Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah the title's a bit over dramatic, but here's the story. As we all know the Victory Kingpin is one of the best riding and handling cruisers ever in addition to its stunning looks. Today on my way into work I had to put those qualities to the test. On the I215 freeway in San Beranrdino, CA at about 65-70mph the car up ahead of me suddenly has smoke coming up from underneath. I think "Uh-oh, this clown locked up his brakes". I ease on the brakes and check traffic- He's pretty far ahead, but if I need to I can go over to the left. I notice he's not slowing down much, but now I see a few bits of metal bouncing out of my lane to the right. I start to ease to the left as I know that's clear. That's when I hit the oil slick. Both tires slid, but regained traction after some major fishtailing/wobbling. I'm no pro, so it's a testament to how well this machine was designed that I didn't go down in the center of a very busy freeway. After recovering, I saw the car pulling over and realized the smoke was probably his engine blowing. A very scary few seconds in an hour-long commute that will keep me a kingpin lover for as long as I live.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
You not over compensating/reacting saved you... The KP's handling characteristics helped you. Glad to hear you rode out of it!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
Good save King. Apparently, you ride with a safety cushion ahead of you--very smart. I see so many riders tailgating and I'm reminded of a sign I saw at a military base long ago; Tailgaters make ends meet. They sure do. So happy you came through that incident unscathed.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Its not tailgating, its drafting! Dont you watch nascar! haha!

Good save by the way!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good save King. Apparently, you ride with a safety cushion ahead of you--very smart. I see so many riders tailgating and I'm reminded of a sign I saw at a military base long ago; Tailgaters make ends meet. They sure do. So happy you came through that incident unscathed.
Yeah I pretty much assume everyone is out to get me. As Joe Stalin once said "Even paranoids have enemies". Plus the MSF people will tell you to throw the 2-second rule out the window. You want 4-5 seconds space in front of you and be looking 12 seconds up the road. In all honesty, once things went south, everything happened too fast to panic. I was shaking a bit a few miles later when I was able to pull over and was amazed the underwear was clean! This wasn't an "I didn't see you" moment, it was just bad crap happening in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ride safe everyone! $h!t's gonna happen regardless. Let's try to be ready for it. cheers.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I hit oil on a slow curve. ZERO traction. Congrats on keeping it up. I didn't. That was before I owned my Kingpin. My Kingpin did handle a very treacherous road on my way around Lake Superior. Following mapped route, I got put on six+ miles of soft sand. Hit the wobbles at deep sand intersection, but was able to keep both wheels on the ground. Don't think any other cruiser may have faired so well. Mapped route is now changed!!

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
This wasn't an "I didn't see you" moment, it was just bad crap happening in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ride safe everyone! $h!t's gonna happen regardless. Let's try to be ready for it. cheers.
That's why I am an ATGATT guy! I dress for the weather AND the crash.thumb up

·
13,026 Posts
Been there done that. Tomorrow you'll be stiff and scared of all cars for the rest of the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts