Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode a new generation Vmax today.

Oh dear God, there is such a thing as sex on 2 wheels.

200hp, ergos that beat my sportbike and my Hammer S, awesome brakes, near-nimbleness of a sportbike even at snail's pace parking lot moves, and a one of a kind look.

Roll-on to the freeway today took me from 45-125mph in less time than it took me to realize I had not in fact crapped my pants like I thought I had.

While it'll be my Gixxer that I lose to make space for this bike soon, I can't help but wonder how much seat time I'll get on the Hammer once I have the Vmax?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so too, until I rode it.

It is VERY docile until you don't want it to be. Not like a KTM RC8r or most Ducatis... if you're easy on the throttle, it's every bit like riding a Vic. I was VERRRRY surprised actually. And in tedious stoplight to stoplight traffic, it wasn't acting like a bull trying to burst out of a chute either... it was like riding any other bike half its power.

But when I hit it... ZOMFG :crzy:

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Sell your Vic already so we stop getting the weekly thread on what other bike you'd rather have. Do it. Then you can cry on their forum on how you miss your Vic. :D

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I've loved Yamaha for years and I think they still make an excellent product, but for my money there is NOTHING out there right now that does it more for me than my Victory Cross Country. The bike looks, feels, responds, handles, and even sounds perfect to me. Every time I look at her I fall in love all over again...but that's me. Enjoy your V-Max brother. Look forward to seeing you on the twisties! cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sell your Vic already so we stop getting the weekly thread on what other bike you'd rather have. Do it. Then you can cry on their forum on how you miss your Vic. :D
:confused: I've never said I was going to sell my Vic before. I have however entertained the CVO Street Glide only because I live 65 miles from a Vic dealer, and it would be a PITA to do the required maintenance on a new XR that I was thinking of buying before.

My Gixxer is up for sale because the Vmax will be replacing it actually, but I don;t know how much the Hammer would be ridden once I get it. Shiny new toy and all...

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
:confused: I've never said I was going to sell my Vic before. I have however entertained the CVO Street Glide only because I live 65 miles from a Vic dealer, and it would be a PITA to do the required maintenance on a new XR that I was thinking of buying before.

My Gixxer is up for sale because the Vmax will be replacing it actually, but I don;t know how much the Hammer would be ridden once I get it. Shiny new toy and all...
65 miles on a touring bike is really a long ride. :ltr: Okay, I guess we'll wait 'till next week and see what new bike you'll be lusting for.

Have you ridden a Diavel yet?
Are you trying to put out the fire with gasoline? :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have you ridden a Diavel yet?
No, but I find it to be a gorgeous bike. The Vmax will allow me to toss the wife on the back in some fair degree of comfort though, the Diavel, not so much. Plus I'm kinda digging the shaft drive idea, never had one, and it'll be kinda nice not worrying about constant chain maintenance.

For a pure solo ride though, man that thing is the hotness. I have sat on a couple, and it is probably the single most comfortable bike for my size that I've ever felt. When they first debuted last year, I went to buy one, but the dealer had pre-sold their entire allotment, and every Diavel set to deliver for 2011 in the US had already been purchased by dealers. Each dealer I contacted within 150 miles of me had theirs pre-sold. Not sure if that was a good or bad thing for me in the end, but at some point I'll probably end up buying one. I've switched from my car obsession to bikes now, so my wife is already expecting me to have 5 or 6 bikes in the garage soon.

65 miles on a touring bike is really a long ride. :ltr: Okay, I guess we'll wait 'till next week and see what new bike you'll be lusting for.

Are you trying to put out the fire with gasoline? :)

I don't know many people who "tour" to a dealership :rolleyes:

5 miles isn't long for a nice ride, but it's damn long if you have a mechanical issue that needs attention. Also a damn long and expensive tow if the mechanical issue prevents you from riding it the required service. And not such a fun trip if you need to drop it off for an overnight stay (or longer) and the wife has to make that ride following you in the cage to bring your happy butt home.

The only sore spot I have with Vic is the lack of dealerships. Luckily our bikes are among the most reliable, so the need for emergency service isn't as prevalent as it would be if I were riding a Harley, but stuff can and will still happen on any manufactured product. And I'd rather not take a 3 hour trip (with our congested traffic) for something like that if it can be avoided.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Plus I'm kinda digging the shaft drive idea, never had one, and it'll be kinda nice not worrying about constant chain maintenance.
I’ve owned a shaft drive high performance bike and will never own another shaft drive bike after that. To much sideways torque on accretion and deceleration, caused me to dump it a couple times.:p

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Test rode a new generation Vmax today.

Oh dear God, there is such a thing as sex on 2 wheels.

200hp, ergos that beat my sportbike and my Hammer S, awesome brakes, near-nimbleness of a sportbike even at snail's pace parking lot moves, and a one of a kind look.

Roll-on to the freeway today took me from 45-125mph in less time than it took me to realize I had not in fact crapped my pants like I thought I had.

While it'll be my Gixxer that I lose to make space for this bike soon, I can't help but wonder how much seat time I'll get on the Hammer once I have the Vmax?
I test rode one a year or so ago and thought it was a comfortable, nice handling/braking bike with a killer engine. The downsides are:

1. Tiny tank
2. Lousy mileage
3. Little wind protection, the slight forward cant helps offset that, but forget riding when it's chilly out
4. No storage
5. The snatchiest throttle I have ever experienced on anything

I think it would be a great bike if I had unlimited funds for new tires and my enjoyment of motorcycling came from doing burnouts for on lookers.

It is another bike that I doubt your wife would be too happy to occupy, but it's definitely a step up from a GSXR if you're not track riding.

A cheaper alternative may be to get some hop up parts for your Hammer along with an aftermarket seat and some floor boards. Then you'd have the comfy powerful thing down and still have a reasonably sized tank, ability to throw on wind protection when desired, storage (assuming you have bags). Not sure how all those Lloyd's kits affect mileage, but I'm sure someone here knows.

You could even make it handle properly if you could figure out how to change that massive rim protector to a 180 on your machine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have ridden one

Dreaming of a different bike is kind of like a cow reaching through the fence to get the greener grass. That is why there are so many low mileage bikes for sale at the dealer.

I member of my riding club has two Vmax's. One is a 1987-88 and the other is a carryover 2010. I got the privilege of riding his new one a few weeks ago. Fast is an understatement for this bike. The front end is well balanced so you aren't going to be pulling wheelies all the time unless you want one. He uses is for shorter day rides and bike nights only.

It would make a great 2nd bike but I sure wouldn't want it for my everyday rider. 0-100 in 6 seconds is crazy when the Vision does it in 14.82 seconds according to Motorcycle Consumer News.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Bandit before you run out and get a VMax, go ride a Diavel. You won't be disappointed.
I'm a long time Duc nut. I rode them for about 8 years and still follow their race teams. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get worked up about the styling of the Diavels, though something about this paint job is mildly intriguing:

http://www.ducati.com/media_gallery/diavel_cromo/313739/index.do

It may interest some that Ducati wasn't always a maker of racing thoroughbreds. Before WWII, they were known for radios:

And other assorted commercial gizmos:

During the war, their factory was destroyed. Afterward, people were in need of transportation, so they rebuilt and started selling these:

·
Registered
130 Posts
What ever makes you happy.I don't see myself loading up a

tent,sleeping bag,weeks supply of clothes,rain gear,heated gear,camera,necessary tools,lap top,toiletries,binoculars,coffee

mug,gps,transistor radio,water bottle,road atlas,sun screen,flip flops,swim trunks,towel,flash light,air compressor,tire plug

kit,chaps,spare batteries,air mattress,air pump and heading out coast to

coast on a V-Max for 2 wks.,7k mi.As far as dealer networks,it just

kills me a guy spends 20-25k on a bike and worries about

breaking down with no dealership within walking distance.If I'm

that paranoid I'm selling my bike and going with Grey Hound,Tour

America.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What ever makes you happy.I don't see myself loading up a

tent,sleeping bag,weeks supply of clothes,rain gear,heated gear,camera,necessary tools,lap top,toiletries,binoculars,coffee

mug,gps,transistor radio,water bottle,road atlas,sun screen,flip flops,swim trunks,towel,flash light,air compressor,tire plug

kit,chaps,spare batteries,air mattress,air pump and heading out coast to

coast on a V-Max for 2 wks.,7k mi.As far as dealer networks,it just

kills me a guy spends 20-25k on a bike and worries about

breaking down with no dealership within walking distance.If I'm

that paranoid I'm selling my bike and going with Grey Hound,Tour

America.

Neither of my current bikes are tourers, I don't do any touring. But if I wanted to, the Vmax isn't the worst choice. Plenty of guys on the Vmax forums with pics of their bikes loaded with windscreens, large rear touring packs, saddlebags, highway pegs, etc. It's a muscle cruiser like the Hammer S is, and like the Hammer, you can buy accessories to carry a decent amount of stuff with you.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Don't buy anything before the 20th, Victory might surprise us.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts