Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not much of a Nascar fan. I've never watched an entire race. I have a friend from FL who is a huge fan. He was up here in western NC for a motorcycling weak and realized that Bristol, TN is only 90 minutes or so north of here. He has always wanted to go to a race at Bristol so he and his wife made plans to fly up this way two weekends ago for the race. I went with. It was an impressive place. Truly the coliseum they say it is. I wore earplugs and the sound level, according to my friend was way more than in any other Nascar race he has been to. We had seats in row 3 very near the start/finish line.

Not being much of a fan, I picked the driver I was rooting for based on the name and I chose Matt DiBenedetto long before the race started because he had very few others rooting for him and I liked the name :) My friend (Chase Elliott and Kurt Busch fan - well, I think it was Kurt. Whichever of the brothers is the older one is who he likes) said Dibenedetto had no chance. Well, my driver finished 2nd while his were 5th and 9th so beginner's luck won on this day :)

I won't be going back to a Nascar race anytime soon but am glad I went to one and this seemed a good one to attend. Below are some pics: 1) a wide view of the Bristol motor speedway coliseum, 2) the cars rounding curve 4 coming toward the race start, and 3) a closeup of a car showing how near to the track we were.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Four wheel yacht racing and a personality cult. :(
I'll take road racing any day to Nastycar. They make right turns too.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
While I never have been a fan either, I would probably attend under those circumstances.

I do have relatives down street that race in lower level than NASCAR and they have raced several times at Bristol. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I went to my first (and last!) in Loudon NH a few years ago. Friggin LOUD!! Joey Logano is my guy, mainly because my dad likes him and because he’s also from Connecticut. Good enough reason as any I suppose.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<snip>Joey Logano is my guy, mainly because my dad likes him and because he’s also from Connecticut. Good enough reason as any I suppose.
Certainly as good or better a reason than my "I like the name" :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am a Nascar fan... I watch it on TV - at least have it on the tv in the background while I'm doing other stuff or I call it Napcar and turn it on during a nap.
The thought of going to a race I don't find very appealing having to sit there for that many hours but Bristol Would be at the top of the list of tracks that I would consider.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like to hear from folks out side the sport to see what they think. I worked for NASCAR for a smige over 15yr. I was a fan before I went to work for them. I worked all the series, and you have to turn off the "fan" thing and not have a "favorite" But I was a Tony Stewart guy when he was in Cup, just a no nonsense kind of guy.
So back to your first race. For an experience you really couldnt have picked a better track. Close enough to see everything and lots of action everywhere usually. Road racing has its pros also, I like it. Takes a little different mentality. Broggy nothing against your "local" or close track there NH. But I like the area, but working that race was a pain. We stayed over in Concord and drove back and forth every day. Then trying to get out Sunday after race with only one road...... Richmond is a good track to visit. And ya have to try one of the super speedways Daytona or Talladega. If you dont want to battle the Sunday crowd, try a Truck series race or Xfinity. Yea they are loud, but the bigger the track it goes down some depending on where your sitting.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
djh3, Why do you think Nascar attendance is so down. The stands for the race at Bristol I attended were at best 50% full. My friend who experiences more races than I do says this is normal for Nascar now. 5 years ago the stands would be full and now they are 50% full or less.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Probably due to NASCAR futzing with all the technical requirements and limitations. "The Chase". Etc.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Brother if I had the answer I would make millins. Part of it is the folks that were big fans in 90's are dead. Younger generation is into electronics not cars. Most couldnt find a blown fuse. So understang aerodynamics and mechanical advantages etc just escapes them. Then add in that nascar changes up things trying to make it more like stick and ball sport irritates the old fans you still had.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
NASCAR has become a lot like our educational system--placing limits on the achievers to make all appear equal. I don't like that happening in our schools or on the race tracks. I go back to those days before it was called NASCAR and the cars were what was available in the showrooms, only with numbers on them. The motto was; Win on Sunday, sell on Monday.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You would have to go to early 60 to get "showroom" type race cars . Mid 60 guys started building off stock frames an adding to. I have a friend that was a crew chief in late 60 early 70 and they were stripped down and rebuilt with "special" race parts back then too. Rules were a lot more open, but look at some of the race results. Guys won by 6 or 7 laps over next place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts