Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone-

I've been riding motorcycles since I was 10 and haven't been without one except for a year or so after I broke my leg in a bike wreck in 1988. For quite a few years I owned mostly Harleys but in 2013 I bought a friend's 2007 Hammer. I fell in love with how it looked and performed but never felt completely comfortable with the handling of the 250 rear tire. I also wanted electronic cruise control which wasn't available for the '07 cruiser models. After doing some research I found that Victory made an add on cruise control unit for the 2009 & later models. I ended up selling the Hammer & bought a 2011 Vegas. It handles better than the Hammer & since I installed the cruise control it's more comfortable on longer rides. The only disappointment I have is with the transmission. The 6 speed in the Hammer shifted as smooth as butter but the Vegas even with over 10,000 miles still feels as notchy as an old BMW boxer. Perhaps the detent springs are too stiff. Hopefully someone here can provide a simple solution to the hard shifting.

Anyway, many thanks for all who've worked so diligently to make this such an enjoyable forum!

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
Well V; it's really quite simple. Victory, in its wisdom, decided to do some transmission changes because there were so many people coming from Asian and European bikes that had such a silky smooth shifter. They forgot why they moved to a Victory. An American big twin with a damn near bullet proof transmission.

Your 07 Hammer had the same trans as every other Vic made at the time. It was strong but sometimes clunky depending on how the shifter was. You could literally take two of the same model bikes from the same year coming off the line, one right after the other, and have two completely different feeling transmissions.

I cannot answer why that is/was but it is a fact of life for the Vic's.

You either lucked out or you didn't. I have had 4 Vic's starting with an 09 JP that I just didn't care for. As good as it was; it simply didn't speak to me if you know what I mean.

After that I got an 11 XC. That bike is still my baby but I also got an 04 KP not too long after that and really loved it. Then, out of the blue, this other 04 KP became available that was a super buy and had everything I wanted to do to the first 04 so I bought it and sold the first one.

Money is not part of the equation as far as how much I like each bike. They are both fantastic and do not want to ever give either one up but time will tell how that story ends. :)

I don't see any info about where you live. If you really like the bike; there are ways to make it exactly how you want it to be but I can't give you any more info until you let us know where you live.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BBob- Thanks for sharing your experiences with your Vics. A couple of my friends owned some of the early V92s with transmission problems so I was thinking that maybe transmissions weren't the Victory engineers' strong point. From what I've seen on You Tube, the engine has to come apart to service the transmission. That's one nice feature about '03 & earlier Harley Sportsters, the transmission can be serviced with the engine together.

·
Registered
886 Posts
As pointed out by Bbob, there are quite a few basic operational differences between off-shore and NA motorcycles. If your experience history was all on HD products the Vic is a recognized step up. If your life has been spent on Japanese products the the Vic is a noticeable step down in many aspects.

The transmissions, engine functionality and tuning variances noted throughout the forums is just plain and simple poor quality control on the builders part. There's no reason there to be such a wide difference in how each engine/transmission assembly should work. This isn't new technology and not overly complicated. Polaris just doesn't have a handle on it because that would cost more. A conscious choice on their part. While I personally think they have a better product, Vic certainly wouldn't have the customers if the price of their bikes was on par with the HD.

I too am perturbed about a few things on the Vic however for me the good outweighs the bad. I still get a thrill hitting the highway every time. If I didn't, perhaps I'd be on a GW, Roadstar, F6B, Vaquero, whatever. Or perhaps there'd be quirks about those that don't make it perfect as well.

Best thing I found for making the shifts easier is to keep the rpm's up and shift up under acceleration and pay attention to the revs on the down. Casually changing the gears will clunk every time.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Hi FlyingV
My hammer has always been a clunker- maybe because it's a Monday bike....who knows......it's never been dropped.......anyway, I found changing the brand of oil makes a huge difference; bearing in mind it gets plenty hot here and I ride hard, often revving between 4.5 and 5.5k. So read this and maybe this solution can work for you;
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=121425
Oh and by the way- despite the poor shifting which is now greatly improved because of the change of brand of oil, I love my Hammer and will (hopefully) never sell it- I hope to get another Victory in a few years when and if possible..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi FlyingV
My hammer has always been a clunker- maybe because it's a Monday bike....who knows......it's never been dropped.......anyway, I found changing the brand of oil makes a huge difference; bearing in mind it gets plenty hot here and I ride hard, often revving between 4.5 and 5.5k. So read this and maybe this solution can work for you;
http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=121425
Oh and by the way- despite the poor shifting which is now greatly improved because of the change of brand of oil, I love my Hammer and will (hopefully) never sell it- I hope to get another Victory in a few years when and if possible..........
Hi Krisd- After reading the thread you sent me the link to, it seems like that may be part of the problem. When the oil gets hot the viscosity of the oil gets thinner & doesn't lubricate the shifting mechanism as much. Victory recommends their 20W/40 synthetic blend motor oil in the manual. I bought a case of Shaeffer's synthetic blend 20W/50 oil that I might try and see if it affects the shifting at all. I also tend to think 5000 miles between oil changes is a bit too much for an air cooled engine even though the engine holds 5 quarts. I've put 2600 miles on the bike since the last oil change and it's starting to look dirty already. I rode it to an Independence Day party yesterday and it seemed to shift OK. The temperature here was in the mid to high 70s when I left and maybe 65 during my ride home.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
115f

You ought to ride it and shift it at 115F outside in stop and go traffic then things can be fun. I recently tried another brand of oil (not an oil thread!) full synthetic T-6 and am liking the way the bike runs and shifts a lot. thumb up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts