Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

Nascar turn

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  BP6666VR 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I hope you have been well.
Well I am back..... nascar turns just aren't my thing.
I snapped some pictures when I was out riding on a country road for you guys to see what I am doing.
The curve/turn is posted 45mphs.
I was going back In fourth between 30 to 40mph.
I was bouncing off the yellow line through out the whole turn.
Any advice....

See less See more
#2 ·
Just hold steady pressure on bars. Push left grip into the turn. Nothing crazy. Steady throttle or slowly increase through the curve. You want to start on the right side of that and go into the curve close to the line at the midpoint. Straighten the curve. If you are starting the curve at the left side of lane you will have a more difficult time with it at higher speed.

Reactions: otab
#3 ·
Just practice. By looking at the pictures the curves are easy 80mph curves. On a scooter or a cage.

#4 ·
Look far ahead and look where you want the bike to go.

#5 ·
This.

You mention your speed. Don't watch the speedometer! Watch the road. Look where you want to be going. You can set your speed before a curve but then commit to it and ride through it. Don't look at your speed while in the curve you need to focus on where you are going and your body will naturally take you there.

#6 ·
Go into the curve in the center of the lane. Go at a speed you feel comfortable it takes practice. If you don't have a road with a lot of curves. Turn around and go through it from the other direction. There are days I don't feel comfortable in the curves, I'm off and I slow down, just not into it. The older I get the slower I go It hurts to hit the ground and I have several times in my 50+ years of riding. The curves in the pictures are good learning curves. You can see everything ahead and the road condition. Always beware of gravel and just after a rain all kinds of things can washed onto the road. Take your time it will come to you. It's a feeling and your comfortable and confident when you get into the groove.

#8 ·
Ride in the middle, center of the lane in curves. Your just going to have to learn to ride and to do that you have to ride. If you can't relax and overcome your fear. Then don't ride, sale your scooter and go on to something else.

#9 · (Edited)
I know in the US it is just too easy to get you driving licence, could you consider taking riding courses, it will help you a lot,

Do you use your front brake 70%
And rear brake 30%
For a sample?

Anyways be safe out there mate..

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: MonsterMash
#13 · (Edited)
consider taking riding courses, it will help you a lot,
Andre using TaPaTaLk
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

there is a wealth of info here and on the web. "learn to ride" videos, books, demos, etc.
if you have some riding friends, get out and take a leisurely ride with them.
90% of us have been riding for years and still have bad habits that "dad" or "uncle bob" taught us because those rider courses just weren't popular or straight up didn't exist back then.
my oldest son turned 16 in October and when he shows a little more interest in riding the FIRST thing that he will be doing will be going to the rider training course.
its a $300 investment in good riding skills, emergency braking and obstacle avoidance, cornering, body english, etc that most of us have had to learn the hard way.
small price to pay to give him an advantage to survive the sea of steel cage zombies aimlessly wandering the highway screwing with their cell phone or smacking their kids in the back seat. and then it will be a smaller displacement bike for him to learn and practice on. definitely used and it won't be a show winner that is for sure.

you asked for some advice when you joined the forum, time to start listening.
you will never learn all there is to know about motorcycling and riding. but you can learn enough to be a well seasoned rider and enjoy many many years behind bars.

maybe the Fat Bob just isn't the bike for you and you would be better suited for a bike that fits you better?

Reactions: otab and BP6666VR
#11 ·
I know it is hard to get used to this, but it is crucial that you don't fixate on the road in front of you, the yellow lines, etc., but rather that you keep your eyes up, look ahead through the curve, and use only your peripheral vision to figure out where you are on the road. The bike will go where your eyes go, so if you are watching the yellow lines, that is where your bike will go. Look out ahead to where you want the bike to be, and that is where it will go. Don't be afraid to use a little throttle to overcome a slight error in pavement placement. You will get it.

#12 ·
Oh, a Fat Bob! Nice bike! I almost made a deal for one, but as time would have it the bike is probably a bit too heavy for me at my age anyway.

Suggestion 1: relax. You are bouncing off the yellow line because your entry speed into the turn is to low. Try entering the turn at the posted speed and see what happens. You will not exit the blacktop if you enter the turn at the posted speed, unless you have forgotten how to turn the bike.

Suggestion 2: If you cannot enter a turn at the posted speed, on clean dry pavement, go home and get off the bike. Call the closest motorcycle safety course that offers smaller vehicles to train on, and enroll.

Good luck.

#14 ·
Do these answers sound familiar? They're the same answers you got last time.

• enroll in riding courses.
  • ride with experienced friends who can help coach you
  • practice
  • consider getting a bike that's more appropriate for you as a beginner

#16 ·
the biggest problem is, he is from Kansas, just like me, and curves are hard to find. Head to Arkansas!!
Good info, so turning 8 figures in a parking lot should be good practice..... I guess

Andre using TaPaTaLk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.