Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

So if anyone's been following the forums, you know that my fuel pump died outside Sturgis, etc.

Anyways, the symptoms were that I could hear the fuel pump running, but it wouldn't build any pressure. So automatically I relate the problem to the fuel pressure regulator. I pull the pump out of the tank and sure enough the FPR wiggles around in its mount completely loose. I remove the two screws holding it in and the o-rings surrounding it are naturally hardened and flaking away. (Thanks ethanol!)

To the point... I searched around different part stores for a day and found that a 1994 Jeep Wrangler uses and almost identical fuel pressure regulator except it has a vacuum plug on the back. I ordered the o-rings for it for roughly $11 and the fuel pump works perfectly again. ~52psi running and under load.

In the end... At first I was quoted $650 for a new pump(is it gold plated?). Then I was faced with a $200 rebuild(which is a great deal). But I then found this fix for $11.

If anyone else is troubled with this unfortunate fuel pump problem, please look into this simple fix if it applies to your situation. I've rebuilt BMW engines from the ground up and still choked over the cost of parts on this American bike... Hopefully this helps somebody.

Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2005 hammer.

If you're talking about the small rubber piece between the actual pump and the regulator body, I used a small cut of fuel hose I had

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im lucky enough to live near a place that sells no-ethanol fuel, and having done a lot of reading in addition to seeing the results of small engine components that have been ruined by ethanol fuel, i absolutely refuse to run the stuff unless i have no other choice. Ethanol is such a bad idea for so many reasons...you cant run garbage through your fuel system for long periods of time and not expect consequences.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a website I believe that will show you gas stations in your area that sell ethanol free gas. Even provides a Google map to the had station.

Pure-gas.org I think

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Thank you for this post. How did you end up finding this cross reference, that's amazing! Shipping is $14.00 for the $11.00 part. I'll stop at the local Dodge/Jeep dealer to see if they can get this kit.

I have a CCT that has only run about 1 tank of non-ethanol fuel through it in over 27,000 miles. I suspect my o-rings could follow your example. My brother's CCT had the fuel pump fail last week at Sturgis. His bike has less than 10,000 miles on it. Thankfully his extended warranty covered it less the deductible. The dealer took a fuel pump off a bike in their showroom to keep him going!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for this post. I have a 2012 CCT that has only run about 1 tank of non-ethanol fuel through it in nearly 27,000 miles. I suspect my o-rings could follow your example. A friends 2013 CCT had the fuel pump fail last week at Sturgis. His bike has less than 5000 miles on it. Thankfully his extended warranty covered it for the $50 deductible.
You may want to check but I think your fuel pump is different than earlier models like mine. It's not to say that there isn't a simple fix for yours as well though. Post a picture of your pump when it's out and I may be able to tell if the fuel pressure regulator is the same style

·
Registered
329 Posts
This should be stickied with a better title (models/years it works for). I am pretty sure it doesn't apply to my bike, but this is a GREAT find! Great job!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This should be stickied with a better title (models/years it works for). I am pretty sure it doesn't apply to my bike, but this is a GREAT find! Great job!
I want to say 2002-2008 but I may be off, I'll check the diagrams after work to make sure. If you have the big round access port under your tank I think it should work

·
Registered
427 Posts
O-rings have a standard sizing chart. $11 for o-rings? Not sure of the size but I'm going to assume they are fairly small(less than an inch). I could get 100 o-rings in that size for that price. Find a place with a chart(I have one) not the o-ring cone and find the size and get either Viton or nitrile will last longer than buna-n o-ring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
O-rings have a standard sizing chart. $11 for o-rings? Not sure of the size but I'm going to assume they are fairly small(less than an inch). I could get 100 o-rings in that size for that price. Find a place with a chart(I have one) not the o-ring cone and find the size and get either Viton or nitrile will last longer than buna-n o-ring.
True, I'm sure it can be done for even cheaper than $11. My intention with this post was more to help people in a bad situation.

Considering the FPR for a 1994 Jeep Wrangler is common stock at AutoZone or O'Reilly's, you could fix this problem almost anywhere with a few tools. Had I known what I know now, when my fuel pump failed in Sturgis, I wouldn't have had to leave early to get the bike trailered 300miles back to Colorado.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Im lucky enough to live near a place that sells no-ethanol fuel, and having done a lot of reading in addition to seeing the results of small engine components that have been ruined by ethanol fuel, i absolutely refuse to run the stuff unless i have no other choice. Ethanol is such a bad idea for so many reasons...you cant run garbage through your fuel system for long periods of time and not expect consequences.

Ethanol is actually the answer and solution, for so many reasons. In Brazil they used sugar cane to produce ethanol and get rid of their dependence on foreign oil. That brought over 12 million people into the middle class (I think it was alot more). In the good ole' USA we have the technology to extract the ethanol out of the corn and still be suitable for animal food. Don't blame the fuel for the issues, blame the manufacture for not using seals that are compatible with alcohol. Think of how many flex fuel cars and race cars are out there that run just fine on ethanol/alcohol. That is the primary difference of a flex fuel vehicle, the seals and capacity for more fuel out of the injectors since ethanol has less energy. Ethanol also burns cleaner. Its a real world solution. I really recommend everyone on this forum watches the documentary Pump. It will wake you up. We have been used by the oil companies for over a hundred years. Firestone, GM, Standard Oil and other companies bought out all of the electric street cars in the early 1900s and burned them all to bring in city buses. The government even caught them doing this. wac I wish vehicles/motorcycles had low point drains like aircrafts do to drain water from the fuel. That would eliminate alot of issues. Alot of people are guilty of letting their motorcycles sit for long periods of time during the winter. If you do, keep the tank full and run a stabilizer

Good read, still watch the documentary on netflix
http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths

·
Registered
427 Posts
True, I'm sure it can be done for even cheaper than $11. My intention with this post was more to help people in a bad situation.

Considering the FPR for a 1994 Jeep Wrangler is common stock at AutoZone or O'Reilly's, you could fix this problem almost anywhere with a few tools. Had I known what I know now, when my fuel pump failed in Sturgis, I wouldn't have had to leave early to get the bike trailered 300miles back to Colorado.
Do you have an extra to go find which size it is? If we can get that everyone will be able to go find a pack of o-rings for under a couple bucks locally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I don't unfortunately. After it was all fixed I kicked myself for not taking pictures/measurements of everything...

What I can do is stop by AutoZone and see if they will let me look at one again, maybe borrow some calipers to measure size and thickness of the o-rings.

Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to post something

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Ethanol is actually the answer and solution, for so many reasons. In Brazil they used sugar cane to produce ethanol and get rid of their dependence on foreign oil. That brought over 12 million people into the middle class (I think it was alot more). In the good ole' USA we have the technology to extract the ethanol out of the corn and still be suitable for animal food. Don't blame the fuel for the issues, blame the manufacture for not using seals that are compatible with alcohol. Think of how many flex fuel cars and race cars are out there that run just fine on ethanol/alcohol. That is the primary difference of a flex fuel vehicle, the seals and capacity for more fuel out of the injectors since ethanol has less energy. Ethanol also burns cleaner. Its a real world solution. I really recommend everyone on this forum watches the documentary Pump. It will wake you up. We have been used by the oil companies for over a hundred years. Firestone, GM, Standard Oil and other companies bought out all of the electric street cars in the early 1900s and burned them all to bring in city buses. The government even caught them doing this. wac I wish vehicles/motorcycles had low point drains like aircrafts do to drain water from the fuel. That would eliminate alot of issues. Alot of people are guilty of letting their motorcycles sit for long periods of time during the winter. If you do, keep the tank full and run a stabilizer

Good read, still watch the documentary on netflix
http://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Busting-Ethanol-Fuel-Myths

Ethanol is garbage... It's take 1.5 times as much ethanol (E85) fuel to go the same distance as 87 octane no ethanol. Land is not a renewable resource. The by product of ethanol (swill) is more damaging to aquatic life than crude oil. If all fuel was E85 we wouldn't have a food source cause the land would be not available to grow crops. It takes more water to produce a bbl of ethanol than it does a bbl of oil. Water is not a renewable resource. Oil comes from beneath the earth's surface using a far smaller footprint on a very crowded planet. With the frac methods of today and directional drilling we are able to re enter old produced wells and milk oil out that was previously thought un obtainable. It's also come to scientists attention that it doesn't take nearly as long for decomposed matter to turn into hydro carbons as previously thought so oil is looking more stable than it did 50 years ago.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
thanks

lots of parts work that are not OE, knowing what to get is another thing. many just pay because its Victory branded, just like their overpriced "you know what" duke of earl

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have an extra to go find which size it is? If we can get that everyone will be able to go find a pack of o-rings for under a couple bucks locally.
Jeep_FPR.jpg

This is a picture of the Jeep regulator. I can't find a good picture of the one in the Victory pump but the dimensions are exactly the same. Whether or not they are the same pressure spec is beyond me but I did manage to get some dimensions.

SMALL RING: ID=0.30" Thickness: ~0.10-0.11"

LARGE RING: ID=0.90" Thickness: ~0.10-0.11"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts