Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Did you do these pictures from your phone? Sometimes they go sideways on me if I upload from my phone.

Good work on the relocation - I can't tell how you did it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good job! Question is why? Also, wondering if the aerodynamics and rearward placement make the bikes handling any different? Regards, Jim

My wife felt cramped with my backrest installed. I have a custom built backrest on my Yamaha raider and she is used to more room. Handles same as it did before I moved it

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i would be curious about the effect it has on the front end weight, more weight up high and farther back taking weight off the front wheel.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i would be curious about the effect it has on the front end weight, more weight up high and farther back taking weight off the front wheel.
That's an more cost effective way to ride wheelies than adding cams:devil

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i was thinking more like wobble or tank slapper, but wheelies would work too

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Nice work....I bet I speak for everyone, when I say; I'd really, really like to see a full side view in the right orientation.....:grin

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Nice work....I bet I speak for everyone, when I say; I'd really, really like to see a full side view in the right orientation.....:grin
I'll fix it. :smile

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Here they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Let's not get carried away here, folks: 2" isn't that much ("that's what she said").

What's the trunk weigh, something like 40 lbs? (I've never had the trunk off, let alone weighed it.) If that's sort of accurate, moving it back increases the torque by about 7 ft-lbs.

Keeping in mind that for optimum handling, you should place the heaviest items low and between the axles. So, for instance, my tool bag is up front, at the bottom of the right saddlebag, and my compressor is up front, at the bottom of the left saddlebag.

I reserve the trunk mostly as a place to put my helmet -- and my wife's, if we're riding two-up -- and some maps and other small and light stuff. If you work it that way, then it seems to me that moving the trunk back is not that big a deal; it's no different than keeping the trunk's location stock, and putting about 7 lbs more crap in it.

I've ignored here the effect of change in passenger location. That is, the passenger's butt, center of mass, whatever you call this, is pretty much directly above the rear axle. It's hard to say what effect -- what amount of extra rearward torque, if any -- moving the passenger back a bit would have. And as we don't know the weight of the passenger, we can't tell how much more weight, if any, would be located behind the axle with this change. But as I say, the passenger is almost directly over the axle, so I don't think more room -- maybe an inch more rearward -- for her changes this.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Come on man,... just like ridin with a fat girl!:nerd Ya, I'm the only one that's done that!!... RIGHT!!:wink

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Come on man,... just like ridin with a fat girl!:nerd Ya, I'm the only one that's done that!!... RIGHT!!:wink
Yep, you're the only one.:nerd

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

like i said just curious, my bike did a wobble on me and is pretty much destroyed because of it, just curious about moving the trunk back farther for weight distribution is all, since that seems to be the reasoning for a wobble.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Any chance you could do a write up on exactly what you did, I was looking at moving the tour pack back as well.

·
Registered
281 Posts
like i said just curious, my bike did a wobble on me and is pretty much destroyed because of it, just curious about moving the trunk back farther for weight distribution is all, since that seems to be the reasoning for a wobble.
Certainly didn't mean to make lite of your crash. Hope your OK. Were you able to find the cause of your wobble?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ride quality

The ride quality has not changed. I also moved my goldwing back 2" and put 10,000 miles on it with no issues. My wife is 5'8'' and 160 so she is not a big girl, she just don't like being cramped with a drivers backrest. And with my bad back I have to have a drivers backrest.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts