Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Eleven months ago my girlfriend never road a motorcycle, not even a little 50cc scooter. For her birthday last year she received riding lessons from a local school. Upon graduation I found for her a Honda VLX 600 Shadow. Three thousand miles has passed since her first throwing a leg over and it was time to look for a bike with more power and comfort.

Just over a month ago we road down to Mom's as they were having an open house and the Victory Fuel It truck was there for test rides. She took out the Vegas and road it like a champ. When she took off the helmet all you could see was a grin ear to ear. We tried to purchase a 2012 from Moms, they put together a very good deal but it just was not in my girls budget.

Last week on craigs we saw a 09 Vegas with just 500 miles and it was local. The owner had a quick release windshield, quick release saddle bags and running boards with heal toe shifter installed, it also came with 4 years left of the 5 year extended warranty that can be transferred to the new owner. The bike was 100% showroom new, not a speck of dust. I took it up the road, went through the gears and turned around. My girl asked me what I thought and I said, you need to ride it.

I let the owners husband take my XC out as he was drooling all over the bike, and he followed my girl when she road his wife's Vegas.

Ten minutes or so passed and they pulled into the drive. The first thing I noticed was the guy on my bike doing several big fist pumps and I could here him saying, "this is awesome! I love this bike, it sounds amazing, pulls like crazy....I want one"

My girl was right behind him, she pulled in, parked the bike and and just like before had a huge grin. Now it was just a matter of the dance...let the haggling begin.

I tossed eight large on the seat and said that's $8000 cash for your bike. I just kept my mouth shut and waited and waited... to my surprise she says...I cant take 8 as I have close to 15 into the bike. My response was, you can sell it to the person standing in line behind me and turned to look at an open field. She grinned and said how about 11,500, I just shook my head no..and pointed to the 8k cash sitting on the seat. She said how about 10,500? I said, listen dealer trade in is just under 8k and I am giving you an even 8k. She said I have receipts for just under $2000 for the extras on the bike. My girlfriend looked at me, and I turned to the seller and said, I have another grand in cash at the house, 9k final offer that's it or I will hop on my XC and ride off right now, do we have a deal?

The owner looks at her husband and asks him what he thought? Its quite clear who wears the pants in that family, he turns and said its your bike I am not getting involved with the sale...you purchased it, you also just purchased your Harley Street Glide..you decide.

Done deal.

We should have the title and bike by mid week.

·
Administrator
5,971 Posts
And that's how you negotiate a deal. Good job, and wishing many happy and safe miles for your girlfriend on her new horse. thumb up

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Great bike, great deal. You remind me of the guy from Priceline

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats the bike in the pic...
You stole that bike at that price with those miles plus the warranty. Is it the white one pictured in your post? Very nice bike.

The break-in is done and now it's just time to ride!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great price,great bike! Enjoy!thumb up

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife bought her Vegas new in 09 and loves it. Congrats on your girls new bike. thumb up

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!! Victory has a good thing going with the demo truck. Back in 09 the same thing happened with my wife. Went and test road a Vegas and 6 months later had a brand new 08 Vegas Low. She loves it and says she will never get rid of it. Now I just have to get my XC! :)

Scott

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is it people are such assholes in this world....

The seller of the motorcycle will not return my girlfriends phone calls. She told us the day we gave her money for a down payment that according to the bank, she would have the title in hand in three days from payoff. She promised us that the payoff would be done online (as soon as we left it was Saturday)..I realize that it would not be processed until the following Monday. The end of the first week my girlfriend called and she gave a tap dance...cant talk, will call back. This past week just goes to voice mail, and no text messages will be returned.

I did a search on craigslist and I see another add, a revised one done two days after we entered into a contract- signed paperwork and gave her money as a down payment.

I had one of my friends call from a different line so they didn't recognize the number and it turns out she said it was sold for their asking price of 10,500 on July 3rd.....the bike is now gone.

Lets see...I have a signed contract dated dated June 23 for 9000 less the balance due at the time of pickup.

I told the sellers that I was going to go home take pics of my girls bike and list it for sale, the bike sold the June 26th....

The sellers wont return text messages or phone calls and have clearly sold the bike to another person for $1500 more then what we agreed to...

My girl is pissed at me, I sold her bike for 3000, she only paid 2000 last fall when I haggled with the seller (they wanted 3200) -ok she made 1,000 but this past week, she was on vacation and has no bike to ride.

Advice from those with a bit more experience in dealing with people like this would be appreciated...

thanks in advance.

Congrats on the new ride!! Victory has a good thing going with the demo truck. Back in 09 the same thing happened with my wife. Went and test road a Vegas and 6 months later had a brand new 08 Vegas Low. She loves it and says she will never get rid of it. Now I just have to get my XC! :)

Scott

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why is it people are such assholes in this world....

The seller of the motorcycle will not return my girlfriends phone calls. She told us the day we gave her money for a down payment that according to the bank, she would have the title in hand in three days from payoff. She promised us that the payoff would be done online (as soon as we left it was Saturday)..I realize that it would not be processed until the following Monday. The end of the first week my girlfriend called and she gave a tap dance...cant talk, will call back. This past week just goes to voice mail, and no text messages will be returned.

I did a search on craigslist and I see another add, a revised one done two days after we entered into a contract- signed paperwork and gave her money as a down payment.

I had one of my friends call from a different line so they didn't recognize the number and it turns out she said it was sold for their asking price of 10,500 on July 3rd.....the bike is now gone.

Lets see...I have a signed contract dated dated June 23 for 9000 less the balance due at the time of pickup.

I told the sellers that I was going to go home take pics of my girls bike and list it for sale, the bike sold the June 26th....

The sellers wont return text messages or phone calls and have clearly sold the bike to another person for $1500 more then what we agreed to...

My girl is pissed at me, I sold her bike for 3000, she only paid 2000 last fall when I haggled with the seller (they wanted 3200) -ok she made 1,000 but this past week, she was on vacation and has no bike to ride.

Advice from those with a bit more experience in dealing with people like this would be appreciated...

thanks in advance.
Having a signed contract, I'd say she has a legal obligation to honor it, I'd contact a lawyer.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Unless it is a cash deal always go to a bank and get it all done there. A lawyer is going to cost you more money. Do Craigslist and take your girl on a little road trip. Some really nice bikes here in the Phoenix area

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry to here about your deal going bad. Sounds like to me they used your 8 grand to get the title in hand then sold the bike to someone else for some fast cash. If you have paper to back up your claims. Call the cops thats grand thieft. And time is an issue they may be making a run with the cash.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I am hoping that there is no way you left 8 Grand with them. Please tell us that is not the case. If you did I advise the same call the police immediately. You may want to call the police even if you only left a deposit as theft is theft. I have bought 2 used bikes and both times after testing them it was meet me at a bank so I can have the title notarized and if they didn't have the title without the lien the bank can assist with that too. Good luck. Couple of nice Vegas bikes out here in AZ at very good prices with low miles and nice upgrades.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hopefully you have a "Bill of Sale" that was signed by both parties that lists the amount agree upon and the deposit amount. That would be your legal contract.

Some sellers seem to think that they can simply sell the bike to others later without any repercussions other than returning the original deposit. However, that is not the case IF you have the signed paperwork. Titles can be tracked and you could legally go after the "other" new owner letting them know that the other owner sold a "technically stolen (from you) bike" as it was not theirs the minute they signed the contract.

You could also "offer" to let them pay you back your original deposit PLUS the profit difference of what they sold it to the "new" owners for in lei of legal proceedings.

I am not a lawyer and have never played one on TV so any action you take on my "thoughts" would be on your own...but those are things I would try.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hopefully you have a "Bill of Sale" that was signed by both parties that lists the amount agree upon and the deposit amount. That would be your legal contract.

Some sellers seem to think that they can simply sell the bike to others later without any repercussions other than returning the original deposit. However, that is not the case IF you have the signed paperwork. Titles can be tracked and you could legally go after the "other" new owner letting them know that the other owner sold a "technically stolen (from you) bike" as it was not theirs the minute they signed the contract.

You could also "offer" to let them pay you back your original deposit PLUS the profit difference of what they sold it to the "new" owners for in lei of legal proceedings.

I am not a lawyer and have never played one on TV so any action you take on my "thoughts" would be on your own...but those are things I would try.
"You could also "offer" to let them pay you back your original deposit PLUS the profit difference of what they sold it to the "new" owners for in lei of legal proceedings."

+1, that's what I was thinking myself, and that's why I'd contact a lawyer, and then call the police on his advice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
WOW! I can not believe that people have no conscience or ethics anymore. If they agreed to a sale and signed papers on it then the bike is sold. If they did not want your $9000, then they should have said no. Selling something that is already sold is just wrong and as other have said, theft. Make them pay for it so they don't think it's right what they did. There are other bikes out there and you will be able to find a really nice Vegas for $9000, but that is not the point. Keep us informed on the proceedings.

Scott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts