Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tuner who did an amazing job tuning my bike. He installed the PCV. Mikey Cohen came highly recommended by Bassani and he did not dissapointed.
The bad news is I noticed a bolt was missing from my pulley when I arrived. Turned out that at least one other bolt was loose as well and partially stripped. He bolted it in best he could and told me to get it back ASAP to rethread the wheel and put in different bolts.
We both thought I could get it home and bring it back. Besides, I needed to replace the rear tire. ( I already had some tires in my garage I could put on so I would bring those when I brought the bike back.)
Well, when I got home this is what I found: from what I can tell I lost the other bolt. (I looks like the hole is stripped), the swing arm is broken, there is dent in the pulley, the retaing clip for the axle is bent.

I think my best scenario is to replace the wheel, tire, pulley and swing arm. Parts alone will range from $2100 to $2700 depending on who I get them from. I can't imagine what labor will cost.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
I found a tuner who did an amazing job tuning my bike. He installed the PCV. Mikey Cohen came highly recommended by Bassani and he did not dissapointed.
The bad news is I noticed a bolt was missing from my pulley when I arrived. Turned out that at least one other bolt was loose as well and partially stripped. He bolted it in best he could and told me to get it back ASAP to rethread the wheel and put in different bolts.
We both thought I could get it home and bring it back. Besides, I needed to replace the rear tire. ( I already had some tires in my garage I could put on so I would bring those when I brought the bike back.)
Well, when I got home this is what I found: from what I can tell I lost the other bolt. (I looks like the hole is stripped), the swing arm is broken, there is dent in the pulley, the retaing clip for the axle is bent.

I think my best scenario is to replace the wheel, tire, pulley and swing arm. Parts alone will range from $2100 to $2700 depending on who I get them from. I can't imagine what labor will cost.
GEEZE!...Wonder it got you home at all!
So I take it the pulleys come loose, twisted sideways and smashed the back of the swingarm.
Surely you wouldve felt it all let go if thats how it happened.
Anyone had the pulley off before?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I seen a swingarm on EBay awhile ago... How in Fuk did that even happen?
Not sure. My guess is the bolt worked its way out the stress pulled the second the wobble from the pulley broke the swing arm.
I'm glad I got home and I'm glad that apparently this isn't common.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GEEZE!...Wonder it got you home at all!
So I take it the pulleys come loose, twisted sideways and smashed the back of the swingarm.
Surely you wouldve felt it all let go if thats how it happened.
Anyone had the pulley off before?
Didn't feel a thing. Pipes are loud so I didn't hear anything either.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Holy Crap ! Sorry to see this happen to you ...:( I would contact my insurance company and see if they can help . Your damn lucky you didn't lose your rear wheel .... It could have cost you a lot more ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check some of the OEM parts suppliers online - and EBay.

Wow.

I'm going to put a wrench on mine right now - just to check !

Thanks for the posting.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would start with the dealership. Mind did the same thing on the highway. one bolt broke all together. the other ground into the swingarm a good 1/2". Dealer put in a claim to Vic. They replaced the pulley,hub and swingarm at no cost to me as they should.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would start with the dealership. Mind did the same thing on the highway. one bolt broke all together. the other ground into the swingarm a good 1/2". Dealer put in a claim to Vic. They replaced the pulley,hub and swingarm at no cost to me as they should.
Was your bike still under warranty?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Has there been any work done to your bike recently ? I just don't see how a bolt that is torqued to 70 ft lbs (x5 bolts) backs out ? My guess is someone stripped them working on the pulley .

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mine was under warranty at the time but I would still check with them. Its a safty/lawsuit issue. The only reason why you or I did not crash is luck. Others have had the same issue. Its worth a shot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to take so long to respond. I've been messing with the bike all day. The bike was out of warrantee. The previous owner worked on it himself or he had the mechanic who put in the Terminal Velocity fuel system work on it. Either way, I suspect it is possible that someone messed with the rear tire some how. What doesn't make sense is the bike only had 3275 miles on it, so there was no reason the change the tire yet. Unless he got a flat early on and replaced the tire rather than patching it. My mechanic is going to work with me to see what deal he can get on spare parts to repair the bike.
I'm glad to hear that others have not experienced this. I got a great deal on this bike, ( of course now I'm beginning to wonder) the cost of fixing it and changing out the fuel mgmnt system+ dyno will just about put me at high blue book. Most of the prices I see for 2012's have been in the low 12,000's so if nothing else goes wrong I will be OK. if anything else wird happens I'm selling it and calling it a day.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine was under warranty at the time but I would still check with them. Its a safty/lawsuit issue. The only reason why you or I did not crash is luck. Others have had the same issue. Its worth a shot.
I missed your post. Others have had this issue!?!?
As the second owner of a bike purchased new almost 3 years ago, I don't know that Ma Vic will have any reason to listen to me. I may give it a try any way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dayum! I've got a swingarm off an 05 KP but it's chrome. Not sure how that would work with yours or how the chrome would look. Probably wouldn't fit anyway.
The adjuster is a screw for the KP and a nut for the Highball. Otherwise they look the same. My mechanic seems to think that he may be able to pick one up locally, if not I don't mind a drive to Arizona!

·
Registered
11 Posts
that's fuk up !! in a way I looked at that and thought that is poor casting to snap like that but then thought if that had not snapped of the bolt would of jammed and locked the rear wheel and I am trying not to think what could of happened !! going out to put a torque wrench on mine now
hope its not to expensive to fix

·
12,970 Posts
have mechanic put helicoil in all six sprocket bolt holes. Do not trust the threads that are there now.
The pulley on the Vic's is larger then h-d's and a lot on the tire machines can't handle them. So the shop will take the pulley off to change the tire.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's fuk up !! in a way I looked at that and thought that is poor casting to snap like that but then thought if that had not snapped of the bolt would of jammed and locked the rear wheel and I am trying not to think what could of happened !! going out to put a torque wrench on mine now
hope its not to expensive to fix
We'll see.
Mostly, I just want to get my bike back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts