Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im making a pair of baffles and wondering what a good packing material would be to use ?
ImageUploadedByMO Free1406506277.786100.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
848 Posts
Might want to use a rod or punch to dimple the holes so that they catch the flow some. this way the packing or bafflle material will actuall catch some sound.

Check summit Racing and see what they have to offer. I think there was a thread on D&D wrapping that offered some suggestions too.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from the outside and dimple in? they have the leftover from drilling pointing inwards, the bit didnt drill nice and clean through. and thanks i will check that out

·
13,242 Posts
You should try them first you might not need packing. If you do fiberglass insulation

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would try first but they will be welded at both ends when im done. i though about making the baffles removeable, but that just gives me another reason to mess with them all the time! haha

·
Registered
302 Posts
I went to a dirt bike shop and bought a muffler repacking kit. It had a piece of high density fiberglass mat that I cut in half and wrapped it around my home made baffles.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
504 Posts
The best packing material that will not breakdown is Stainless Steel Wool. And I mean STAINLESS... otherwise it will rust and rot your pipes.

The good muffler builders use this in their pipes that are not re-packable for this reason alone, it lasts!

Also a good way to dimple the holes is towards the exit of the pipe, meaning just dimple the leading edge of the hole downwards. and make sure you mark the direction of 'flow'.

·
13,242 Posts
what makes you think you need packing. I have gutted plenty of stock mufflers and after market ones and none have packing. Back in the day there were a few that did but that was not many either.
Packing is for making the muffler really quiet. Packing isn't even use much in cars except for the ones that are trying to get a deep tone but never really do.
You have a ton of holes that should make the pipes quiet. Parable to many holes. Have you ever gone and looked at baffles for pipes.
I thought you had thrush glass pack mufflers what was wrong with them.
Keep in mind you will never get the same sound as a harley never.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
even with the packing its pretty loud. i did have thrush but always wanted a little different. i liked them and would do them again, just a little different then last time. one thing i didnt like about the thrush is they have a 2.25" in and out, but only 2" through, and the way they fit, but thats what i would do different. these are homebuilt, a fifth the price of even the thrush, have a 2.5" all the way through diameter. not that i didnt like the thrush , but just wanted more.

·
13,242 Posts
say I don't know how big your pipes are but why not look at baffles at JP Cycle maybe you could get a idea
They might be loud just sitting there but go stand on the side of the road and have a budy ride by you and see what you think then

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i like the sound now, throatier then the thrush but quiet down nicely at cruise.

and my baffles were free, and $14 for packing

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
what makes you think you need packing. I have gutted plenty of stock mufflers and after market ones and none have packing. Back in the day there were a few that did but that was not many either.
The baffles on my '12 KP Xbow pipes had packing

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If you are welding them shut then pack with the stainless steel. If you make them removable then fiberglass mat. That way when the mat blows out you can re pack. Makes sense right?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Probably a good thread to ask about my issue.

I just picked up a 2010 106 Hammer which has a Victory Performance 2 into 1. It's been remapped but my issue is this thing is so loud! I mean annoying loud for me riding and the neighborhood I'm riding through.

I notice the end plate comes off the pipe so maybe the previous owner removed the packing, if indeed they come with it.

Any thoughts about how to best to approach this?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you are welding them shut then pack with the stainless steel. If you make them removable then fiberglass mat. That way when the mat blows out you can re pack. Makes sense right?

what are you guys suggesting for stainless steel? i have stainless steel steel wool like the scrubbers i saw to use those but also saw people had problems with them. i see you can get stainless steel woven matting also?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Probably a good thread to ask about my issue.

I just picked up a 2010 106 Hammer which has a Victory Performance 2 into 1. It's been remapped but my issue is this thing is so loud! I mean annoying loud for me riding and the neighborhood I'm riding through.

I notice the end plate comes off the pipe so maybe the previous owner removed the packing, if indeed they come with it.

Any thoughts about how to best to approach this?

Thanks.

pull the end off and see whats there

·
Registered
445 Posts
pull the end off and see whats there
Yeah sorry I posted after dark and didn't even take a peak. This morning I can see the holes facing me and a white / grey fiber packing.

Surely these pipes aren't supposed to be that noisy? I mean so noisy I'll probably have to take them off to enjoy riding. I could do with 50% of this volume.

Thing sounds more like a Top Fuel on the gas and then there's the crackles on back off.

"Wanted to buy - standard silver pipes to fit a Hammer."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts