Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a problem. OK, I admit I am getting older but I don't think it is arthritis... BUT

First nothing wrong with my VV, I don't have a heel toe shifter so I use the big toe to up shift. I drive in a lot of traffic so I shift a lot. I think my issue is I just need more protection. I am thinking a Heel Toe shifter would be GREAT but too expensive. My solution I think is a steel toe boot.

Anyone else have this problem? Would a steel toe fix?

Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think I have a problem. OK, I admit I am getting older but I don't think it is arthritis... BUT

First nothing wrong with my VV, I don't have a heel toe shifter so I use the big toe to up shift. I drive in a lot of traffic so I shift a lot. I think my issue is I just need more protection. I am thinking a Heel Toe shifter would be GREAT but too expensive. My solution I think is a steel toe boot.

Anyone else have this problem? Would a steel toe fix?

Thanks!
Bill
Bill a pair of stiff toed boots will def do the trick! I would look into motorcycle specific boots though, that way the toe is narrow enough to fit under the shifter comfortably. cyclegear.com as several pairs on sale that aren't too flashy.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A good pair of boots will probably cost you more than a $100 heel toe shifter and you'll have to replace the boots eventually which will cost more money.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
+1 on riding boots AND be sure you are preloading the shifter for easier and quieter shifts.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Might I suggest and adjustmet, or two.
First, stop using your toe to shift. Get the shifter over the meaty part of your foot just behind the toe joints.
Second, adjust your shift lever so you don't have to raise your foot so high. Well, if you haven't already.
Third, go out and invest in some proper motorcycle touring boots. They offer a lot of protection that regular shoes and boots don't for riding and crashing.

If you have wide feet I can suggest a brand that runs wide. Most are regular, I guess width. These aren't dual sport or MX boots, although they would also work, but are not too different looking when your pants are over them than a regular boot. In fact I would think that no one would notice they are MC boots unless thay knew what they were looking at.

Getting older isn't for the faint of heart, but beats the alternative.

Good Luck

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Heel -- toe is the way to go with these low revving bikes. Makes all the difference in the world and around the same price as a decent pair of boots...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Protection

Heel -- toe is the way to go with these low revving bikes. Makes all the difference in the world and around the same price as a decent pair of boots...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Dontcha think he should be wearing proper riding boots though--in case of a go down? Dress for the crash, not the ride. cheers

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Dontcha think he should be wearing proper riding boots though--in case of a go down? Dress for the crash, not the ride. cheers
Yes! +100

I personally never, ever get on a bike without decent boots and I surely didn't mean to infer that your choice should be one or the other (although I see after reading my post that I did just that)... Even a 3mph fall down can result in serious foot/ankle injuries and good boots do a good job in helping to prevent those kind of injuries.

My point was that you shift a lot more on these bikes than most and their toe shifter is designed to not be babied, has a fairly long throw and it takes significant effort using the toe only, especially when up-shifting. The heel/toe shifter moves the shifting effort away from your small ankle and foot muscles and transfers it to your larger leg, hip and core muscles--it's less fatiguing to use.

I bought the Victory one for around $99; it has a narrow horizontal surface and never gets in the way of my size 14 boots. I am really happy with that mod and would definitely recommend it to anyone!

Thanks Ricz! cheers

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Just had to stick my nose in here BT cuz I've read that the body parts most likely to get injured in a crash are the legs and feet. I cringe whenever I see riders attired in shorts and tennies. PT Barnum was a pessimist.
Ric

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm guessing this would NOT be the appropriate time to announce that when in the FL Keys I have been known to ride in shorts with flip-flops. The flip flops keep me from burning my feet on the asphalt at stoplights and draw bridges.:D I'm with auctionguy1 on this one, suck it up buttercup!:ltr:

But seriously...Heel/Toe is the way to go. thumb up

This from someone with seriously [email protected] feet (for obvious reasons).

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I'm guessing this would NOT be the appropriate time to announce that when in the FL Keys I have been known to ride in shorts with flip-flops. The flip flops keep me from burning my feet on the asphalt at stoplights and draw bridges.:D I'm with auctionguy1 on this one, suck it up buttercup!:ltr:

But seriously...Heel/Toe is the way to go. thumb up

This from someone with seriously [email protected] feet (for obvious reasons).
The difference here being, here in the NW, we get into some serious mountain and rain riding where the skid demon lurks. You do what you gotta do.cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
When the asphalt is 120 degrees at 9am you do what you gotta do. I will admit I put a piece of pipe insulation on my shifter on those occasions. I have sensitive tootsies too.:D

I got hit by a pelican crossing the bridge over government cut, Islamorada once. We have our demons too.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
When the asphalt is 120 degrees at 9am you do what you gotta do. I will admit I put a piece of pipe insulation on my shifter on those occasions. I have sensitive tootsies too.:D
Now you know why I (and many) choose to live the moderate Pacific Northwet. No triple digit heat, no huge tornadoes, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no big snow storms...just volcanoes and rain. thumb up

·
Registered
125 Posts
Now you know why I (and many) choose to live the moderate Pacific Northwet. No triple digit heat, no huge tornadoes, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no big snow storms...just volcanoes and rain. thumb up
I'll remember that when I'm riding every day in January.:D

·
Registered
784 Posts

I got hit by a pelican crossing the bridge over government cut, Islamorada once. We have our demons too.
Put on proper gear and you will actually be cooler, not to mention more protected. You may not look like such a bad a$$ but who give a rip.

Yea, I know you don't believe it. That would be because you choose not to, though.

Don't give me the "O its hot in Florida" line either. We know a little about hot and humid in these parts, along with south La, Ms, Al, and out to the west. West gets dryer though. Hard to make people understand it is possible to be cold on a bike with the right gear. It ain't nothing all that special either.

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to throw my two cents in on this one. My bike had my toe hurtin too but i eventually got used to it. It goes away over time. I warn you guys though, not everyone can find motorcycle boots in their size. I challenge ANY of you to find me a pair in a size 15. I have been buying my shoes online since high school (90's) because stores don't carry my size. Or at least the shoes I want. I've gone to multiple motorcycle dealerships just to find a pair with no luck. Recently I visited the HD dealership and had one of the girls there see if they had any and finally found a pair. I never bought them because I just didn't like my ONE option. I own around 7 pair of boots, two of which i dedicated for the bike. So that's my reason for not owning "motorcycle" boots. I also will wear my gym shoes occasionally but honestly i'm uncomfortable doing so. They are nice and cool on hot days though.

.02 spent

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Anyone who's feet are too hot in riding boots should try those socks you see advertised in bike mags. They work and there is a difference between them and Walmart sox! I have the SOKZ brand in both their summer and winter types--extremely comfortable. Also, Cycle Gear's Heat Out underliners really work too. I wear Heat Outs under armored mesh. I'm cool and protected--that's cool.
BIG ZILLA, life of full of trade offs. January is my time for going to the range, bike projects, reading, socializing, theater, and yes, an occasional ride. Remember, I said the weather here is moderate.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Mike,
You are right. That size has got to peg the tought-to-find-o-meter. I thought my 13EE's were tough to find. Well, they are but nothing in comparison to your size. That is why I offered some that are kinda wideish. They aren't roomy but comfortable enough to wear all day for days in a row, riding or walking.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 45 Posts