Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents'

I am calling it quits. After serving this great country in foreign lands. I am coming home for good in June. I have a job offer in Maui leaving the Big Island (Home of a Victory Dealership).

The good news is I will have to really maintain my ride myself. I am not a mechanic by trade unless you refer to removing people problems as a trade.

I am willing to teach myself the art of being a mechanic and I like the idea because I like history, and most books I read always about great men discuss how they fix their own problems.

I will be moving to Maui in July. My wife has an opportunity to work as well, so at this point the boss made up her mind.

What books do suggest I purchase as a library of resource?

I own a 2000 V92SC. The machine runs great and no need for immediate service. I don't want to give my bike to a Harley mechanic because I know they would be jealous.

Look forward to the responses!

One more question, I have rust on my Fork Caps - part number 5132437 - Where can I get black ones?

Thanks. I know this is going to be my #1 resource!

·
Registered
352 Posts
well, for certain find a maintenance manual for your year and model... and try to keep your eye out for an electrical schematic. I see them floating around once in a while on ebay. Unless you have a catastrophic failure, you should be able to teach yourself how to wrench... no matter what the machine. Use the forums for tips and tricks, even though the manual says to do it one way, there is always an easier way!! Just take your time. As far as the caps are concerned... I had the exact same thing, and I too wanted black. I looked around for a local powder coating company. There are plenty of them out there. Powder coating is inherently a "green" process, so I'm sure there are plenty of them on the islands. If you can't find one, I know my shop will do it if you send it to them. They are a family owned shop, and are BIG into the military. If you can't find anything over there, let me know, I'll put you in touch with my shop. Those caps are pretty small and light, should be cheap enough to send, and I think they charged me about 25 bucks for the blast and powder together. Good luck and welcome home brother... keep the shiny side up.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cornfed,

Thanks for the advise. Purchased the manual form allmotormanuals. I know a powder coating place. I appreciate the info. I look forward to ride on June 9th, the day I return. Island riding is awesome, if you like green, mountains, oceans, and wind (lots of wind).

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts