Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how it happened or for how long it's been there, but last weekend I noticed a nail in the rear tire. I would have removed it and plugged it, but it was well worn anyway and in need of replacement.

Called my dealer, they wanted over $700 for new tires and installation. Asked if I could buy my own tires and have them mounted, they said no, that it's a 'new trend', people having "internet tires" put on were coming back to the dealer complaining about wheel/tire vibrations, etc.

Long story short:
Bought new tires and tools to do my own mounting, for almost half of that. And, if all goes well, I'll have tools for going it next time.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Great time for a "how to change your own tires" guide. Maybe take some pictures of your gear and such and more of us will get busy in our garages instead of feeding some dealer's ego on thinking we're buying their BS. cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Find a small bike shop to do it. One by me does it for $28. And if you use dyna beads you don't need to balance it. I do my dirt bike tires and the street tires look a lot harder. If you do yours, still use the beads, they work great and can be found on eBay cheap. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to do it myself. I want the experience. I've watched plenty of vids on youtube so of course that means I'm an instant expert anyway :D :D

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'm going to do it myself. I want the experience. I've watched plenty of vids on youtube so of course that means I'm an instant expert anyway :D :D
:ltr:cheers:ltr:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, oh Fingertipless One!

How are you feeling??

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Sometime back I picked up the setup from Harbor Freight (on sale for $40 plus $40 for the MC tire attachment) but there are much better ones on the market. Tractor Supply has pretty much the same thing for $69. Someone did some mods to the HF system to make it much better. To see click HERE.

The NoMar machine is what I wanted but could not afford at the time so I picked up some accessories, like the "Yellow Thing" and the "Mount/De-Mount bar", from NoMar and combined them with the HF system. Looks like they have a lot more accessories now.

In the video below she is using a profesional model NoMar changer but the basics are all the same when using a smaller home garage model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzyff2i78x4

·
Registered
223 Posts
Something's wrong 700 bucks sounds extremely high. Did they give you a price breakdown? I'm courious how much they are getting for a tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was a complete 'wheels-on-the-bike' installation cost. I could not believe it. So, I'm doing something about it.
I tried. I really tried to give my shop the business, but they blew me away with that quote. About the only thing I buy from them anymore is oil, and that may change too.

Note: I would NOT hesitate to buy another bike from them, but I'm not too keen on the service end of things anymore.

Besides, I'm a tinkerer, and I gotsta tinker!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sometime back I picked up the setup from Harbor Freight (on sale for $40 plus $40 for the MC tire attachment) but there are much better ones on the market. Tractor Supply has pretty much the same thing for $69. Someone did some mods to the HF system to make it much better. To see click HERE.

The NoMar machine is what I wanted but could not afford at the time so I picked up some accessories, like the "Yellow Thing" and the "Mount/De-Mount bar", from NoMar and combined them with the HF system. Looks like they have a lot more accessories now.

In the video below she is using a profesional model NoMar changer but the basics are all the same when using a smaller home garage model.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzyff2i78x4
Interesting stuff. I have _no_ room in my garage for something like that, nor would I use it enough to warrant me having it, but does make a statement :)

·
13,027 Posts
if you use dyna bead to balance it buy a longer hose from store it will help

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Something's wrong 700 bucks sounds extremely high. Did they give you a price breakdown? I'm courious how much they are getting for a tire.
Some places are much more reasonable for tire mounting than others, and prices vary wildly. A lot of dealerships are gonna stick you full retail on the tire (which is almost $300 rear and $220 or $240 front for the OE Dunlops) and then get you and hour and half labor (or more) to do them both. My dealership was ready to play ball on both labor and tires, but since they're 2.5 hours away, I ended up just pulling the wheels and taking them down with rubber from Bikebandit.com. Saved myself A LOT of dough.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you use dyna bead to balance it buy a longer hose from store it will help
Thanks for the tip, that's what I am doing. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My Dad bought the equipment to change his own tires as well. I know some of it came from HF. Now he has people coming to and paying him to do tires for them now. cheers I suspect he has gotten his value out of it.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suspect he has gotten his value out of it.
...and is continuing to get value from them :)

If all goes well, I'll be able to do it for my brother-in-law who is recovering from lung cancer yet still rides his Fat Bob...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts