Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel consumption indicator on the bike is too optimistic. It has been showing 3-4 MPG average better than what my manual calculations show. Are all of you experiencing the same thing?

·
Registered
204 Posts
The fuel consumption indicator on the bike is too optimistic. It has been showing 3-4 MPG average better than what my manual calculations show. Are all of you experiencing the same thing?

Mine lies the other way. It shows average consumption of 40.7 mpg, but when I do the math (miles divided by gallons), it has been coming out at 43-44. I like that math...thumb up. I just wish the fuel indicator was more accurate. I hate that when the low fuel light comes on, it will usually only take 4.5 gallons to fill a 5.8 gallon tank. I don't get why Vic does it that way....it would be an easy fix. I know that I can ride another 40+ miles after the light comes on, but it freaks you out needlessly.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
My Vision lies too. I've seen as much as 8 MPG on high side. Bummer really.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Always 3-4 high on the readout. Same with the cars too. Part of it i think goes along with the speedometers being off, they show your speed being faster so your odometer is putting on more miles then you actually are, which would increase your fuel mileage, but its false.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's sucks. Mine shows 40-43 ave, but I'm really only getting about 36-38.. I'm no hyper miler tho.. i do run red line 5-10 time a tank...

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just wish the fuel indicator was more accurate. I hate that when the low fuel light comes on, it will usually only take 4.5 gallons to fill a 5.8 gallon tank. I don't get why Vic does it that way....it would be an easy fix.
I know that I can ride another 40+ miles after the light comes on, but it freaks you out needlessly.
Bothered me too. I have gotten in a habit of resetting the trip control 2 as soon as the low fuel light comes on. Then I know I have at least 40 miles (more like 60-70) before I need to fuel. If I park the bike for a day or two, I don't have to remember when the light came on:D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is no good for my blood pressure.

Is there no one that actually gets reliable information from their fuel measurement system?

I don't care that it doesn't work right on a Harley either, or a Honda or a Bourget. I don't care that it's easy to do the math on the back of a gas slip and ignore the false data the bike is telling me. I didn't buy a hawg, a Honda or a fat tire. I carry a pad and pen like I always have and I use it just like I would use it on a rat with no gauges or a Ural or a Royal Enfield, but this ain't a Ural is it?

It's all BS letting a manufacturer off the hook for a demonstrably lousy POS system that interfaces directly with the end user.

Well, that's it then. Time for a ride.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Run mileage via GPS and divide by gallons used on my calculator app on smart phone! Yesterday got 45MPG on the FWY!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
i must have gotten a good one. speedo, odo,and computer
have all been pretty close. have checked by gps and radar
too. close on outside temp indicator too.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
i must have gotten a good one. speedo, odo,and computer
have all been pretty close. have checked by gps and radar
too. close on outside temp indicator too.
Mine's all close too although after reading this thread I'm almost embarrassed to admit it... The only thing I don't care for much is the low fuel indicator which activates a bit early imho--the good part is that it is very consistent....

I have run my ST1300 dry when the indicator said I had 19 miles left--much worse problem than anything I have experienced so far on my XC...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I was going to get the speedo unlocked on my XR when I take it in for the flash but thinking now I will just save my $50 and go out for a nice dinner. Looks like a lot of information that is not all that accurate and a pain to cycle through. I do plan on getting the Tach for my XR because I think the bike looks better with it and the digital read out is a pain to see in certain light.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
13,033 Posts
This is no good for my blood pressure.

Is there no one that actually gets reliable information from their fuel measurement system?

I don't care that it doesn't work right on a Harley either, or a Honda or a Bourget. I don't care that it's easy to do the math on the back of a gas slip and ignore the false data the bike is telling me. I didn't buy a hawg, a Honda or a fat tire. I carry a pad and pen like I always have and I use it just like I would use it on a rat with no gauges or a Ural or a Royal Enfield, but this ain't a Ural is it?

It's all BS letting a manufacturer off the hook for a demonstrably lousy POS system that interfaces directly with the end user.

Well, that's it then. Time for a ride.
why don't you use the calculator on your phone

·
Registered
702 Posts
Mines been pretty close. low fuel light on at 200 miles and put 4.6 gallons to the top. dash says 44mpg.. real close..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts