Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the VFCIV on my bike for a few months now. Something strange happens approximately one in 200 rides (I know, crazy stat, but I've been keeping track of it). So, everything runs fine most of the time, but once in a while, I start the bike, get on it, and it's acting like the fuel controller is on drugs. AFR gauge starts reading super rich mixture, and drops all the way to 10, and power cuts out and comes back on, and it feels like it's running richer than a fat pig before Christmas. Under deceleration, the AFR starts to read normal mixture again, but as soon as I apply some throttle, it acts up again. I did pull over, checked intake to make sure nothing's blocking it, and got back on. The problem does not go away with shutting off and restarting the bike. The problem does not go away with blipping the throttle, going into WOT acceleration, or anything else I tried. However, the problem is gone the next day when I hop on it, and it doesn't come on for about a month or so, which is about 200 rides for me.

It's happened on warm days, of mid 80's to 90's ambient temp, although that's the normal weather I have been riding in almost everyday (except early mornings when I ride in 60-70 degree ambient). It has nothing to do with fuel, because the problem goes away the next time I ride it, without adding or removing fuel.

Issue never came on during a ride, and it never went away during a ride. It's there from the first moment I start the bike, and stays there until next time I ride it (which leads me to think it's all the fuel controller's fault). And, like I said, it does not occur again for about a month or 200-ish rides.

I'm out of ideas, so I am open to hear yours, or if anybody has had a similar problem with the AFR+/VFCIV.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not sure if it is same - but my Dobeck Gen 4 with gauge and Wide band O2 sensor did something like that one time. And I think I caused it?? I got on bike and started it before the the gauge set it self and then turned it off. I got a phone call and I think I toggled the key on and off rapidly! The thing ran like crap - seemed over rich and wasn't happy! I ended up just turning bike off - then turning key on ( not starting) and resetting the set points. Has not acted up since. Now when I go to bike, I turn key on, wait for the process to cycle, then hit starter, wait till the gauge sets itself and reads AFM and then I can go.
I think part of the problem is with the unit getting it's power from the damn injectors - Vic's seem to have a weird way of powering them up - when you decal they turn off ( note that;s when gauge needle swings all the way to the right) and when you turn bike off the gauge flutters and then turns off with the injectors!
Maybe I am wrong but that's what I think is happening.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i do believe the gen 4 and vfc 4 are basically the same, the vfc4 supposedly has been tweaked by lloyd

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just went through hell with my PC V and in the end it was a bad ground. I t was fine then just went to crap then fine again then go to crap was hard to find the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts