Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2013 since October. As many of you know, it replaced my 2011 Cross Roads after a cager ate it with me on it last July. I have a little over 1000 miles on it and here are my initial impressions, based on riding it and comparing it to my Cross Roads.

I love the bike. I think it rides better than my Cross Roads did. Everyone speaks of the buffetting and it seems I get some depending on which way the wind is blowing relating to my direction of travel. The Klockwerks shield definitely helps as do the soft lowers when it gets cold out. Other than that, it seems less than what I experienced on my Cross Roads. The seat is NOT as comfortable as the heated touring seat that was on the 'Roads, so I can hardly wait to get the seat refurbished and installed. the biggest difference is in the heat the pipes emit. WOW!!!! do the bottoms of the bags ever get hot.. and whatever I am carrying. Most groceries I buy at Safeway are cooked before I get them home to officially cook them. I am not sure why this is happening, and any info would be appreciated. But... Other than that.. Great bike. Looks great and I hope to have it for several years, maybe until Victory produces its 100th anniversary model... (not likely though)

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I have had my 2013 since October. As many of you know, it replaced my 2011 Cross Roads after a cager ate it with me on it last July. I have a little over 1000 miles on it and here are my initial impressions, based on riding it and comparing it to my Cross Roads.

I love the bike. I think it rides better than my Cross Roads did. Everyone speaks of the buffetting and it seems I get some depending on which way the wind is blowing relating to my direction of travel. The Klockwerks shield definitely helps as do the soft lowers when it gets cold out. Other than that, it seems less than what I experienced on my Cross Roads. The seat is NOT as comfortable as the heated touring seat that was on the 'Roads, so I can hardly wait to get the seat refurbished and installed. the biggest difference is in the heat the pipes emit. WOW!!!! do the bottoms of the bags ever get hot.. and whatever I am carrying. Most groceries I buy at Safeway are cooked before I get them home to officially cook them. I am not sure why this is happening, and any info would be appreciated. But... Other than that.. Great bike. Looks great and I hope to have it for several years, maybe until Victory produces its 100th anniversary model... (not likely though)
I don't think that most people worry about the heat and I haven't really noticed it, but come to think of it, I haven't really looked for it either (got mine in Oct too). The pipes on my old VFR got really hot too until I changed them out to carbon fibre. My VFR bags actually came stock with a heat shield to combat it.

Witchdoctor's makes a kit and before you scoff at the price they ask for it, that tape is really expensive and it's probably pre-cut by Witchdoctors... I may order a kit too as I also do most of my shopping with my XC. Nothing like wilted vege's after a 15 min ride home...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I wouldn't think the exhaust would be any difference in heat that the cross roads. I wonder if it is running too lean? I unplugged the 02 sensors and the heat from the pipes did go down a noticeable amount

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I wouldn't think the exhaust would be any difference in heat that the cross roads. I wonder if it is running too lean? I unplugged the 02 sensors and the heat from the pipes did go down a noticeable amount
I think the hard bags hang lower than the leather ones. Anyway, seems like a couple of slices of fiberglass placed between the pipe and bag should fix it on either model.

I have a lockable trunk on my XR, hence I rarely use the side bags unless I'm carrying clothes on a trip. When I've done that, nothing has burned so I never really gave it much thought.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the hard bags hang lower than the leather ones. Anyway, seems like a couple of slices of fiberglass placed between the pipe and bag should fix it on either model.

I have a lockable trunk on my XR, hence I rarely use the side bags unless I'm carrying clothes on a trip. When I've done that, nothing has burned so I never really gave it much thought.
The only reason I mentioned it is there is such a major difference between the temps inside the bags of my CR compared to my experience now with my what green goblin bag temps are like ......thought it was unusual....

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The bags on my CR get pretty hot as well, especially the right one. It has gotten a little better now that I've got a few miles on it.

·
13,262 Posts
You can but at auto store for the same heat tape or even look into some kind of aluminum foil of some sort and do the outside of bag along with inside of bag

·
Registered
827 Posts
I bought my 2013 XCT in late October 2012. It is a very nice bike. Smooth going down the road. It seems to me that the cross bikes were built for people over 6'2". Me; being 5'9" , my arms are a bit short for the stock bars ( I fixed that with the Ness bars) .
I fixed the wind buffeting with the Madstad windshield brackets and a Klockworx windshield.
The seat is going to get customized also to fit me and the wife soon too.
The paint is a little soft (or the clearcoat is thin) so I need to take care not to scratch it while cleaning it.

Where ever I go; people are drooling all over it. It is a beautiful motorcycle. Mine's on the right. The bike on the left is Gary's from ***.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts