Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pic of the V92 I just recently bought. I picked it up for practically nothing knowing there was a lot wrong with it. When I picked it up, the battery was dead, but he told me the starter was toast anyway. In his words "He blew the rear piston" (whatever that means:crzy:) because the back jug was knocking. Knowing worst case scenario I could put another engine in it, I brought it home.
I am going to keep this thread up I hope and maybe y'all can check up on me and my progress. I am not a motorcycle mechanic, but I am an aviation mechanic, so even though I am not very familiar with these bikes, I know my way around a toolbox. I am open to all suggestions and advice!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First thing, I put the charger on the battery, and got MFD to display. It was showing 11.8 volts, and I am wondering if that could be the starter issue. I have heard that the starter relay won't work if the voltage is too low.
First order of business is getting a battery in the next week or so. I also noticed that the main frame ground behind and below the battery box is kinda suspect. The frame is powder coated, and the coat extends underneath the grounds. That is high on the list of things to check out as soon as it gets warm enough outside.
Here is another pic:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice ! Look forward to the progress updates ....
Thanks, the pictures here don't do it justice that's for sure! I will be getting many more of those as well.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Turn over?

Even if you do not have a battery or money for a possible bad starter you can see if the engine will turn over. I know your a aircraft mechanic. But anyhow, pull the plugs, put it into gear and turn the back wheel. Will the wheel turn the engine over? You should be able to turn the back wheel by hand or roll the bike and get the engine to turn over, if not....... More fun times ahead, now why will it not turn over, possible tear down time. Good luck let us know what you figure out.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Should have the makings of an Interesting Thread Here .. Look Forward to seeing it as it goes ..
I'm very curious how this turns out also, sitin here with cookies and milk.:p

·
13,177 Posts
if the frame is power coated you can bet he didn't scrap any paint away to make a good grounds.
You can pick up a 40 amp breaker at NAPA p/n 782-3116 think there 6 bucks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if you do not have a battery or money for a possible bad starter you can see if the engine will turn over. I know your a aircraft mechanic. But anyhow, pull the plugs, put it into gear and turn the back wheel. Will the wheel turn the engine over? You should be able to turn the back wheel by hand or roll the bike and get the engine to turn over, if not....... More fun times ahead, now why will it not turn over, possible tear down time. Good luck let us know what you figure out.
Yeah, the engine does turn over with it in gear and rolling. I havent pulled the plugs yet, that is also high on the priority list. I was going to bore scope it while I have the plugs out and do a leakdown check on the cylinders at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if the frame is power coated you can bet he didn't scrap any paint away to make a good grounds.
YES, THANK YOU! That is the kind of info I need! The part # for the breakers and things like that. I fully agree with the powder coat inhibiting the ground. Has anyone had any luck with star washers at this ground point?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And thank you to everyone else for the interest! I fell in love with this bike when I first laid eyes on her and have full intentions of having her back on the road by next summer!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
That's wat I'm guna do .......thumb up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today was the first day nice enough to be outside since my last post but I was caught up with Honey-do's... I hope to get back to it soon.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If'n you do need to put an engine in the bike, the Vic shop has a YouTube video on swapping a freedom engine into a 98-2001 v92. These bikes are easy to work on, I had the engine out of mine in a little less than 3 hours. keep us updated. You can usually find a freedom engine on pinwall cycle, suncoastcyclesports, or eBay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Freedom

First off, you are gonna love her when she is taking you for a ride so congratulations on your purchase.

Do check into the Vic Shop video's on YouTube. They will help you make a decision on how to proceed with the engine re-build or swap. Also check out Pinwall Cycles on E-bay. They have the first gen engine and tranny as well as the Freedom motor.

This should be a great thread to watch. I love a resurrection story. I am a former Army Aviation Mechanic so do a good job and represent. cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good luck on the Bike, I too am an A&P.. But I have been on bikes for 20 years now.. I had a few issues on my '00 v92c.. The electrical is ****, too low of amperage output for most of the lighting. you can replace the regulator or go LED like I did (Nighthawk headlight, and all running lights), went from 12ish volts to 14.5 while charging. I live on a major college campus, short trips daily... those trips would destroy a battery in two weeks...

As for starting If your bike is like mine, roll/push starting is impossible. Too much compression, the rear just locks up. Trust me I live on a hill.. Id send the starter out for a rebuild.

If you decide to just say screw it and swap to a freedom, let me know, I have contemplated this just because Im tired of the clunkiness of this trans and my clutch is due.. I would like to follow along..

I am also currently rebuilding a v92sc front fork setup to take advantage of bigger forks and dual rotors and the newer rear spring/shock setup on '03's.. (Winter Project).

Hit me up if you want to chat...

-Jason

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice bike I can't wait to see what you do with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys I sure appreciate the input and glad to see some more A&P's here! The process has been slow going the last couple of weeks. I found that we can get Deka batteries from Amazon. For me that means free shipping!
I have seriously contemplated the freedom engine route if it turns out to be more than just something simple. The transmission issues I keep hearing about really make the upgrade a very viable option, and I appreciate the sources.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts