Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Opps,mileage?

How many miles on your bike? Do you lube you clutch cable at all?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
What year and model? This was one of my concerns when I was looking at buying a Victory. I had read numerous reports of repeated low mileage failures. Talking with a Victory rep at the IMS I was assured the problem has been taken care of. I'm left wondering if I should be purchasing a ride saver clutch cable repair kit. Not sure what year the "fix" was implemented. Has this problem been solved on current model bikes?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Problem taken care of--not so sure.
Had a 07 Kingpin tour and the cable broke at about 6500 miles. I admit I wasn't religious about cable lubing. The cable was replaced under warranty and then I did get religion about lubing. No problems after that and I was really looking at them more closely for wear. I also deburred the clutch lever where the barrel and cable make contact. Others had mentioned that they did this and had some success. The other thing I did was pick up a save-ur-ride emergency clutch cable from one of the victory vendors that frequent this site. Cycle-ops or Witchdoctor I think. A little piece of mind goes a long way. The save-ur-ride is about 50 bucks I believe. Planning to pick another one up for the XCT. Again piece of mind.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Problem taken care of--not so sure.
Had a 07 Kingpin tour and the cable broke at about 6500 miles. I admit I wasn't religious about cable lubing. The cable was replaced under warranty and then I did get religion about lubing. No problems after that and I was really looking at them more closely for wear. I also deburred the clutch lever where the barrel and cable make contact. Others had mentioned that they did this and had some success. The other thing I did was pick up a save-ur-ride emergency clutch cable from one of the victory vendors that frequent this site. Cycle-ops or Witchdoctor I think. A little piece of mind goes a long way. The save-ur-ride is about 50 bucks I believe. Planning to pick another one up for the XCT. Again piece of mind.
I have done the same. After smoothing the barrel edge and keeping it lubed 60,000 miles and it dosen't show any signs of wear. I do keep an eye on it to make sure it is lubed and not wearing. Also I keep save your ride cable in the bag.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10k on the miles. and no on the grease. but im going to get the dremil on it and start using grease. it didnt break all the way off probably half of the wires are still in there. it just brought the lever back close to the grip. i was able to drive it back home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I broke my clutch cable today. Reading the posts I see a few mentions of "save your ride" cables. Wondering if someone can explain a bit how these work? Hopefully I can get a new cable tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I got a save ur ride from Noemtz and after a few thousand it broke..I got another and I got a easy clutch from vic only..
http://www.victoryonly.com/
It reduced clutch pull alot. I love the way it feels now and due to the lighter pull there will be less stress or force on the cable..I adjusted the clutch and it works great

·
13,236 Posts
We should look at what other model bikes Honda Kawasaki Suzuki's and see if they run the same cable. So if ours breaks and you know the dealers will not have one some one ells might.
Sure hate to loose a holiday riding cause no cable

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe EZ clutch was first introduced by Arizona Victory. Be carefull. After years of selling them they are warning people they can cause extra wear and early breakage of the cable due to the leverage effect, and to be extra diligent about checking for proper play in clutch or it can "ride the clutch."

It definately helps soften clutching. They are great guys to warn of the side effects before selling.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
good heads up on the easy clutch. The key to any clutch is proper adjustment no doubt. But I do disagree on the cable breakage issue. the mechanic advantage is more therefore less stress on the cable. ( Its not pulling as hard to do the same job) = less force on cable. The shorter the leverage arm (stock) the harder the cable has to pull to get the same job done which is why the cables break. anyway thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
this is ridiculous!

Mine snapped today... 1/4 mile from home as I was starting out on a 3 day 1000 mile trip!... TG it snapped when it did. Trip canceled as I had no "repair" cable and it's Labor Day Weekend, no shops open at 4pm on a Saturday. I ordered two of the repair cables when I got home, this won't be ruining any more trips for me. I'm new to Victory and still learning the brands little "quirks"...

I've owned 12 bikes of all sizes and types in my life and put over 200,000 miles on them combined, this is the first Clutch cable failure I've ever had... ridiculous!...

I've learned my lesson, I'll never go anywhere again without the cable repair kit in by bags

This bike has the stiffest clutch pull by far of any bike I've ever owned, it's a 2007 8 ball with 8000 miles on it, just bought it a month ago. mostly I like it, but it sure has it's quirks.:eek

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
My 2010 Vegas had a very stiff clutch before Easyclutch, now it feels like 'normal'
Cleaning checking and maintaining 2mm play is critical.
Only takes ten minutes so I service mine every 2500 miles.
Probably overkill but so far so good, clutch is fine.

·
Registered
436 Posts
56,000 miles on my Xroads and the origional cables. I put lithium grease on both barrels at every oil change (3500 miles) after cleaning them with WD 40. They show no where at this point

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
56,000 miles on my Xroads and the origional cables. I put lithium grease on both barrels at every oil change (3500 miles) after cleaning them with WD 40. They show no where at this point
Good to hear Donzo,..thats the key, preventative maintenance,
Keep the cable ends regularly cleaned and lubed and adjusted and its sweet.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My XR broke the clutch cable at 27 K miles. I admit I was not too religious about lubing the cable ends, but I don't think this contributed to the failure. What happened is the cable pulled right out of the barrel! (At the engine end). Fortunately it happened in my driveway. I replaced it with a Barnett cable from WD. I also got a Sav-yur-Ride from WD as well. The Barnett cable is much better quality than OEM...IMHO

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought my 2008 Kingpin two years ago and had the clutch cable break five months later, in heavy Houston traffic. Got it home starting it in gear and shifting without the clutch. I put a barrel nut on the cable and ordered a Sav-Ur-Ride. The barrel nut is still holding up. I found that my clutch lever was not allowing free travel of the cable end and allowed it to bend the cable when pulled all the way in. Dressed it up with a dremel tool. BTW, the cable ends looked clean and well greased. It just broke clean right at the cable end, probably from flexing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts