Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing one or two big trips a year....this year my big trip was Alaska. A buddy of mine and myself left on a Sunday. 11 days, 9500 miles.

Im sure a few here have done it before.....but the Dalton Highway (gravel road) is a nice little ride. Soupy slimy mud is not a good time on a 800lb bagger.....thankfully it was mostly dry.

Here are a few pics from the land of 24 hr daylight.

·
Premium Member
8,963 Posts
Helluva trip. How did your drive belt fare on gravel roads?
Did you make up a belt guard?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Awesome pics , I'm jealous ! Looks like a blast !thumb up

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great pics - Looks like you had beautiful scenery for your ride!

Very jealous indeed.

Dan

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
You got lots of cleaning ahead of you too !:D

·
Registered
372 Posts
9500 miles in 11 days? Wow, I thought my trips with 600-700 miles a day were ambitious.

I'm guessing you didn't do 800+ on gravel up in Alaska? So how big were your longer days back on pavement?

Rob

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Helluva trip. How did your drive belt fare on gravel roads?
Did you make up a belt guard?
No belt guard.....and I got not a single rock in it. It did get dusty as all hell and squeaked horribly all the way home....but a quick blast of air and she was like new.

9500 miles in 11 days? Wow, I thought my trips with 600-700 miles a day were ambitious.

I'm guessing you didn't do 800+ on gravel up in Alaska? So how big were your longer days back on pavement?

Rob
Actually I did the Dalton in one day....up and back from Fairbanks....it was about 1000 miles round trip.....but only about 800 was gravel.

I did two fairly large days. On the way out I hit it hard the first day and cranked out 1200ish miles.

On the way back I hit it hard and pulled out 1498 miles on the first run....took the Cassiar back thru the mountains.....down to Vancouver/Seattle.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Kick ass trip aaron..... thumb up

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You got lots of cleaning ahead of you too !:D
That was no lie.

I wasnt going to clean it till I got back home.....but my buddy said he couldnt even seen my taillights so I had to hit it with a car wash in Fairbanks.

Then I hand washed it 3 times at home to finally get it respectable....dirt was packed everywhere.

My Lloydz air filter was packed.....there was a pound of dirt in each saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Holy **** Brother ... Was the squeaking caused from dirt and grime in your belt ? If not that , did you ever pinpoint it ? Next time maybe leave the air strip around the filter for this kind of trip !

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Aaron,

Congratulations on your trip and thank you for taking pictures to share with us. People like you, Rollin and others who do these trips are such a wonderful inspiration. Thank you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy **** Brother ... Was the squeaking caused from dirt and grime in your belt ? If not that , did you ever pinpoint it ? Next time maybe leave the air strip around the filter for this kind of trip !
Yeah it was from the grime in the belt. Happens often on my bike when I ride gravel....especially if it rains after.....squeaks like no other.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I couldn't do that to my bike...no way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thats one hellof an effort there mate,I for one could not mentally or physically do those milages and certainly would not want to put my 8 ball through it either,but just shows what can be achieved. I salute you sir.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I couldn't do that to my bike...no way.
Ehhh.....(picked that up in Canada)

It serves me, not the other way around......Im getting my moneys worth. :D

After a real thorough washing only damage I see is some rock chips on the front of the bags and a few on the front fender....nothing important.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wouldn't feel safe on gravel. Awesome trip you did. I would share this with victory, they could use your trip as proof of reliability and you could get something out of this!

I don't think anybody rode 800 on gravel in Alaska on a Vic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts