Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,209 Posts
No manufacturer is going to have you flop the bike over to change the oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response guys. I'm thinking of hosing it all down with WD-40 and letting that "light oil" soak in and bond with the spray paint and won't harm the original finish.
Meanwhile testing areas with slightly more aggressive chemicals, and cleaning overspray from lenses for now.
Going to try dropping pics from my phone next . . . . .
WRONG. WD-40 DESTROYS MOST PAINT FINISHES IF LEFT ON. Respectfully.

·
Premium Member
15,316 Posts
WRONG. WD-40 DESTROYS MOST PAINT FINISHES IF LEFT ON. Respectfully.
It's all about timing. Even pain remover can be used but not left on long enough to eat into the clear coat of the original well hardened paint beneath the recent spray paint. Wash and rinse thoroughly afterward.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd try lacquer thinner. Soak a rag and let it sit on it a bit.
Old body and paint man here, so I thought I'd weigh in. If a lacquer thinner soaked rag is left sitting on the paint it will soak through quicker than you think and destroy the original paint finish underneath. If the rattle can paint job is normal cheap lacquer or enamel, may I suggest mineral turpentine and soft rags to remove it. It'll be a slow process but it won't harm the factory paint.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,209 Posts
WD-40 is safe on paint.
I wouldn't leave it on there forever but you not going to hurt the paint hosing it down.

Given how long it's been on there now probably better off going to a body shop and have them work it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts