• Sell it, and put Apes on a Jackpot?

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, just putting this out there as I have a lot of ideas running through my head and I just want to get some opinions and advice before I spend a lot of money. I live in the UK so getting parts is a b*tch and they are virtually non existent to find here on Ebay so everything has to come from the states and I have to pay a lot of shipping at 20% tax on top. Get's expensive quick! We also have very limited Victory support here in the UK. I am in Scoland and there is not one dealer in the whole country anymore. When I speak to dealers they only really advise what is in the brochure :(

My current steed is a 2012 Highball which I love. I was tossing up between the Highball or a Jackpot. Highball is £10,995 new and the Jackpot was £14,995 so it was a big difference. I really liked both but because of the weather here I decided to not invest so much cash and bought the HB.

Eventually I want to do the cams, tourque tubes, exhaust and PC5 and keep the bike for a long time. Victory don't hold their value at all in the UK so I need to get this right.

I am never happy with a standard bike and the Highball has a few things that annoy me. I love the overall look but the rear wheel is just too skinny. It needs a 180 or ideally 200. I know a 5.5 or 6" rim will fit (but impossible to get help to find one in the UK) so to buy that will cost a lot. I was also going to do forward controls as well. I also might have to buy rear pegs £300 and a rear seat £150. This is optional as I know the bike didn't have them standard and I knew that. It' is mainly the rear wheel conversion where I would need to start spending.

I was also thinking what if I just sold it and bought a Jackpot Premium and fitted Apes to it off the Highball. Already has a 250 rear, rear seat and pegs + forward controls. I also like the paint scheme too. Seems like most of the hard work would be done.

Does anyone have a Jackpot with Apes? How is the riding position? Does it handle ok or is it a handful with the big rear and skinny front?

I love both bikes for different reasons but would love to hear some opinions. I still don't think I can buy a Harley that's better than these two bikes as both are show stoppers and once I do the engine work they will be untouchable.

I am also toying with buying a modified bike already done and importing it fomr th States with most of this stuff done. Could save a lot too.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I find I've never missed a fat rear tire, personally. If I were going to fat tire, I'd be looking at a full pro-street and be done with it. The high-ball's easy handling is I believe because of the conventional tire sizing.

Both bikes are a bit trendy though. Bobber/apes vs sorta-customish jackpot. It's all about what blows your skirt up. Or kilt, depending on which side of the island you hail from. :)

I'll add also how nice not worrying about scratched chrome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just my 2 cents but you could always go hammer 8ball, alot better price than jackpot and its got all the important parts, then put apes on that like I did. jejeje. I also like the highball but I like my fatazz rear. to each his own. donot believe the hype about bad handling with a fat rear and apes. Its a myth, I ride the hell outta mine in twisties and high speeds and I have both. thumb up

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a 240 and it was fine. Never with apes though. My ideal bike is a Highball with a 250 but not sure how cost realistic that would be. A 200 would probably do but a 250 would look amazing. Would a Jackpot swing arm and fender bolt into my bike?

I bet I can't get a 250 whitewall anyway :(

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Just my 2 cents but you could always go hammer 8ball, alot better price than jackpot and its got all the important parts, then put apes on that like I did. jejeje. I also like the highball but I like my fatazz rear. to each his own. donot believe the hype about bad handling with a fat rear and apes. Its a myth, I ride the hell outta mine in twisties and high speeds and I have both. thumb up
I agree , much better forks on the Hammer too , all black will go much better with the bobber look too . IMOthumb up

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ill trade you my jackpot straight up, hell ill even toss in the ape kit for you. I love the looks of the jackpot also but she can be a bitch to ride, its not bad if your used to really counter steering. Everyday I'm looking at getting into a highball until I go home and open the garage an see the jackpot beautiful ass sitting there. I'm going to probably hold on an put metzers on it, just something about thoes apes are sweet I hope who ever has that jackpot with apes will chime in on the handeling an say its nothing major.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Having ridden both (which I suggest you do as well before flirting with the idea any further), I can say the High Ball handles like a bicycle, and the jackpot like a big horse. That's the one major advantage that the High Ball has. Jackpot's skinny front wheel will track more road imperfections, will be harder to throw around tight corners, and such, but it does have the beefy rear wheel that some covet, and I believe the Jackpot has a longer wheel base which should translate into more stability on highway rides.

Looks wise it comes down to preference, but in my opinion they are both great looking rides in their own unique way.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Big T , keep in mind the financial beating you will take , would be of catastrophic proportions , trading your H-ball for a JP ... To me , you wouldn't have acquired the H-ball if you weren't turned on by it . Make the H-ball your own , Rome wasn't built in a day , so to speak , start with what you want to change the most , and go from there . The amount of money you will light on fire to swap bikes , will pay for all your upgrades , and probably more ! thumb up cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh I didnt realize you had the highball all ready. My bad. I would search high and low to make that highball have a phat rear end. That would be the beat all, to beat all. Its cant be a stright convert beacause your struts are skinny, swingarm is skinny, ect. there would diffenetly be some cutting and welding but.............OMG a Phat highball. Ive done some searching and cant find any with a 250. The biggest I found was here in the forums and he got a 200 on his. I just know , if you did it, you'd be the talk of the town, or at least the talk of the forum. thumb up

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find I've never missed a fat rear tire, personally. If I were going to fat tire, I'd be looking at a full pro-street and be done with it. The high-ball's easy handling is I believe because of the conventional tire sizing.

Both bikes are a bit trendy though. Bobber/apes vs sorta-customish jackpot. It's all about what blows your skirt up. Or kilt, depending on which side of the island you hail from. :)

I'll add also how nice not worrying about scratched chrome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm an Aussie! Lol!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A Phat Highball is the Ultimate Dream bike. That is what I would ideally want. The 250 end is staring me in the face on other bikes and it would just need to be swapped onto the Highball...somehow. I can picture a HB with a 250 and it would be amazing. Matt paint, Apes, whitewalls and a 250! :)

I got a good deal on my Highball and a reality check says I should just keep it as I do really love it the way it is except for the rear tyre. If it did get a 250 I am not sure how I would get a 250 whitewall tyre and rear fender anyway. Since I am in the UK as well there is not much room for trial and error and I also don't want to spend crazy money just to put a big wheel on.

I could also buy a Hammer 8 Ball but I would need to but Apes, new rims, whitewall and paint. Still a lot of cash!

I could sell my HB pretty easy here I think as there were only ever 60 brought into the UK.

Someone needs to do this build first so I know what to order!

I think I will end up keeping my bike and having to just respoke the current hub with a 5.5 or 6 inch rim and run a 200 Shinko whitewall. That way I don't have to swap bikes, repaint or get new bars. My bike only has 1200 miles on it anyway.

I will always be wishing I had that extra 50mm though :(

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Tav , go with the 200 , it will look awesome and still handle great . You know it can be done , one of the guys here did it . You will save a plethora of cash in the big picture , cash you can put into engine, suspension , gear , whatever .... You will still have one of the coolest bikes around!thumb up

·
Registered
396 Posts
crossroads hit the nail on the head,
the "hb handles like a bicycle while the jp
handles like a horse". owning a jackpot has its
advantages and disadvantages lets face it
you are not going to carve up the twisties
on this thing but when you pull up at a
convienence store,bar,or anywhere it will
always draw alot of attention. i test rode a
hb when they first came out and was very
impressed with the way it handled,even with
the apes it handles so much easier than the jp.
that being said i absolutely love my jp,to me it
is the best looking cruiser ever made by a major
mfg. to me it is like the best looking girl in school,
when you lay your eyes on her you just cant stop
looking.thumb up

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've been considering putting the highball apes on my 2012 Vegas 8 ball. It's basically the same bike but comes with the 200 rear and 21" front tire.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok. If the Vegas 8 ball has a 200 rear is there anything different at the back if that bike to my Highball except for the rear wheel? The fender and swing arm should be identical shouldn't it?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Ok. If the Vegas 8 ball has a 200 rear is there anything different at the back if that bike to my Highball except for the rear wheel? The fender and swing arm should be identical shouldn't it?
The 8-Ball Vegas has a 180mm rear tire... Will it fit yours? Probably. Since the wheels are spokes, you could probably just lace a wider rim to the hub. If you use a 6" rim a 200mm tire will likely fit fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts