Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I do believe that rear flats are often caused by what the front tire picks up and flings at the rear I always install an aftermarket mudflap. Here is what I just installed on my XCT. Tried to initially use commercial grade Velcro but it did not work satisfactorily thus I bolted in the mudflap with short chrome allen head bolts and locking nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
That flap looks very nice. How did you protect the holes from being the starting point for rust?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Coulda used that yesterday when I had to ford a rain swollen stream going across a road I was on. Me, I like to use button head screws in an application like that cuz they lie a lot flatter. I'd even give nylon fasteners a try. You're right about the front tire setting up the rear for a puncture.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
another custom ric product coming up? hint, hint.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is the front flap on my ricer. I lined the inside with Kerdi waterproofing fabric, stuck a T on in .40cal, and mounted with Velcro. has not moved in 8k mil. Keeps my chrome clean!!

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That flap looks very nice. How did you protect the holes from being the starting point for rust?
To stop any possible rust from developing in the future I painted and sealed the hole with clear nail polish..

·
13,177 Posts
good idea but I would have use a button head bolt to make it smoother looking. sorry just my thinking.
Take some clear finger nail polish and put in socket of bolt to prevent rusting. You will have to tape the wrench into socket if you ever take it off

·
Registered
827 Posts
I like the mud flap idea too. I haven't done the front yet. The back tire throws a lot of road spray (when the road is wet) back up onto the bike. I have liked the idea of the grass skirt on the simi trucks.

I got some leather cord and cut many pieces and tied them to a long piece of double stick Velcro. I attached it up inside the rear fender to hold down some of the spray. I think I will be adding more strips, because it works pretty good. It's not easy to see either, unless you look for the leather skirt.

Here is my bike after almost 2000 mile trip to eastern Oregon, including 20 miles of gravel (at 40 mph + on the gravel).

I'll try to figure out a front flap someday.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I added a mud flat to the front of my Vision a few years ago for the ride to Alaska. It kept the mud off of the engine.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
another custom ric product coming up? hint, hint.
You just had to say that, didn't you Irv? After seeing these various designs, the gears in my head began to turn and I came up with something unique. But first, I gotta do my taxes, been putting them off too long. Then I'll work on prototypes. That is, if there's sufficient interest in a removable, no drill design that does not use Velcro. Anyone?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
827 Posts
no drill design that does not use Velcro. Anyone?:rolleyes:
I'd like something like that and maybe work with you on designing if that would work out.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I'd like something like that and maybe work with you on designing if that would work out.
I got to work on my tax stuff and its ready to take to my accountant, so I'm free to start. I have an idea I need to mock up and try out to see if it will work as I think it will. Thanks for the offer Ken, but its kinda a one man operation at this stage of the game. We can do the Bill Gates / Paul Allen thing later.cheers

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
You just had to say that, didn't you Irv? After seeing these various designs, the gears in my head began to turn and I came up with something unique. But first, I gotta do my taxes, been putting them off too long. Then I'll work on prototypes. That is, if there's sufficient interest in a removable, no drill design that does not use Velcro. Anyone?:rolleyes:
im always game for a ric product. i thought i heard some loud
gear noises out west.be glad to try the proto type for free!
that sounds like a burns and allen partnership. say goodnight
gracie.! looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

p s--hadnt thought about a flap till this thread started.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
needs a mudflap on the front of my Vegas badly, but hey my frond mudguard is so much shorter than the ones in the pix!
the mudflaps gonna have to be sooooo long....or I need a deeper front mudguard off a tourer...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yeah, I'm interested, in both a paid or, preferably, a free prototype version.

For a present last year, I bought my Beemer-riding buddy an Avant mud guard for his R1200RT. That's a flexible piece of plastic, attaches with a sort of clamp system (i.e., no drilling), and is $79. See http://machineartmoto.com/avant.html or http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/machineartmoto-avant-rt-front-fender-extender .

It got a very good review in Motorcycle Consumer News, when comparing that and another product, and my buddy likes it a lot, said it went on like butter. So, that's sort of an ultimate system, IMHO, if anyone wants something to shoot for. Unfortunately, I realize that plastic is not something the small business person can experiment with.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Bill, thanks for the offer, but I already have a volunteer to test prototypes; he's the guy presently sleeping with my wife.
You're right, I ain't going to be messing with plastic molds to make a product specific to only one bike. The idea I am conjuring is an inexpensive, universal mudflap that will work on any steel fender that comes down fairly low like those on the Cross bikes and Boardwalks. That means they would work on Harleys too.
Stand by, I now have to source a material that I have in mind that will make mine outperform others. Ya gotta build a better mousetrap if ya want the world to beat a path to your door, ya know.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Count me as interested.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts