Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished painting my bike. When I purchased it, I got an exceptionally good deal due to some paint damage where the previous owner put straps across the fenders to trailer it. I originally intended to just paint the damaged parts but decided why not do the whole thing? Besides, there were scratches on the tank too.
This is my first time painting a bike. I think it looks pretty good. Well, it looks pretty good if you don't look too close.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
The bike came out great. Did you use the factory Sunset Red?

You should consider painting the chin-spoiler sides, they really pop on the red XCs

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
She looks great, but then I'm partial to red. But you really have to do something about that ugly vertical license - it ruins everything. You need to click the link below and improve that situation with one on my laydown license plate brackets. The best one there is and its cheap. (shameless self promotion) :)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh and chin-spoiler sides? Not sure what you mean.
I didn't want to hog your thread with my pics :rolleyes: but here is one of mine looking down at the right side chin fairing:

and them finished last winter

·
Registered
30 Posts
looks awesome enjoy your ride..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PaiN - Ah... I considered painting those. They're actually a part of the frame though, right? How much of a pain are they to remove? I could still go back and do it.

RICZ - Thanks, but I don't really care for the lay down plates.

·
Premium Member
13,170 Posts
PaiN - Ah... I considered painting those. They're actually a part of the frame though, right? How much of a pain are they to remove? I could still go back and do it.
Actually the lower member of the frame is the engine. The chin fairing pieces are simply bolted on with 3 bolts. If you have a belt sander or oscillating sander; it's best to smooth then side metal pieces first then spray them with a surfacing primer or high build primer (it's almost like applying a thin layer of glaze putty) then sand it smooth before applying your base coat then the clear coat.

It's more effort and more expensive to do it that way but it comes out more professional looking. You can do the inner fairing like that too. Just eliminate most of the sanding before applying the high build primer/surfacer.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
RICZ - Thanks, but I don't really care for the lay down plates.
You really know how to hurt an old guy trying hard to supplement his meager pension by coming up with something that not only beautifies a Cross bike, but increases the fuel mileage with improved aerodynamics. Do you realize how much the wind tunnel testing cost me? :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
FN beautiful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the lower member of the frame is the engine. The chin fairing pieces are simply bolted on with 3 bolts. If you have a belt sander or oscillating sander; it's best to smooth then side metal pieces first then spray them with a surfacing primer or high build primer (it's almost like applying a thin layer of glaze putty) then sand it smooth before applying your base coat then the clear coat.

It's more effort and more expensive to do it that way but it comes out more professional looking. You can do the inner fairing like that too. Just eliminate most of the sanding before applying the high build primer/surfacer.
Now I wish I had done it while doing everything else! I do have an orbital sander. I don't know a whole lot about paint, but I know that prep work makes all the difference. I will probably wait a little while before painting them though. The bike was down for this paint job longer than I wanted thanks to an exceptionally busy couple of weeks that I didn't get to work on it. Right now I just want to put some miles on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts