Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I'm starting a different thread because it will get confusing if two of us are discussing trying to fix our separate bikes in one thread...

I have issue similar to the other front end wobble thread.

Bars shaking side to side at low speed like less than 15 MPH. Feels almost like my handlebars not connected to the wheel it's scary as hell feeling like I'm going to fall over.

There's almost nothing worse than getting into a tankslapper situation.

One would think the average male could muscle the bike to stop the bars from going side to side but no one is strong enough once it gets going.
I dunno about that. I was running up to triple digits that is fine zero issues after noticing this weird slow speed thing. My problem is low speed I don't know what is going on. At time I first noticed this I had bike loaded up with all my crap for camping thought okay maybe just top heavy. I was commuting to work all week zero issues before noticing my low speed wobbly situation.
I did have a thought that maybe I messed something up on a pothole along my trip?

It could be the rider too but as I said I've been commuting and not feeling anything unusual prior to my lengthy trip.

Only thing I did different before the trip is I changed the oil in the bike. Set it to proper level and away I went.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right rear brake only?

This isn't a tank slapper feels solid as can be with speed but something is screwed up at low speed. When I'm rolling I have dynamic balancers front and rear that eliminate any issues.

Never touched front of this bike but I did change the rear tire so I'll check if anything loosened on the rear and go over the front. I read on forum there are detail troubleshooting steps in the service manual so I'll look into that too.

I'll even check the oil again since that is literally the last work done.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oops. I shouldn't be responding in this thread. The OP failed to list his bike and year in his sig line. Mea culpa.
Maybe because it is in the subject.

I did not want to create confusion with the other thread. We may have similar but not the same issues. My issue is just rolling slow where theirs seems to be higher speed up to 30.

I'm definitely confused though. Bike will get jacked up when I get home. Hoping it's just something loose that isn't steering bearings because that is a day long project to reach on a CCT.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Bike will get jacked up when I get home. Hoping it's just something loose that isn't steering bearings because that is a day long project to reach on a CCT.
Please excuse the chuckles coming from the Cross Roads people on here.:devil

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please excuse the chuckles coming from the Cross Roads people on here.:devil
Oh I know. I love the bike and I'm hoping it is something stupid simple to fix! Makes no sense to me how bike goes from great smooth low speed to shaky handlebars in a day. Yet I can run 90 without any sign of trouble. I'll post about it when I get it figured out.

·
12,983 Posts
when you loaded it down with all your stuff did you add air to the tires to make up for the heavy load. Did you add air to the shock.
Just cause you don't want to fit in I'll still try to help.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not added shock air but I have thought of that. Drop in outside air temperature would that have effect on shock pressure? I had that thought but haven't checked yet.

Bike feels great up to speed with zero sign of trouble when my dynamic balancing is doing the job. This is a low speed like parking lot issue and it's frustrating. Not had time to look into it yet been insane wind today cold and power out at home.

Decided I'll check the rear end first since that was last major work before oil. I've done nothing to front on this bike.

I'm also going to go for a ride and try to see if it goes away with clutch in. Hard to get rolling slow without engine but I'll try.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
On my 2012 CCT every once in a very long time at low parking lot speeds my handlebars would momentarily feel like they're spaghetti instead of stainless steel. I mean this has only happened like 3 or 4 times in over 62K miles. I 'think' what may contribute to that feeling is the application of the brakes and/or the strength of the grip on the hand grips. I typically have a soft grasp on the hand grips and in a parking lot I typically only use the rear break.

If you're going out to a parking lot to try a few things, try having a firm grip on the hand grips vs a soft grasp. Also try front only vs rear only vs front and rear braking to see if those are contributing factors. I honestly do not think you have a bearing issue anywhere of any kind unless you get the spaghetti bars on a regular basis regardless of your grasp on the grips and your braking technique. Even then I'd suggest downshifting one or two gears in the parking lot first to see if that changes anything before I'd chase a bearing. Engine breaking is your friend on the Victory. But once you're under 15 mph or so and coming to a stop, pull in the clutch and use the brakes. Brake pads are less expensive to replace than clutch parts.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spaghetti bars is a good description. Now try that going up a steep hill driveway to reach the road.
I made it but I felt the whole 30 ft up that 45 degree drive that I was not in control. :(

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Are your riser bolts loose or the bushings deteriorated?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are your riser bolts loose or the bushings deteriorated?
What bushings?

I think if bolts on the bars were loose that would be felt at all speeds but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Seem to have some drag with the front pads so I'll clean up the slide pins and see if that changes anything. My first bike with two front calipers. If I remove one side pads then wheel spins several times but both sides on won't spin as much. I'll look up bleeding brakes I assume it's same as my other bike just more fluid with all the lines.

Feels smooth turning bars so I don't think that is an issue.

I'll check the rear end too to see if anything loosened after my rear tire change 1000+ miles ago.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
What bushings?

I think if bolts on the bars were loose that would be felt at all speeds but it's worth a look.

Most large bikes wobble to some extent at some speed before 40mph. Then it goes away.

Here is an article that talks about the wobble issue, if you google wobble and weave you will find more.
Wobble is a feature and when everything is right it can be hardly noticeable in some bikes unless you are aware of it and looking for it.

https://www.cycleworld.com/why-do-motorcycles-wobble-and-weave#page-5

I looked at the parts fiche and there appear to be some sort of bushings that go into the top tree that the riser bolts pass through. Maybe they have deteriorate and allowing the risers to float.
Or might be that the riser bolts were never tightened properly when they put the risers on and one maybe backing itself off. The effect would be the same.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting. My issue is just low speed parking lot type stuff though. I didn't see any looseness when I had the front end jacked up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right side pads were dragging from gunk on the slide pins. Cleaned all the pins and nice 50 degree ride with no weird slow speed handling. Not saying that's the cure but for the moment I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Right side pads were dragging from gunk on the slide pins. Cleaned all the pins and nice 50 degree ride with no weird slow speed handling. Not saying that's the cure but for the moment I'm optimistic.
Hopefully you got it :smile

1 - 18 of 18 Posts