Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all the orange stuff is engine gasket sealer. i have a filter wrap coming in tomorrow in case i run into excessive rain. i also added a crackcase breather filter as you can see, that's the grey filter.

everything works great and it's really an easy project with the right tools and a day or so to sit down and do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Nice work! Did you notice an increase in performance?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice work! Did you notice an increase in performance?
I've only ridden it for about 20 miles and haven't been riding hard, there's still alot of gravel in places. I did notice that it doesn't seem to pop as much and it fired right up with out having to be idled up. which is something that doesn't happen for me very often in cooler weather. i'll report back once i do a little more riding.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I thought the torque tubes had two separate cone filters?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
How can you tell if you'll get more airflow.... let's see...

The tubes are stock so no change there.
Measure how many square inches of filter media you had with the flat panel K&N filter.
Measure how many square inches of filter media you have with the oval K&N filter.

If the new filter gives more area of filter media, it will potentally flow more air.
Even if the 2 filters are equal in media area, the new filter is unobstructed by the airbox/inlets to airbox (So to make everything equal the stock airbox might need to be rather generously perforated in front of the filter with a drill bit/holesaw to eliminate inlet restriction).

Then again, using a pod type filter eliminates airbox plenum space (pre-tube). Hard to say what effect that would have.

In any case, interesting mod.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nice work, it will be interesting to see how the performance actually is? I found the thread because I was looking for an alternative to the highly effective, but crazy priced Torque Tubes. Coming from the car side of things (Cobra Mustangs), the entire bike world pricing is way out of control. I'm amazed there aren't more companies producing parts at reasonable prices?!!!?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nice work, it will be interesting to see how the performance actually is? I found the thread because I was looking for an alternative to the highly effective, but crazy priced Torque Tubes. Coming from the car side of things (Cobra Mustangs), the entire bike world pricing is way out of control. I'm amazed there aren't more companies producing parts at reasonable prices?!!!?
With Victory especially the companies are working with a very limited market. With Mustangs, they can spread their costs out over literally thousands of units.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I found the thread because I was looking for an alternative to the highly effective, but crazy priced Torque Tubes. Coming from the car side of things (Cobra Mustangs), the entire bike world pricing is way out of control. I'm amazed there aren't more companies producing parts at reasonable prices?!!!?
Sometimes you get what you pay for... and ya gotta pay to play.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sometimes you get what you pay for... and ya gotta pay to play.
It is the case in motorcycle world, but it shouldn't be that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this is why I did this. I'm all about making a bike look good and go faster, but I also have that old school vein in me that make me want to take what I have and make it on my own. i don't want stuff to look like crap, but i get a huge feeling of pride when i make something that looks good, functions, and i did it with my hand not my wallet....

as soon as get my LED's figured out, I'm going to post a thread of my other dyi winter project.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't mind the trolls posting up their BS negative comments man. There is nothing wrong with taking some pride in building some one of parts for your bike.

I plan on building my own set as well, although my dual in K&N is larger than the one you used. I am going to build my own tubes instead of using the stock ones. The entire build should be less than $100 including the $54 I paid for the filter. I will post up pics of the entire build for everyones viewing pleasure, even if the good ole debby downers feel the need to bash because they lack the skills to fabricate their own stuff.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Pretty impressive man, good idea! Share with us the k&n part # and what else you used. I'm going to do this as well. Hows the sound?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lloydz should have them made out of plastic. Injection Molding is cheap and then they could sell triple for a 1/4 of the price.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Pretty impressive man, good idea! Share with us the k&n part # and what else you used. I'm going to do this as well. Hows the sound?
the filter number is r-0990, i found out it's actually used on old triumph bikes too.

the only other this i used was a dremel tool and alot of patience, the underside of the stock air box get close the the chrome cylinder head so i worked a rag between the two and watched what i was doing. it's really not hard, just a little time consuming.

the sound really isn't that different, maybe a little throatier on the exhaust side, you get the occasional "turbo" sound from the intake, but not often. I'm waiting for nice weather to ride and put some miles on this set up and run a few tanks of gas thru to see if anything changed.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts