Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive wanted to do this for awhile finally got to it. I bought a pair of SS slash cut resonator tips at oriellys. I carefully marked and cut them to the length i wanted, after the tip is cut the resonator slips out, i wanted them so i rewrapped them with header wrap, cut some little wings and bent them out to touch the inside of the tip and spot welded them back in. I marked, and drilled holes for mounting and spot welded nuts into them so they can be mounted like the stockers were. I can now take them from my bike and mount them on another cross bike. They have a deeper sound at idle, help with the bark on accel, and are still quiet enough to hear the radio, actually with these and my home made bailey style lowers i can turn the radio down just a little.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nice job! thumb up

·
Registered
470 Posts
can you post a pic from the rear to show what the muffler pipe looks like inside the tip?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hows this? i could have cut my original tailpipe so it was flush with the end of the muffler but i left about 2" inside. That way hopefully the front end of the tips dont get sooty, and as of now you cant see them unless you get down to look.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Some of the best home done tips I have seen yet very impressed I would love to pick up a welding class this year, and a welder. Makes me jealous seeing some of the work you guys turn out with a little time very nice job!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
229 Posts
i just bought tips very similar to those, same brand, but straight cut instead of slash since that is all they had instock at o'riellys. bout $68 for the pair. im still debating the mount and length right now.

did you use stainless specific wire when welding? im really avoiding welding the stainless. since my tips will be shorter, a captive nut will not be required and the mesh appears to be stuck in the their pretty good if i dont jack with it, maybe ill luck out.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No i used regular wire, when you cut the tips if you cut all the way around, the resonator will just slide out. Look at them through the inlet you will see the spot welds that hold them in. As for welding since i wasnt holding anything structural, just kinda holding stuff in place, the regular wire works. I set the spot where i was welding on a damp rag to help cool when i welded it. There is a couple things i would do different now that i did them.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hows this? i could have cut my original tailpipe so it was flush with the end of the muffler but i left about 2" inside. That way hopefully the front end of the tips dont get sooty, and as of now you cant see them unless you get down to look.

thanks for the pic, it looks great, I was afraid you would be able to see the tailpipe sticking back. by the way what would you do different?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would maybe have them a little shorter, thats all personal prefference, and just where i would cut the resonator at on the inside, i cut it about 1" shorter then the tip, wouldnt need to cut them that much shorter. And the length of the inner tailpipe could be cut longer or shorter also.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My setup is a bit different, I cut the entire back off of the pipe and will now have to weld brackets to over hang off the back and then mount the tips to the bracket. I hope the finished product comes close to looking as good as yours. ImageUploadedByMO Free1372117301.026912.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372117323.607932.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1372117343.188784.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gotcha, when i did my glasspacks i reused my ends of the stock mufflers, i just cut the old tailpiece out and made the hole big enough to fit over the glasspack ends, and welded them back on, that way i could reuse the stock tips.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more thing im going to change is to paint the inside of the tips black. My left tip is sooted up inside and the right one looks like new.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts