Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
douglas and frye in sterling il. sent all their bikes back. said
they had sold 1 vic all year. at least i can get service there.
too bad.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Were you the 1 vic.Thought maybe you got another one....:)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this one is probably my last

·
Registered
781 Posts
Maybe it's just my cynical nature- but this tells me that this dealer could not have been trying too hard- in any phase of the operation. You reap what you sow.

I suppose there could be something legit that has been killing him- a close by mega store sucking all the air out of the room for example. Or- maybe the entire store is having financial issues which still goes back to bad management usually.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I agree with JD. He had more focus on other brands. I had a local dealer here who was multi-brand including Victory. That was where I got my GoldWing parts and stuff. Went there to look at Vic, all Vics gone. Took a long time for his dealership to be removed from Vic's website.

Went by there a while ago and they've totally closed up shop.

Meanwhile, the dealer I bought my bike from is thriving. He's a Vic-only dealer (and other Polaris products).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Don't give up on Victory, they build great bikes but you will get better dealer support in the USA from Bultaco Ossa, Rupp, and Henderson.

Once Victory makes the sale, you as a consumer don't mean ****!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Don't give up on Victory, they build great bikes but you will get better dealer support in the USA from Bultaco Ossa, Rupp, and Henderson.

Once Victory makes the sale, you as a consumer don't mean ****!!!!!
What's weird is that's everywhere not just here and there. I know there are good dealers but the crap ones seem to outweigh the good ones.

·
Registered
483 Posts
" but you will get better dealer support in the USA from Bultaco Ossa, Rupp, and Henderson."

And that is exactly what will kill Vic...if momma-Vic doesn't get a handle on it. Particularly going head to head with H/D. H/D dealer support, accessories , lifestyle...etc. is what keeps their loyalty to a large part.....[IMO]

When I went to a local multi-dealer...it was almost like they were 'steering' me away from Vic. Pointing me toward Kawasaki & Yamaha...and even KTM. I bought mine from a private sale, set about getting the hard bags ordered for it, from that same dealer. All I heard was bitchin' bout Vic this & that, why the hell they do that & this...not good in front of a customer.

If I had not been head strong in wanting to try one ?...I might have gone another way, when I was looking at new ?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think I could get better service for my Vic at the Lawn Boy Service shop.OUR DEALERS SUCK!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bought my big girl from a multi-dealer in Mackay, QLD.
All they cared about was the dollar (a little bit too much) - even had the bike marked up above Vic's RRP which i had to 'negotiate' back down. tried to sell me Boardwalk bags for $2k AUD, safe to say they've never heard from me again.

Dropped into Brisbane Vic once they opened up and have since been to Melbourne's Vic shop, both were fantastic. Vic brisbane got my 3k total worth of accessories, shame they weren't around when i bought my bike.
I recommend them to everyone who comes up to ask about my bike.. and in central qld it's every second rider who sees you at a petrol station.

every multi-dealer is going to push whoever gives them the biggest kickback, the rest just set them up as an advertising point to get more wallets in the door. Shame in this case it's Vic who has suffered but we'll all be better off once the wheat is sorted from the chaff!

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
every multi-dealer is going to push whoever gives them the biggest kickback, the rest just set them up as an advertising point to get more wallets in the door.
I agree with this. Was the same way when I worked at a local camera shop.
Camera A was excellent, but pricy. Lowest 'spiff'
Camera B was horrible quality, less pricy. Higher spiff.
Guess which one they sold more of?

I was the repair manager. I saw almost every single one of those cheapies come back because they were plain awful.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I've been to D&F on a few occasions. It's mostly a Honda shop that had Vics on the floor. In an 18 month span I don't remember seeing turnover of the Vics. I was was mostly ignored by the people behind the Parts Counter and the Vic accessories they did have on display were clearly a few years old. Sterling, IL is a fairly out of the way location. A small population in an out the way town. I suppose they sell more Honda 4 wheelers than Honda motorcycles as well.

Those who ever thought of going to D&F would be MUCH better served making the trip to Randy's in Marengo, IL. Victory Motorcycles is their main stay, not an after thought.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
When I had my Vic's Victory of Mesa was incredible. The other 2 dealers in the area not so much. Find a good one and even if you have to travel its worth. V of Mesa 30 minutes other. Place 5-10 minutes I chose Mesa

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
4 wheelers and side x sides were all they had been selling.
had 2 F6B's and neither sold. ive always had good luck there
w/sales and service. they arent in a major market or near
a large city. honda,kymco, and polaris products.
of course i havent had work in my shop for a while, either.
our small town has no industries.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
When I had my Vic's Victory of Mesa was incredible. The other 2 dealers in the area not so much. Find a good one and even if you have to travel its worth. V of Mesa 30 minutes other. Place 5-10 minutes I chose Mesa
Agreed Victory of Mesa is a good place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my used Kingpin from Cherokee Trikes in Greer,SC. I dealt with the owner (father & son run) and I've had no complaints at all. I was able to negotiate a under NADA price on the bike and I get 10% parts & accessories all the time. They are a Victory, Indian and multi-brand trike dealer. They have more Vic's & Indians though. Their great customer service keeps me going back. More than likely I'll get my 2nd Victory there. That's unfortunate that some of you have had bad experiences. I can see how that would sour the brand for you.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
It would be nice to have a superstore for Victory and that being the only kind of dealership. I think Polaris is heading in that direction. Putting under one roof the Indian, Victory, Off roaders, and now the Slingshot series. Problem is the existing little mom and pop shops don't want it. Too much pressure to try and succeed. I'm surprised my local dealer is expanding as he talked retirement last year. He just got back from the dealer convention and is now fired up to expand. Having a good chunk of real estate on U.S1 gives him an advantage. I told him that he should pull Indian in. He's more excited about the Slingshot. He will always love Victory and will always sell them so that's re assuring. I wonder what happened at that meeting?

Dealerships are market driven. if you live in nowhere, state. then you get what you get. All the major players (boutiques) are in major population areas.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My Vic dealer is a Vic and Polaris only. They don't have a ton on hand regarding Vics. They have 1 of every model and a couple CC and a couple CCT. They told me that Victory is 20% of their annual business, the side by sides is their $ maker. They must be doing pretty good though because when I was in there last they were getting ready to demo the back wall and double the size of the building. Everybody in my area has a side by side...and it's a Polaris :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
The 2 closest dealers to me are Vic and everything Polaris. They also sell boats, Jet Skis and it looks as though the bikes are an afterthought. They stock nothing for bikes--- and I mean nothing. They do have gloves and a very few chrome parts--all could fit in a 55 gal drum. Nobody on site has heard of Lloyd or Kyle, nor do they know what to do or how to guide you over the phone.

When I was changing the bars on the XR, I had them power coated and I needed the small plastic buttons that plug into the bars that have the slot to run the plastic tie through so you can wrap your cables together. Of course they had none in stock, so I ordered 5 at less than $2 each. Took me a week to get them and I had to pay $10 shipping for parts that cost less then that. Yes, that more than doubled the price of the items even though I had to wait for their normal delivery.

I am not even going to get into the clutch cable or the rear tire stories or spanner wrench.

BUT IF YOU NEED A TIRE FOR AN ATV, THEY GOT YOU COVERED!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
It's better for every Vic owner if we all ignore the bad dealers so they'll drop the brand. What's the point of supporting a dealer that isn't willing to support you or your motorcycle?

At the same time, support the good dealers as much as possible. Don't be offended that they need to make money from your purchases. Riding a few hundred miles for a superior dealer should be a no brainer. Obviously if you had to tow a bike a few hundred miles that would certainly be an issue. But then so is going to a suspect dealer just because they're fairly near by.

On some of my travels, visited an Indian dealer that also has Victory motorcycles available. One of their salesmen told me their Victory sales are few and far between. I looked around the shop and they obviously concentrate on Indian. IMHO, Victory is no more than an afterthought for them. I completely understood why their Victory sales are few and far between. I wouldn't want to purchase a motorcycle from a shop knowing I cared more for the brand than the selling dealer.

Though lately I'm feeling many of us Victory owners care more about the brand than Polaris Industries does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts