Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my first step towards buying my first Victory this past weekend by buying my 1st bike. 2004 Yahama V Star 650. It is plenty big, a little under powered, sounds like an 1100, and is a joy to ride. I've put about 200 miles on it from Saturday thru today and I can't wait to enjoy the open road. My next bike, about 8 months-1 year down the road will hopefully be a Victory Crossroads. I have no idea why I waited so long to start riding. 34 years old, Living in Arizona (Phoenix) from Chicago. I can only ride about 320 days of the year out here....can't wait.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I applaud you for not starting on a 1600. Welcome to the riding world. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I went from a Honda Shadow ACE 750 to my 2008 Vegas Low. I'll never look back.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I too came from Chicago and decided its "Motorcycle time" and bought a Harley Vrod. Never felt like it was me so I sold it and bought a Victory Jackpot. AZ. is definitely the place to ride but be careful the snowbirds are brutal to share the road with. Glad you got a bike.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My first bike was a Vulcan 750. Great starter bike and I even miss it sometimes because it was also a great commuter bike.

Some people allow themselves to be pushed into a bigger bike than they want, or worse, can handle. Many end up riding a lot less than they would if not giving up riding all together. Some even after a bad accident.

At least you started riding in your life before I did in mine. I got a learners permit when I was 16 but didn't start riding until I was 42 :eek:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Congrats on joining the fray. I also started late @ 49 but I started with the Ness Cross Country you see in my signature so don't be afraid to step up to the larger bike when you are ready. I have had absolutely ZERO problems riding and/or handling this big girl but a large part of that comfort is rooted in the abilities of this bike. I am also a defensive driver who has never been in any accidents even though I use to drive insanely fast when he was younger (155MPH on the interstate outrunning Mustang's in my prior toy, SCCA racing in my 280z, etc). That defensive mentality has helped me a LOT when riding the bike. A bike is a LOT of fun to drive aggressively but you have to know WHEN to do that and when to NOT drive aggressively. Mountains on highly visible corners...go at it! Driving to the mall through traffic...be ready to dodge that 16 year old who is distracted texting

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Damn you guys are making me feel old, my 1st bike was a 74 Honda CB360!

Don't let people knock you for having a starter bike. A lot of people start with big new bikes a a large number of them find out the hard way that riding in traffic or having a couple close calls freaks them out too much. These poor guys end parking their bikes until they have enough paid off so they can sell them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
My son started on 650 v-star now on 1100 v-star , hes working his way up to victory, but a new born son has his stoped from upsizeing for a little bit. But i know he will make it. He loves vics, wants a kingpin.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I will be here for bike week. Crazy crazy time. Check out Carefree and Cave Creek too

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Jim, I commend you for crawling before running, you gotta get those sea legs before jumping into the big league. Grew up in Chicago - West Rogers Park, but family moved to Portland in 1949 when I was 13. First bike was (are you ready for this?) a Simplex Servi-Cycle...that was back in 1953. It had a low seat, floorboards, forward foot controls, buckhorn handlebars and a belt drive. Moved on to bigger bikes and no cruisers, but more than 60 years later, I am back to low seat, floorboards, forward foot controls, buckhorn handlebars and a belt drive. I've come full circle. Hmm, does that indicate my XR is to be my last bike? Time will tell. I envy you all those days you can ride, but I'll take our rain in lieu of your triple digit temps.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Well Ricz I don't like your political views but the fact your still riding is really cool. Ride safe so you can irritate me for years to come:)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Well Ricz I don't like your political views but the fact your still riding is really cool. Ride safe so you can irritate me for years to come:)
Thanks Dave, its you and the others that keep me going. Even tho we don't agree politically, we do have a common ground when it comes to what to ride and how we are going to protect ourselves. That's cause enough to share a pitcher over, eh kid? cheers

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Anytime, bike week here in AZ coming soon, if your coming let me know. BBQ and beer at mi casa.

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Dave,
Tell me more about this AZ Bike Week thing. When, where, etc. Any links to web sites? You have my curiosity. I'll go anywhere for a free meal. :)

·
Registered
12,162 Posts
Thanks Dave. Lookin' like I had better bring super good earplugs, eh? I have a good friend and fellow Vic rider who lives in Phoenix, and he's been begging me to get over there, so I'll have a place to lay my head. Dunno if'n I'll do all 5 days, but peeking in on one or two might be fun. Not into doing the bottle and throttle together, loud music or dwarf tossing, but that long list of vendors is intriguing along with seeing a bike or two thousand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts