1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
399 Posts
The rear can be dialed in for preload via a standard hand-held air pump that connects to a valve residing in the left saddlebag.
Wait did they move the valve location?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait did they move the valve location?
I bet it's just a typo, or maybe they never adjusted the shock (and so weren't paying attention).

I'll have to visit a Vic dealer this week and check it out, assuming they have a 2016 XC or XCT on the floor. Unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
It really stood out because it said left side bag when it's currently on the right side under the side panel. That is a pretty big difference.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It really stood out because it said left side bag when it's currently on the right side under the side panel. That is a pretty big difference.
Oops, you're right -- didn't notice that (senior moment or two).

Anybody going to a dealer tomorrow?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn, I was up there today
Picking up fork oil at $36/ quart:eek

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
While it is certainly possible that the shock fill point is in a saddlebag, my money would be on this statement being a mistake. It would be a real PITA to take off the saddlebag with the valve in it. Since taking of the saddlebags is necessary for many tasks including a good cleaning, this just doesn't make sense. Possible but very unlikely.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
436 Posts
I never have had heat issues with my XR......they mention it being hot and then the replies do as well. I've always been comfy even on hot days stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I never have had heat issues with my XR......they mention it being hot and then the replies do as well. I've always been comfy even on hot days stuck in traffic.
THe hard lowers make a big difference in the heat escaping. I have found through trial and error where to set the lower wind deflectors for maximum heat management..

·
Registered
275 Posts
THe hard lowers make a big difference in the heat escaping. I have found through trial and error where to set the lower wind deflectors for maximum heat management..
Indeed, it is the hard lowers that make the big difference. I live so far north that I am almost a canook :grin and in the summer when riding around town or in slow traffic it can get mighty toasty, although modding the mufflers and ditching the o2's did help some so wasn't quite so bad this last summer. I plan on hitting the dealership on Saturday so I am going to look and see if the valve has been moved.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Damn, I was up there today
Picking up fork oil at $36/ quart:eek
Is that Victory pricing?...they dont miss you!
I got 15w Motul Synthetic for $15 a litre which was enough to service my Vegas forks.
Used some of the left over 10w Syn for a pre-fill flush.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I just bought a new 2016 and the valve is still on the right side.
Finally: thanks for the confirmation.

Someone who has a Facebook account (I don't) might want to add a comment to the article, straightening them out, perhaps something like:

The valve for the rear shock hasn't been moved in 2016, according to new owners. That is, it is still in a difficult to reach spot, under the right side cover (not in the left saddlebag).

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
"We hitched a leg over the 2016 Victory Cross Country Tour"
I might swing a leg over or hike a leg over... but I can't say I ever 'hitched' a leg over a bike...

"Chugs a bit if you don’t open it up"
OK... WTF does that mean? If they are trying to say you need to keep the revs above 2300, why not just say that?
Motorcycles "chug" when you give too much throttle at too low an rpm... very gradual throttle is helpful and 'opening it up' would make it worse.

These fellas don't write very well.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"We hitched a leg over the 2016 Victory Cross Country Tour"
I might swing a leg over or hike a leg over... but I can't say I ever 'hitched' a leg over a bike...

"Chugs a bit if you don’t open it up"
OK... WTF does that mean? If they are trying to say you need to keep the revs above 2300, why not just say that?
Motorcycles "chug" when you give too much throttle at too low an rpm... very gradual throttle is helpful and 'opening it up' would make it worse.

These fellas don't write very well.
You guys are tough. My take is that, yep, they screwed up on the shock-fill location ... but in general they got it right: they liked the bike, it has tons of storage, it handles well, it's comfy, and it can get hot. Nothing I disagree with there, and those are some of the reasons I bought my XCT (well, not the heat part).

Now, I'll open up the floor for criticism, I guess because either: A) I'm a masochist, or B) I wouldn't mind improving my writing. Here's a review I wrote for webBikeWorld, back in 2012, about half a year after taking delivery of my XCT:

Victory Cross Country Tour Review - webBikeWorld

You probably missed that article three+ years ago so, if you have time now, whatdya think?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You write well, but wow, that's long. 10 paragraphs on wind management alone.
I was hoping to get paid by the word, but it didn't work out that way.

(BTW, the editor is a stickler for short paragraphs, sort of newspaper style. Says that it's easier for phone users to read.)

Hey, thanks for reading any of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wspollack you have that well written article and plenty of great write ups on the forums. Then there is your picture tutorials on your website......great stuff. Thank you it has helped for a few different things I have done.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wspollack you have that well written article and plenty of great write ups on the forums. Then there is your picture tutorials on your website......great stuff. Thank you it has helped for a few different things I have done.
SR: Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Don't forget that it helps that I'm retired, so I have time to put up web pages.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts