Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post a few pics of my XR.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Sweet Cross!

Your signature lists "Extreme Cycle Sound System" but I don't see it on your bike. Should I see my optometrist, or have you not installed it yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can barely see one of the speakers if you know they are there. I mounted the two speakers, one on each side of the speedometer. They are chrome like the speedo and almost the exact same size so they really look factory. The actual unit itself is mounted in the right side saddlebag so it can't be seen at all and the controller is mounted on the left side mirror mount. It's a very "out of sight" unit which is another reason i liked it so much.

You dont have to mount an MP3 player on your handlebars with this system. It accepts an SD Card, a USB drive or an MP3 player. I currently use a 4gb SD card which has 501 songs on it. Just put it in the slot and ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crossroads,

I've added blue arrows to the pictures to help locate the speakers. Since the pics are so small they're hard to see. Maybe this will help.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They look very low key! :clap:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any chance you can take a couple more pics of the install? I'm thinking of adding it, and i'd kind of like to see what it looks like from rider point of view.

Also, how did you run the wiring? I'm strongly considering this kit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any chance you can take a couple more pics of the install? I'm thinking of adding it, and i'd kind of like to see what it looks like from rider point of view.

Here is a real clear pic of the rider point of view. I dont have one of the unit inside the saddlebag but all i did was velcro it on the inside of the back wall of the bad. That way the wiring could come up through the in the back corner of the saddlebag and right into the unit itself. The hole I'm talking about already has a rubber gromet to seal it from the outside elements.

Anyway I hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! I was really just curious to see what they looked like on the handlbars. Run into any issues with them? How's the sound on the highway?

One more question.... was it easy to swap out the grips on the handlbars? I'm not a fan of the stock ones due to comfort and have been looking at my options, but i've heard the stock ones are a hard changover. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

As far as the wiring goes i ran the wires down through the hole in the back of the saddlebag. There's a bracket right there that i tie wrapped the wires to, from there up through the inside of the rear fender, then under the seat, under the tank, out the front of the tank where all the other wiring and cables are located and up under the gauge to the speakers. Iknow that sounds complicated but it really wasn't....just time consuming. As far as the power source goes...if you'll look under the rear fender all the way in the back you will see two plugs that are not attached to anything. One of them is "HOT" all the time. All I did was secure my "hot" wire into that plug and grounded the unit to the frame. This allows the unit to be turned on even without the key being on. It's not on all the time it still has to be switched on with the remote or the supplied controller.

Sounds difficult but it really was an easy installation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! I was really just curious to see what they looked like on the handlbars. Run into any issues with them? How's the sound on the highway?

One more question.... was it easy to swap out the grips on the handlbars? I'm not a fan of the stock ones due to comfort and have been looking at my options, but i've heard the stock ones are a hard changover. Any thoughts?
Well as you'll see I didnt put them on the handlebars. I dont like alot of accessories on my handlebars. As far as sound goes they sound very good and are quite loud. Obviously the faster you go the less you can hear them. However, even at 60 to 70 on the interstate I can hear them just fine. When I get the urge to really get into it...over 100 mph i cant hear them.

As far as the grips go...the left side was a piece of cake. cut off the old one, apply grip glue to the new one and slide on. Right side was a little tougher but not real bad. The hardest part was getting the throttle cables back into thenew grip. It helps to have someone twiting the throttle just a little past it's "stopping" point so you can take a pair of needle nose pliers and place the end of the cables back into their respective slot on the new grip. By the way, the ones I have are Arlen Ness and I also have the rear pegs as well as the engine covers to match. All of them together really make the bike look good.

Again, hope all this helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well as you'll see I didnt put them on the handlebars. I dont like alot of accessories on my handlebars. As far as sound goes they sound very good and are quite loud. Obviously the faster you go the less you can hear them. However, even at 60 to 70 on the interstate I can hear them just fine. When I get the urge to really get into it...over 100 mph i cant hear them.

What did you use to attach the speakers on either side of the spedo?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What did you use to attach the speakers on either side of the spedo?
You can't really tell from the pic but all I did was drill a small hole in each windshield bracket that runs sort of diagoally behind the speedo. I then used the "L" shaped brackets that come with the system and simply bolted the speakers to the windshield frame. You just have to be careful that your measurements are really precise so the speakers are located in the same spot on each side of the speedo. Sounds complicated I kow but it really wasn't at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts