Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was doing some work on my 2011 Kingpin which involved removing the gas tank. It has an S&S airbox which I did have the top cover off. The bike, 5100 miles, always had a weird noise kind of like a metal rubbing sound but not all that bad. I have tried to trace it before and always come to the conclusion it was coming from the airbox and was just normal engine noise which was just amplified because of the open filter. I took a socket extension to listen for any unusual noise and both cylinders sound pretty much the same, nothing weird or loud. After getting the bike back together and firing her up the noise is noticeably way louder than ever. Had the bike in the driveway and could hear the noise in the house. It was to the point that I wondered if I should ride it. I listened with the extension again and the motor sounded the same as before, nothing unusual so I took it for a ride. Bike runs perfectly fine. I noticed when opening the throttle or when the motor was under load the noise would pretty much go away. Once the clutch is disengaged it would come back like turning on a switch. It seemed slightly better after fully warming up. I was thinking something with the cam chains but at 5000 miles. When I got back I took a rag and covered the front of the air filter which noticeably decreased the noise. Noise has to be coming up thru the throttle bodies. I am stumped. One day not bad the next it is horrible, not a gradual increase. Any Ideas or anyone have a similar issue?

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Sounds like the torque compensator in the primary. Sound has a way of traveling through an engine so it can be difficult to track it down sometimes. The fix is an upgraded wafer spring which I hope is still available through Victory. Most Vic's make this noise to some degree. When the spring 'stack' gets weak it becomes more noticeable.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I recently was doing some work on my 2011 Kingpin which involved removing the gas tank. It has an S&S airbox which I did have the top cover off. The bike, 5100 miles, always had a weird noise kind of like a metal rubbing sound but not all that bad. I have tried to trace it before and always come to the conclusion it was coming from the airbox and was just normal engine noise which was just amplified because of the open filter. I took a socket extension to listen for any unusual noise and both cylinders sound pretty much the same, nothing weird or loud. After getting the bike back together and firing her up the noise is noticeably way louder than ever. Had the bike in the driveway and could hear the noise in the house. It was to the point that I wondered if I should ride it. I listened with the extension again and the motor sounded the same as before, nothing unusual so I took it for a ride. Bike runs perfectly fine. I noticed when opening the throttle or when the motor was under load the noise would pretty much go away. Once the clutch is disengaged it would come back like turning on a switch. It seemed slightly better after fully warming up. I was thinking something with the cam chains but at 5000 miles. When I got back I took a rag and covered the front of the air filter which noticeably decreased the noise. Noise has to be coming up thru the throttle bodies. I am stumped. One day not bad the next it is horrible, not a gradual increase. Any Ideas or anyone have a similar issue?
From your description, I was thinking cam chains also....Maybe the tensioners are gummed up a bit and sticking or not fully seated. Pull them for a cleaning and inspection.
btw...When are we meeting for a ride?? neighbor ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies.Do you think that either possible problems would occur with only 5000 miles? Would that torque compensater spring just break altogether?The noise increased drastically one day to the next ? Hard to tell by the sound in the video but possibly close, I'll record mine and see if it sounds similar ...and ya on that ride ,what town are you in?

Let's see if this works as the noise is pretty clear on the video. Only took me about an hour to get this on here https://youtu.be/lLvjK7LetBA

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody check out the video I posted with the noise from my bike? ... what do you think?

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Pain might be right. Could be timing chain noise. I wonder if one of them wore through the poly material they ride on or is loose. It's not something that's common; I can tell you that. I also wonder if the tensioner came loose on one or both of them somehow.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Anybody check out the video I posted with the noise from my bike? ... what do you think?
Pain might be right. Could be timing chain noise. I wonder if one of them wore through the poly material they ride on or is loose. It's not something that's common; I can tell you that. I also wonder if the tensioner came loose on one or both of them somehow.
Funny now that I heard the noise...I thought the sound was to "metallic" to be the cam chains. Rojo154.... Did you happen to notice if that noise increases or changes when the bike is turning or leaned? Or if you have the bike in gear with the clutch engaged\disengaged? The sound sort of has that "ball bearing" quality @LILMAGS500 described when he had that transmission shaft clip failure.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, I took it for a short ride and this is what I observed.
!) Noise while running in neutral , engage or disengage clutch no change at all.
2) put in gear, no change, let clutch out in 1st gear as clutch begins to engage noise goes away and stays quit while motor is under load.
3) while sifting, Release throttle disengage clutch, noise comes back, like turning on a switch. Engage and turn throttle noise goes away.
4) as long as the motor is under load no noise, steady throttle increase.
5) While riding at at steady rpm, slight noise,not nearly as bad.
6) nothing while turning or leaning.

The more I think about it I'm leaning toward cam chain. Though I would doubt both cylinders would have a problem, and when I listen with the extension both cylinders sound the same, to me no weird noise pretty quit. How do I check tensioner for proper operation? I think the first thing I will do is pull the oil plug to ckeck for anything outside of the normal "mud".

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
I think I'd pull each tensioner on the back side of each cylinder first. Who knows; maybe one is either broken or gummed up. I don't remember if they are simply spring loaded or hydraulic or both.

·
12,970 Posts
Before you pull cam tensioners get the O ring gaskets. Do not use the old ones.

How good is your clutch adjustment

Attachments

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
The cam chain tensioners are the large nuts on back of each cylinder. You might want to get a service manual if you're going to start digging into the engine....the cam chain tensioners are in section 7.8

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Yeah; it has been years since I messed with mine with I did the cams so I don't happen to remember if there are any things to be careful about when taking them out. Might need to pull the right side cover too. Might want to anyway.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I'm an idiot, but a grateful one. Stopped over to a local mechanic who works out of his garage on all kinds of bikes,snowmobiles and whatever. I didn't have the bike there but told him about the noise and the symptoms. Right off the bat he says... vacuum leak. I said with the noise being that loud? He replied you would be surprised. He was right on. Without going into a long story, I had replaced one of the vacuum lines with tubing that was sub par. It pulled partially out of the connector possibly due to the air filter vibration and or the tight routing. Replaced the line with the original. Started the bike up, ....Perfect!
I was so glad it was only my own stupidity as I was about to start taking things apart. I can only imagine some of the replies that are to come. Thanks for the replies and your efforts to help. I know it is hard to try diagnose something without actually being there.

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
That's the best kind of 'repair' there is, congratulations.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Agree with Mark, those are good one's no cost...8) n lesson learned...that won't soon be forgotten...8)

Good deal ride safe!!

Rob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you're saying this noise was air vacuum sound?

Amazing. Sounded like a chain or metal on metal to me.
To me it sounded like no vacuum leak but just like the sound I posted on the youtube link. HORRIBLE! You would swear something major was wrong. The mechanic I spoke with Is friggin good with lots of experience. As soon as I told him the sound goes away as the throttle is opened he knew what it was.Once the throttle opens your vacuum is lost.
I was ready to buy a manual but now will put that on the back burner as I am hoping to have the same good luck as with my 04 Kingpin. Had that bike some 10 years , 40k miles and no problems that would require a manual.I'm just so:grin:grin:grin right now, I think I'll go riding tomorrow.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's incredible that a vacuum leak can cause such a loud, mechanical sounding noise like that.

Congratulations on finding the problem and thank you for educating the rest of us on the potential problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts