines that the brand we all seem to love to hate pretty much kills everyone else in sales. Hard to argue with market domination of that magnitude. Victory is growing rapidly in the market but they aren't taking HD's market they are stealing the Japanese cruiser market and only a little of HD.
Which is exactly what I hope they continue to do. I hope Victory focuses on making the best functional cruisers known to man and let Harley market their wares to people who desire an image enhancement.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Harley's been building motorcycles for 109 yrs,I was on one for almost 40.Toyota sold 287 vehicles in the US in 1957,last year 1,640,000 outpacing Chrysler and not too far behind Ford and GM.
I believe Victory's really turning some heads with with the buy American crowd,I know it did mine.Vic's biggest obstacle is improving their image as far as customer support.I hear from a lot of riders who would look at a Victory but can't fathom not having a dealership on every corner to take care of their bike for them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HD is the American Standard when it comes to motorcycles. I really don't see that ever changing during our life time. From a very young age, kids learn the name Harley Davidson due to their branding of everything under the sun. In my opinion, the marketing of the Harley Davidson name over the past 10-15 years is what keeps Harley the #1 name in motorcycling in the United States. How many people do you know who may ride a Honda (or any other bike for that mater), or may not even ride at all, but have HD logo shirts? It's great advertising for the HD brand, and the consumer actually pays for that advertising when they purchase the shirt, cap or jacket. If you lined up ten baggers/touring bikes other than a Goldwing or Victory and asked the average person what kind of bike it was, I'd bet that 90% of those asked would say Harley. When they see a motorcycle, that's the name that comes to mind.

One thing that may hurt the Victory line for the next couple of years is, styling. To me, Victory/Polaris has always been ahead of the rest of the brands when it comes to styling. Most of their current line up is very futuristic looking, and that takes a while to grow on some folks; I know it did me. They don't have the traditional "Harley look" like most of the other brands, so it's not attractive to most riders, especially the newer rider.

Victory motorcycles aren't for everybody, and never will be. But that's ok, we know which is the better American brand.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
McDonalds is the top selling fast food chain, but I have never found anything that I liked there. H-D is the top selling bike, but......you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
You said it well Saddlebag. My extensive research for my next road motorcycle has led me to conclude that Victory really is making the best and most functional cruisers and, with the XCT, I believe the best tourer too. I hope to retire within a year and after eight Hondas it is going to be a Victory XCT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I hate to argue with anyone, but Rider John is incorrect. The XCT is not the best tourer. My 2011 Vision Tour is. But hey, who am I to brag....

·
Registered
573 Posts
I realize Victory sales are increasing ( or at least I think so)?

Does anyone have a link to their sales numbers over that last few years?

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
One thing that may hurt the Victory line for the next couple of years is, styling.
Couldn't disagree more. The styling on the Cross Country was what sold me on Victory. I'd been looking to buy American made, just didn't want to jump in with the weekend riding, trailering to my destination HD yuppie crowd. I lived thru the AMF years of HD and am happy that they are finally making some quality bikes again. But IMHO the engineering of the Victory outshines what HD is currently offering and at a pretty good price savings. Long live HD, but for me...Victory rules! cheers

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I don't want to appear to look down on any Victory MC or Victory owner so please let me revise that part of my statement. The XCT and the VT are the best tourers. As to which one is best, that judgement is a personal decision. Your white Vision is definitely the best Vision color choice in my opinion and is damn good looking.

·
Registered
851 Posts
One thing that may hurt the Victory line for the next couple of years is, styling. To me, Victory/Polaris has always been ahead of the rest of the brands when it comes to styling. Most of their current line up is very futuristic looking, and that takes a while to grow on some folks; I know it did me. They don't have the traditional "Harley look" like most of the other brands, so it's not attractive to most riders, especially the newer rider.

Victory motorcycles aren't for everybody, and never will be. But that's ok, we know which is the better American brand.
Couldn't disagree more. The styling on the Cross Country was what sold me on Victory.
That makes me wonder if they also have the sales trends including demographics. It would be interesting to see what the younger and middle aged people are doing.

I suspect the Harley influence can be passed down due to family bias and that people tend to stay with what they know. However, it would be interesting to see if the market share that buys a Harley is getting older or if they are getting a large share of younger riders as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rider John, I was just yanking your chain. Both bikes are great tourers. I almost bought the XC (pre-Tour in 2012) before I settled on my VT. I did a ton of research and finally bought the Vision. I have loved every minute in the seat so far. Which is about 8800 in the first year including a 3,000 mile RT to Colorado last summer. This summer will find me heading to Yellowstone and a 4500 miles RT. In fact, I am meeting a buddy of mine who lives in the Seattle area. I used to as well about 12 years ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I came off of Harley's premium tour bike last Aug. A 2010 Ultra

Limited,26k miles,41 states,several 1k+ day rides in 16 mos..It was a

nice bike.I've only ridden my Vision 3800 mi. since last Aug. before

winterizing in Nov. I rode 1600 mi. in 36 hrs. last Sept. and without

a doubt IMO the Vision is the best tour bike out there.If they are as

bulletproof as claimed which I don't doubt I won't own anything

else.I couldn't believe how comfortable and agile she is with all the

creature comforts I could ever need outside of the lower

deflectors and luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Rider John, I was just yanking your chain. Both bikes are great tourers. I almost bought the XC (pre-Tour in 2012) before I settled on my VT. I did a ton of research and finally bought the Vision. I have loved every minute in the seat so far. Which is about 8800 in the first year including a 3,000 mile RT to Colorado last summer. This summer will find me heading to Yellowstone and a 4500 miles RT. In fact, I am meeting a buddy of mine who lives in the Seattle area. I used to as well about 12 years ago.
You know Visionary, my bro has always been a BMW fan and I dare say Beemer owners are as opinionated a group as any out there! Well he got a load of heifer dust from the dealer when he went in to buy a new K1600. Having heard me rave about my XC, he popped down to a Vic dealer and took a test ride on a sweet black 2012 Vision. That was all she wrote! He has done been converted! And to add icing to the cake, his honey agrees that the Vic is far and away more comfortable than the BMW. Bottom line, we will be on the road to Seattle ourselves this summer (he's ridin out of MI, me out of SC) and I am stoked! Here's a pic when he brought his new bike down to show it off. Bad ass bike!

093.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doc, that is a sweet ride. Very sharp looking bike. My buddy and I are actually meeting in Yellowstone. Three days of riding in the Bitteroots and other mountains. Beartooth Pass is on the top of my list. DTWOR mentioned how sweet handling it is. I couldn't agree more. Its sweet handling belies its weight and bulk.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Doc, that is a sweet ride. Very sharp looking bike. My buddy and I are actually meeting in Yellowstone. Three days of riding in the Bitteroots and other mountains. Beartooth Pass is on the top of my list. DTWOR mentioned how sweet handling it is. I couldn't agree more. Its sweet handling belies its weight and bulk.
Amen to the handling! Hope to spend some time in Yellowstone myself (and maybe look into Beartooth Pass?!). Never been to the NW of our country and I can't wait! Oh, and by the way, easy on the "weight and bulk" comments...the dude is kind of sensitive. :ltr::ltr::ltr: (runs in the family...he's my nephew!) thumb up

·
Registered
20 Posts
That makes me wonder if they also have the sales trends including demographics. It would be interesting to see what the younger and middle aged people are doing.

I suspect the Harley influence can be passed down due to family bias and that people tend to stay with what they know. However, it would be interesting to see if the market share that buys a Harley is getting older or if they are getting a large share of younger riders as well.
That's an interesting point to consider. I know in my family, my Grandfather rode HD police bikes during his career, my father rode HD's when he was younger and pines for another HD. My brother rides a Yamaha but wants an HD. I rode a Suzuki previously but just sold it to pick up a Vegas. We'll see what my younger brother does after he's done with his Vulcan.

I think there have been some good points here -- HD's ubiquitous nic-nac market, general brand recognition, and older generations affinity for HD are all hills Victory will need to overcome. But, I had never seen a bike that made me actually stop in my tracks and wonder aloud what it was, until I saw a Victory parked outside a hamburger joint in Bear Lake, UT. (Almost magical, isn't it)

Now I'm working on my fam -- I just might be able to convert a couple of them ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts