Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

My Sweet Vegas..... With Issues

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NV Motors 
#1 ·
Hello, My Name is Erick and I am new to this forum. I am a seasoned mechanic on many vehicles and several motorcycles. However, I am running into some issues with my '03 Vegas. I just want to ask someone here who really knows this bike.
It has the vegas performance pipes on it and everything else motor-wise is still stock. My prob is that while accelerating (in any gear) it wants to pull my arms off but when I keep the engine at a constant speed then it feels like it misses or is out of timing. Sometimes it backfires but moslty it just runs rough. Start up is fine, accel. is fine, downshift is good also. I changed the plugs/oil and cleaned the air filter, it improved a little but the prob is still there.

Could it be:
1) cam chain tensioner not adjusted? --how do I properly adjust
2) bad oxygen sensor?
3) bad/dirty fuel injector?

#3 ·
Erick,

Ignore Doc, he apparently does not have a life, or else the Harley guys have already dis-owned him.

You are probably just a little lean. I had the same thing on my Vegas when I changed the pipes and intake. I corrected it with a Dyno-jet power commander and downloaded the map for my set-up. I have heard from several friends that the Ness Big-Shot tuner is a great way to go and is a little less money. Should be an easy fix.

Good luck and great riding!

#4 ·
RGR, Trakin. No Offense DOC, But I have read your replies in other posts. I will tell you one positive thing though.... WHen I used to work for Honda, we also serviced Harleys. Once we sold a Honda we never saw it again for anything but an oil change or to replace a tire. THe Harleys however Paid the Bills. -- (if you know what I mean). So I guess Thanks for the paycheck...

#6 ·
great post guys!
i like harleys there cool bikes & look great & if i get a deal on one ill buy it to ride for a whyle and resale for a profit BUT!!! some hd riders just cant stand a new bike takeing some of the spotlight from them. ride hd or ride **** is some of there there moto ( how fricking stupid is that ) but i think when the 2010 bikes hit the show rooms there going to be a lot more impresed folks out there, i know i am,even hondy has a couple realy cool new styles out .
so everyone have a great ride!!:D

#8 ·
You don't say what type of performance pipe is on your Vegas. If you are getting afterfire (fuel burning in the exhaust pipe) it means that when you let off the throttle, unburned fuel is getting past the cylinder. This is pretty common after high flow air filters/exhaust modifications. (even on harley's doc) If you are getting a true backfire, (fuel/flame coming back out the air filter-very rare) then you have a valve issue.
It may be as simple as having the EFI remapped with a new program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.