Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to try a multi-compound tire for my bike. Does anybody run them on their Cross bike? KevinX, if you're reading this, what shoes does your XC wear?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Unless something has changed in the past year or two, you may have ot go to a bias tire to get a size that is comperable with the XC.
I don't know what all the bias is toward bisas tires, but in some circles it is rampent. I have heard good and bad for the 180/65 16 that Dunlop makes for the HD. Michelin has made an offering that probably would be a better choice.

Let us know how you end up and how you like your choice.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The closest I can find to a multi-compound is the Avon Cobra, which is not a multi-compound tire. However, the tire is built to provide a larger contact patch when leaning, and a smaller contact patch when up-right. They sport higher belt density at the center of the tire, providing a stiffer surface, and lower belt density towards the sides, to simulate a softer, grippier surface.

Btw, Continental does make a tire in our size, but I don't think it's multi-compound. :( http://www.jpcycles.com/product/210-043.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Michelin 180/65-16?

Seeking details on the multi-compound Michelin Commander II 180/65-16 for our cross bikes. Although this site does not explicitly state it as multi-compound, it DOES say that it wears TWICE as long as our OEM tires so I am thinking it's multi-compound, right? First of, I FULLY understand that this is NOT the recommended tire for our bikes AND I fully understand the dimensional differences.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/commander_ii_cruiser_motorcycle_tires/web1010464

However, this "seems" close enough that it "should" be able to work on our bikes, shouldn't it? The additional 5cm height (and fractionally larger diameter of something like .0023) seems like it should work "just fine". It's not like this tire is going to rub on anything and the angular characteristics in motion aren't going to be large enough to cause the tire to loose traction.

Seeking to learn (from the experts here) why this is SUCH a bad idea? Please be as technical as possible in your feedback.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I am ready to try a multi-compound tire for my bike.
For what reason?

Personally, I find the E3s to be great tires. Mine have 10k on them now, the front couldn't be wearing any more perfectly. The rear is developing a bit of a flat spot, but they still handle fine and grip fine as far as it can be leaned over. And both still have a pretty decent amount of tread left. It saddens me to think of how much $ I've pissed away on tires that weren't nearly this robust.

These days, I run multi-compound Pilot Roads on my FJR and they last about 5 or 6k miles as did the single-compound tires I've used in years past. I think the harder center compound may prevent the tires from flat spotting as fast, but they don't seem to last much if any longer.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Seeking details on the multi-compound Michelin Commander II 180/65-16 for our cross bikes. Although this site does not explicitly state it as multi-compound, it DOES say that it wears TWICE as long as our OEM tires so I am thinking it's multi-compound, right? First of, I FULLY understand that this is NOT the recommended tire for our bikes AND I fully understand the dimensional differences.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/commander_ii_cruiser_motorcycle_tires/web1010464

However, this "seems" close enough that it "should" be able to work on our bikes, shouldn't it? The additional 5cm height (and fractionally larger diameter of something like .0023) seems like it should work "just fine". It's not like this tire is going to rub on anything and the angular characteristics in motion aren't going to be large enough to cause the tire to loose traction.

Seeking to learn (from the experts here) why this is SUCH a bad idea? Please be as technical as possible in your feedback.
I have the Michelin Commander II on 99 V92C (V92TC once all parts come back from paint) and I love them. I had to go sligtly smaller size on the rear. That OK as I am not that tall, 32 inseam. They are so head and shoulders above the crappy Dunlops it is not funny. I have had 3 sets of Dunlops now and have been flat scared in the corners ans they will not lean. I had 2 sets on my Vstar 1100 and went to Metzlers on it. Love them to. Than the set that was on the Vic. I only have probably 1000 miles on the Commanders, but they sure feel good in the corners.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
For what reason?

Personally, I find the E3s to be great tires. Mine have 10k on them now, the front couldn't be wearing any more perfectly. The rear is developing a bit of a flat spot, but they still handle fine and grip fine as far as it can be leaned over. And both still have a pretty decent amount of tread left. It saddens me to think of how much $ I've pissed away on tires that weren't nearly this robust.
I cannot get more than 10k out of E3s, and for my riding conditions, I eat the center of the tire twice as fast as I use up the sides. I don't like to be wasteful and throw away unused rubber. Goldwing riders rave about the Avon Cobras, so they've made it to the top of my list for the time being. It's the closest thing to a multi-compound that I can find.

I like the fact that the E3s are quiet. However, even though they're not that grippie, they sure do get used up as if they were soft, sticky tires.

I believe that's a hard compound tire, not a multi-compound. Hard compound is great for durability, but not so great for high speed corners.

·
13,254 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
I cannot get more than 10k out of E3s, and for my riding conditions, I eat the center of the tire twice as fast as I use up the sides. I don't like to be wasteful and throw away unused rubber. Goldwing riders rave about the Avon Cobras, so they've made it to the top of my list for the time being. It's the closest thing to a multi-compound that I can find.

I like the fact that the E3s are quiet. However, even though they're not that grippie, they sure do get used up as if they were soft, sticky tires.

I believe that's a hard compound tire, not a multi-compound. Hard compound is great for durability, but not so great for high speed corners.
I believe the Michelin Commander ll uses a very new type of compound that not only wears well but grips very well. My brother knows a guy that did the testing on this tire and he swears by it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like the fact that the E3s are quiet. However, even though they're not that grippie

Hard compound is great for durability, but not so great for high speed corners.
How high are the speeds you're cornering? With nearly 10k miles on the E3s I was chasing a new Kawi Concours through the uber-twisty mountains of West Virginia in both wet and dry conditions, riding two up, beating the floorboards mercilessly and I never once had any confidence issues with the stock tires.

FWIW, I had Avon Storms on my Warrior and they were also good tires, whose mileage really surprised me at the time. But my rear E3 has already lived longer than the rear Storm and the front appears that it too will outlive the front Storm. IIRC, I got about 9k out of the rear Storm and 12k out of the front one.

Testing new things is always good fun, I just wondered if there was some issue with the E3s that I wasn't aware of.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you read for this ?
GoodYear is working hard on a tire made of Soybean Oil and Ford says they will release them on cars in 2015...
Hah! Nice. I am not trying a soy bean tire though. You gotta wonder what they'll come up with next.

I believe the Michelin Commander ll uses a very new type of compound that not only wears well but grips very well. My brother knows a guy that did the testing on this tire and he swears by it.
Wish I could test ride it. The one minus for the Commander II is that the closest size for us is a 180/65-R16 instead of 180/60-R16. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is a minus.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How high are the speeds you're cornering?
130 MPH in accordance to the maximum tire rating. :ltr:

Testing new things is always good fun, I just wondered if there was some issue with the E3s that I wasn't aware of.
There's nothing wrong with the E3s. I just feel they get used up faster than they should, but maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't have any experience with multi compound tires on this boke, but my previous bike had them and I swore by them. It was a 2009 Yamaha FZ1 and I put some Michellin Pilot Road 2s on and they lasted well over 12 thousand miles. For a "Sport Bike" that is pretty damn good. I didn't baby that thing either. LOL

If Michellin were to come out with a multi compound tire for the XR, they would definitely be on after the set of E3s I just had put on. A hard compound on the center of the rear with medium compound on the side and medium compound in the center of the front with a medium - soft compound on the side would be excellent.

Good luck with it though. Also, pay close attention to the load rating on the tires. I was planning on getting some Avon tires but forget why I backed out of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Commander II tire

I have the Commander II tire on my Vision and the wife's CR. I have almost 7K on mine and the tire is every bit as good as the E3 without the corner howling. Both handle wet roads about the same. I got 12K out of the E3 and the way the Commander looks right now, I should get at least 15K out of it. It is also about $50 cheaper than the E3.

By the way, Goodyear does make motorcycle tire. They are branded Dunlop. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
I took my E3's off at 19,961. They still had a tad more left, not much though. I put Bridgestone exedra's on I like them so far.:)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have the Commander II tire on my Vision and the wife's CR. I have almost 7K on mine and the tire is every bit as good as the E3 without the corner howling. Both handle wet roads about the same. I got 12K out of the E3 and the way the Commander looks right now, I should get at least 15K out of it. It is also about $50 cheaper than the E3.

By the way, Goodyear does make motorcycle tire. They are branded Dunlop. :D
Which size rear Commander II are you running? the 180/65-16s that I mentioned? Nobody has come on to say why it wouldn't be "just fine" and it sounds like you are running it with no problems.

To those considering running the Avons, you might want to browse some of the other forums for their reviews. A number of guys said that the Avon's on the X-bikes were not good but I don't know the details as I did not save that thread. So far, the E3's have been fine for me performance and handling-wise. They are just running out of tread on the rear ONLY here a little past 7K miles. Yes, "some" of it may be due to low air pressure here or there but others are getting 15K out of 'em so I need an alternative.

PS - I re-read those threads and they were not guys on XC's but rather were guys with larger width Avon's that were having the sides "blown out" on them. I bought a AV72 so I will update this thread with my observations once I get them on and run them for a bit. Hey, the price was right @ $185 so this is $40 to $50 better than the lowest price I could find on the E3s and these are Radials where as the Dunlops are said to be bias ply and I am a "radial" kinda guy

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Which size rear Commander II are you running? the 180/65-16s that I mentioned? Nobody has come on to say why it wouldn't be "just fine" and it sounds like you are running it with no problems.

To those considering running the Avons, you might want to browse *** for their reviews. A number of guys said that the Avon's on the X-bikes were nearly..."suicide" but I don't know the details as I did not save that thread. So far, the E3's have been fine for me performance and handling-wise. They are just running out of tread on the rear ONLY here a little past 7K miles. Yes, "some" of it may be due to low air pressure here or there but others are getting 15K out of 'em so I think I need to STRONGLY consider Michelin's TWICE THE TREADWEAR claims. Besides, Michelin car tires are pretty much the industry standard so why NOT give their bikes tires a go?
One thing to consider about tires is that their traction can degrade with perfectly good tread. It's all about heat cycles. They alter the makeup of the tire. IOW, you're uber-grippy side rubber could be shot (or at least much less grippy) long before your hard center rubber is worn down.

Another thing to keep in mind is a super hard center strip that lasts indefinitely isn't always a great thing. Sometimes we need to brake hard to avoid moving vans and texting teens. Grip is useful for that too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Which size rear Commander II are you running? the 180/65-16s that I mentioned? Nobody has come on to say why it wouldn't be "just fine" and it sounds like you are running it with no problems

That is the size I am running. Ther is about 3/4" clearance on the front of the swing arm.

I typically ride over 20K miles a year so any tire experiments I do are fairly short. I hope the commander lives up to the hype for mileage.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts