Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning and thank you for your input on these forums. I, like many others, read a lot of material online before we (my wife and me) made a decision and purchase. We shopped around and sat on a number of bikes, test riding a few of them. I think we have a pretty decent selection of motorcycles in San Deigo County, and we visited most dealers.

For our beginner bike, we wanted something comfortable. Comfort is both what feels good now and what you are used to. Comfort also is part of feeling of ones ability to handle the vehicle. Comfort on price, including maintenance and insurance was important too, but we did not even consider price until we narrowed down our choices.

We are used to heated seats, ABS, wind protection, adjustable seats (in relation to floorboards), stereo sound with iPhone integration, smooth handling, and quiet transportation. After talking with a salesperson while my wife sat on the back of the XCT (or is it CCT) for about 20 minutes, I asked her about comfort and she said, “I could fall asleep back here.” That sums up her comfort (the most important kind). My comfort didn’t come until I test rode a few bikes including small Hondas, a couple of Harleys, and then the XCT. Then, when we were pretty sure we wanted the XCT, we test rode it with my wife on too (getting a motorcycle was her idea).

So, as far as I am concerned, Victory does make a beginner bike. It is something you can adapt to easily. We chose the XCT because the was the learning curve was the smallest for us. It is also a beginner bike because it came in basic black. Maybe when I get more experience I can upgrade to flat paint, flames, or for the truly initiated, skulls. But for now, I am a beginner and the gloss black bike with heated seats, grip warmers, adjustable foot placement, iPhone compatibility, adjustable wind deflection, and enough cargo space to make a trip to COSTCO seems to be just right for us. Do I still count as a beginner if I had a Honda XL80 back in 1986? If not, disregard and convince Victory to make a Beginner Bike. Thanks again for your help.

·
Administrator
5,975 Posts
Good morning and thank you for your input on these forums. I, like many others, read a lot of material online before we (my wife and me) made a decision and purchase. We shopped around and sat on a number of bikes, test riding a few of them. I think we have a pretty decent selection of motorcycles in San Deigo County, and we visited most dealers.

For our beginner bike, we wanted something comfortable. Comfort is both what feels good now and what you are used to. Comfort also is part of feeling of ones ability to handle the vehicle. Comfort on price, including maintenance and insurance was important too, but we did not even consider price until we narrowed down our choices.

We are used to heated seats, ABS, wind protection, adjustable seats (in relation to floorboards), stereo sound with iPhone integration, smooth handling, and quiet transportation. After talking with a salesperson while my wife sat on the back of the XCT (or is it CCT) for about 20 minutes, I asked her about comfort and she said, “I could fall asleep back here.” That sums up her comfort (the most important kind). My comfort didn’t come until I test rode a few bikes including small Hondas, a couple of Harleys, and then the XCT. Then, when we were pretty sure we wanted the XCT, we test rode it with my wife on too (getting a motorcycle was her idea).

So, as far as I am concerned, Victory does make a beginner bike. It is something you can adapt to easily. We chose the XCT because the was the learning curve was the smallest for us. It is also a beginner bike because it came in basic black. Maybe when I get more experience I can upgrade to flat paint, flames, or for the truly initiated, skulls. But for now, I am a beginner and the gloss black bike with heated seats, grip warmers, adjustable foot placement, iPhone compatibility, adjustable wind deflection, and enough cargo space to make a trip to COSTCO seems to be just right for us. Do I still count as a beginner if I had a Honda XL80 back in 1986? If not, disregard and convince Victory to make a Beginner Bike. Thanks again for your help.
Congrats on the XCT and welcome to the forum. cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
That's the way to do it lol
welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
459 Posts
As a beginner, I would advise ride a bunch in all kinds of conditions WITHOUT a rider for awhile. Get used to that big bike.

Then, pack it full of stuff. Then ride some more.

Then ride w/a rider.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad your happy with your XCT and welcome! I plan on getting one myself to add to my stable, I have seven bikes but my V92C is my favorite! That's a big jump from your earlier bike, I would recommend taking a Rider course at your earliest opportunity. Even an old dog like me who's been riding for forty + years can always learn new tricks for staying safe so I take one at least bi-annually.

Safe Riding!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not a bad way to start

I too started out with a big bike and I had no experience on motorcycles. I took a class to get my motorcycle endorsement and then 14 months later found a Yamaha Venture. I was 200 miles from home and had never ridden a bike other than in the parking lot of the training course. But the training held true and I made it home and was riding with my wife that same afternoon.

They say to get a smaller bike and get comfortable and I am sure that is good advise but I couldn't afford to buy bike after bike so I got the touring bike that Mo and I would be comfortable with. We now have a CCT and love it.
San Diego county should offer some great riding as well as great roads out and beyond.
Mikey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did take the rider safety course. I was impressed with both how basic it was as well as how comprehensive it was at the same time. I felt so much better after taking that class.

Fifteen years ago I got my motorcycle permit (in California you just need to take the written test, and you are given a learners permit that only restricts you from riding at night, with a passenger, or on a freeway). The plan was to ride and eventually buy my father-in-law's Goldwing since he could no longer ride it. Without any mentors or training I was in why over my head. What I learned at twelve years old on a little bike had no translation to that big beast. I probably put only a couple hundred miles on it, and after a few near death experiences, I stopped riding. I never did enjoy it.

But that was then and this is now. I was just telling a friend today that I could not believe how much I enjoy riding this XCT. Remember this was my wife’s idea. I went up to Palomar Mountain yesterday. The roads were dry, but the snow on the side of the road was a little disheartening. When I left the house this morning, it was 37 degrees, but it warmed up to 50 pretty quick and was very comfortable. This bike is great.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I took the BRC course back in 03 and consider myself a proficient rider but recently ordered the Ride Like a Pro DVD. Never stop practicing the basics. Gonna brush up on some skills this spring.

Enjoy your new scoot. You picked the best.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
A CCT is a bit unusual as a first bike but as long as the weight of the thing doesn't give you any trouble it can be a good choice. It will mean no need to upgrade for a good many years into the future. I ride a Vision today but would not even have considered a bike that heavy when I was starting out 45 years ago. Heck, back then a full dresser HD only weighed in around 600 pounds.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Ah, another scholar from the school of diving into the deep end first. Check out Capt. Crash and Ride Like A Pro videos on YouTube. You can thank me later. BTW, great choice of bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts