Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for mounting suggestions for a Garmin GPS, XM Radio and Cruzier Kaddy for my new Havasu Red XC. Pictures of what folks have done would be a tremendous help. My Dealer did make some suggestions but I bet the riders here have some great first hand experience.

As a side, has anyone considered machining a horizontal metal bar that would span the area between the left and right sides of the Victory handle bars close to the fairing? I hope I'm explaining this correctly? My thought then would be you could mount the accessories close the the fairing directly facing the driver. I'm sure there's a reason why Ma Vic didn't do it that way. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
same here(basically)

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Looking for mounting suggestions for a Garmin GPS, XM Radio and Cruzier Kaddy for my new Havasu Red XC. Pictures of what folks have done would be a tremendous help. My Dealer did make some suggestions but I bet the riders here have some great first hand experience.

As a side, has anyone considered machining a horizontal metal bar that would span the area between the left and right sides of the Victory handle bars close to the fairing? I hope I'm explaining this correctly? My thought then would be you could mount the accessories close the the fairing directly facing the driver. I'm sure there's a reason why Ma Vic didn't do it that way. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!
Here are a couple pics of my mounts.

On the left side is a mount from Mounting Innovations ( http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Bases/RAM Bases.htm ), in particular a black version (not listed on the web site) of http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Chrome/Chrome.htm . This has a RAM ball on top, and in this case connected to that is a 3" RAM extension, a locking RAM knob (to discourage casual removal of the pieces), and a RAM cradle for Garmin Nuvi 200-series GPSs. Of course, when you speak of a GPS, much depends on which brand and model.

Also on the left, in front, is Victory's replacement piece for the bottom of the clutch perch, with two RAM balls in it. (I have other RAM parts, for very rare use, such as a 6" extension and a RAM cradle for my iPhone 4.)

On the right is a plastic drop-in holder for my E-ZPass (since replaced with a different one, as my E-ZPass was recently replaced by them with a smaller version). That is attached to the handlebar with a Formotion P-clamp ( http://www.morrisonmotomounts.com/product/formotion-hc-75178b-p-mount-handlebar-clamp-black/ , also available in chrome).

These work for me, and are not better or worse than anyone else's systems. I just want to show you some of the products available, and in my case I'm a fan of RAM products, from the ball upward.

Regarding your crossbar, I'm familiar with the idea. Crossbars come in handy for goodies, and a lot of outfits sell "shelves" for add-ons, the shelf mounting on the crossbar. Those crossbars are almost always part of handlebars because -- as found on many off-road or dual-sport bikes -- the tubing is thinner, for one thing, and for another they're designed to handle the weight of your standing on the pegs sometimes. Those bars are generally 7/8" in diameter. On the Vic, the stock beefy 1" bars (as typically found on cruisers) don't need bracing, and if they had bracing, and especially if you put a shelf on such a brace, I think it would obscure the view of the gauges and LCD. Mainly though, to answer your question, my guess is that's a matter of 7/8" bars vs. 1" bars, the latter's not needing additional bracing.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
I chose to use the Kuryakyn chrome mounting rings and a RAM ball for my GPS and phone mounts. They are very minimalist and look great when not being used and they do just what they need to as mounts. I have a Garmin specific cradle for my GPS and a RAM X-Grip for my HTC One phone. Power supply cords for both connect to a Battery Tender-based cigarette lighter socket I put under the fairing with a USB adapter in it. And my phone's audio is connected to the stereo's aux-in via the standard Victory 3.5mm plug under the fairing. I think it's a sweet setup. Fully functional when I want things mounted and barely noticeable when cradles removed.

Kury ring for 1" bars is part #1420
1" RAM ball with M6 threads
M6 x 1.25" chrome button-head cap screw with washer fastens them together (local hardware store)

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts