Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bouncing back and forth between a Vision and a Cross Country. Now that im getting closer to deciding which bike I actually want, I guess its time to figure out what actually constitutes a good deal. Most dealers around me still have 13's in stock also, and i'm flexible on whether I get a 13 or 14.

My questions are:

#1. How much margin does a dealer have on these bikes? Obviously that determines how far below MSRP I can negotiate.

#2. Any idea how much of a deduction should be factored in for a 13, as opposed to a 14? I dont believe either bike currently has any factory rebates.

I know dealers here in FL can charge a "dealer" fee, which is their administrative costs that they pass on, but are there any other BS fees that I should be aware of that are strictly fluff for the dealer?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The extended warranty for one ....Don't waste your money .;)

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Its not what the dealer makes that matters, its what its worth to you, or what you willing to pay. You didn't say if you have a trade-in, but either way, you are in control of your money. You make the offer and either the dealer takes it or you walk.
If you have a trade, don't fall for the old, "what do you want for your bike/car" bit. It doesn't matter! And what they want for their bike/car doesn't matter either. What does matter is the cash difference and that's what you offer them.
Do you want accessories with that? If you do, you bargain for the bike + accessories + 500 mile service + extended warranty (if you want it, but its really not needed) as a package. Don't add them after a price is established for the bike, you'll get taken for a ride for those shiny bits.
Now go forth my son and deal like a man.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not what the dealer makes that matters, its what its worth to you, or what you willing to pay. You didn't say if you have a trade-in, but either way, you are in control of your money. You make the offer and either the dealer takes it or you walk.
If you have a trade, don't fall for the old, "what do you want for your bike/car" bit. It doesn't matter! And what they want for their bike/car doesn't matter either. What does matter is the cash difference and that's what you offer them.
Do you want accessories with that? If you do, you bargain for the bike + accessories + 500 mile service + extended warranty (if you want it, but its really not needed) as a package. Don't add them after a price is established for the bike, you'll get taken for a ride for those shiny bits.
Now go forth my son and deal like a man.
I plan on keeping my Triumph so there would be no trade, just a straight up cash deal. I was mostly curious what the standard markup was between invoice and MSRP to give an idea of what was a realistic number to shoot for.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
I plan on keeping my Triumph so there would be no trade, just a straight up cash deal. I was mostly curious what the standard markup was between invoice and MSRP to give an idea of what was a realistic number to shoot for.
As I stated, what's it worth to you? Make a lowball offer--the worst that can happen is he'll say no. Then ask him to counter offer and take it from there.
I have to laugh when I hear dealers advertising they sell below invoice. That invoice is pure fiction as there are many elements that have that dealer actually paying less than what's on that piece of paper. I wouldn't lose any sleep over what his markup is.
You don't say where you live. If its a cold weather area, that's a huge bargaining advantage for you. He's paying flooring (interest on a loan) while the bike sits there and no one is coming through the door.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I found that dealers try really really hard to substitute "discount" for "rebate" Obviously- 2 completely unrelated items. One is out of his hide- the other is from HQ and should have ZERO impact on what he is willing to sell the bike for. I would make sure he understands that you ain't playin' that at the first sign.

There was no rebate on my 14 Judge. Short version is that reather than get into an battle on each and every line item- I made them tell me the bottom line first-including all taxes, dealer fees, accessories that I specified with labor where applicable. I then basically lowballed the hell out of him, and went from there. I got about $1700 total out of it.

Results will vary- my guy was VERY, VERY green. So if you think it fits:

As he walked off drooling... I had him pause so he could see the notable change in my demeanor. I said- "Mike tell your manager that I have designated this office a zero tolerance zone on bullshit- hmm?"

Put him on defense.. :) The manager never did come out, lol.. Mike was a bit of a wreck after that, though.. Mike's day got progressively worse because sadly the rest of the process was a complete cluster ****. Took all day to get out of there like from 10- something AM to almost 5.

·
13,236 Posts
would think the 13 would be cheaper. Don't be afraid to travel to find one you like. Get then to throw in the 500 mile check up that will save a couple hundred buck. Get a tour of the shop find out how long they been selling Vic's that would mean the service tech would have some experience. I understand dealer charges but its B S on set up charges cause all they do is put in gas. Ask for 20% off all parts for the first year and get then to throw in a top of the line Vic jacket

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
In response to what Judge Redd sed....I never, repeat never deal with salespeople. I want the owner/sales manager/fleet manager or no one. Those are the people who have a vested interest in the dealership. Salesmen come and go, but those others are going to be around a long time and asking for them demonstrates that I am a very serious buyer.
I bought my XR 4 years ago from my dealer's sales manager and he's still there. salesmen have since rotated in and out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
That's good info Ric . My Vic dealer is also a kawi dealer , in 2008 I bought a brand new ZX10r Ninja , from Jimmy the sales manager . I bought my Vic , last April , also from Jimmy .... 5 years later , and he is still there today and greets me personally , every time I enter the dealership . He knows a loyal customer and I know a great sales manager .thumb up:Dcheers

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Exactly my point MAGS. You want to go where everybody knows your name. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I'm bouncing back and forth between a Vision and a Cross Country. Now that im getting closer to deciding which bike I actually want, I guess its time to figure out what actually constitutes a good deal. Most dealers around me still have 13's in stock also, and i'm flexible on whether I get a 13 or 14.

My questions are:

#1. How much margin does a dealer have on these bikes? Obviously that determines how far below MSRP I can negotiate.

#2. Any idea how much of a deduction should be factored in for a 13, as opposed to a 14? I dont believe either bike currently has any factory rebates.

I know dealers here in FL can charge a "dealer" fee, which is their administrative costs that they pass on, but are there any other BS fees that I should be aware of that are strictly fluff for the dealer?

Thanks!
You should be able to EASILY get as much as 18% off almost ANY 2013 Victory - Do a SEARCH on my prior posts on this subject for details, justifications, methods, quid-pro-quo, etc

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was pretty good friends with a dealer in AZ and this is what I learned. They typically have less than a grand on a bike.......closer to about 700 dollars. Where the dealer makes money or gets to add to the margins is the dealer prep and admin or document fees that you would see on a BOS. If you can find a way to reduce the doc fees, then you will probably be happy with the deal you make.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I was pretty good friends with a dealer in AZ and this is what I learned. They typically have less than a grand on a bike.......closer to about 700 dollars. Where the dealer makes money or gets to add to the margins is the dealer prep and admin or document fees that you would see on a BOS. If you can find a way to reduce the doc fees, then you will probably be happy with the deal you make.
Your buddy must have been talking about their "profit per bike" after covering things like power, employee costs including insurance, Building lease, etc because $700/bike would be less than a 4% mark up and NO dealer would ever be able to sustain a business under such a model. The public does not CARE about any of the carrying costs as those are simply a factor of doing business and some are higher or lower than others. In order for your buddies statement to be accurate he would have to have about $1,500/bike in overhead and unless he only sells a couple of bikes a week and if that is the case then he's not turning enough bikes (likely because he is keeping the prices higher than the market will sustain).

The 18% discount I listed above includes (for those not willing to search) about a 10% dealer mark up and numerous other "factory incentives" including $1K off for the demo rides and another $1K off for other promotions ($2K additional if you are a veteran) + other incentives. Just search other posts on here and you will see some that paid MSRP, others that got $1K off but the majority of us all got significant discounts beyond those paltry sums. After all, they have to compete with "the market" not just other Victory dealers and sometimes it is done with service and other times it is done with discounts. I KNOW that my dealer still made $'s even after the discount he gave me. To be fair, you may want to simply shoot for 10% off and call it a day if the dealer is local and provides good service. Let's see, 10% off a $18K bike would be ...yep, more like $1,800 off rather than $700 off.. and the dealer would still be making around $2K on that bike in profit which should be more than enough for him to "keep the doors open".

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I put two dealers to the test, and they actually came up with comparable numbers. Of course telling them I had no trade and that I was paying cash was certainly a factor, the "best" price they each gave me was $1500 off MSRP and no other fees, only tax, title and license.

So basically $19500 on a 14 Vision. Oh yeah and one offered $250 worth of Victory gear, and I could of gotten another $1000 off were I military, but that one I didnt qualify for.

Sound like a reasonable deal?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Well I put two dealers to the test, and they actually came up with comparable numbers. Of course telling them I had no trade and that I was paying cash was certainly a factor, the "best" price they each gave me was $1500 off MSRP and no other fees, only tax, title and license.

So basically $19500 on a 14 Vision. Oh yeah and one offered $250 worth of Victory gear, and I could of gotten another $1000 off were I military, but that one I didnt qualify for.

Sound like a reasonable deal?
You did not state if you had a $1K certificate from one of the Victory Truck Demo rides included in that discount. If not, then I'd say that you could likely get that additional $1K off as well but you might have to wait until the demo trucks start rolling again & get verification that they could include it as well. If so, that would add up to the 13% that everyone else seems to be able to get that way ($1,500 dealer discount+$1,000 in Factory "incentives"+$250 in free merchandise = $2,750 divided by the $21K MSRP and you are right at the 13% I guided you towards)

PS - Some dealers require that you use the $1K demo ride $'s for accessories but many are adding things like the TriOval Stage 1 exhaust anyway so HOW it is used may not be material.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$1000 demo truck cash?? Never heard of it, how do I get one??? I checked the website and I see that the demo truck will be in my city in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
$1000 demo truck cash?? Never heard of it, how do I get one??? I checked the website and I see that the demo truck will be in my city in 3 weeks.
You may want to search this and the other Victory Forum sites for Demo Truck Coupon. You will also notice that there are ALREADY $1,500 'rebates' (to the dealer or you does not matter) on the Victory web page so the $1,500 you are currently being offered may be nothing more than the "current promotion" without the dealer actually kicking in ...anything on their side. http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/special-offers/search.aspx?VIC-page-special_offers_search

Here are a few other links to the prior IDENTICAL discussions on here.
http://www.victoryforums.com/search.php?searchid=2941065

There is also $1K off for attending IMS (see the thread referenced below) so maybe they are doing that instead of giving $1K off for taking a demo ride? I dunno. dig through the threads below to find what you are looking for...
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=65353&highlight=demo+truck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You may want to search this and the other Victory Forum sites for Demo Truck Coupon. You will also notice that there are ALREADY $1,500 'rebates' (to the dealer or you does not matter) on the Victory web page so the $1,500 you are currently being offered may be nothing more than the "current promotion" without the dealer actually kicking in ...anything on their side. http://www.victorymotorcycles.com/en-us/special-offers/search.aspx?VIC-page-special_offers_search

Here are a few other links to the prior IDENTICAL discussions on here.
http://www.victoryforums.com/search.php?searchid=2941065

There is also $1K off for attending IMS (see the thread referenced below) so maybe they are doing that instead of giving $1K off for taking a demo ride? I dunno. dig through the threads below to find what you are looking for...
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=65353&highlight=demo+truck
Yeah I went through all the rebates, none of those apply. The 1k is only for fire/police/military, and the 1.5k is pretty laughable, only for model 2011 (!) Visions and certain bikes. The prices I got seem to be without any sort of factory rebate at all. I would definitely love to have an extra thousand worth of either accessories or discounts no doubt, so I do want to get my hands on one of those demo coupons :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm seeing several Florida demo ride stops on the February calendar in the owners area of ma vic .com... st pete, Volusia, Ocala. uh oh battery dead...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts