Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new paint job on my CCT and would like to protect the frest paint from the searing Florida sun while the bike is in the parking lot here at work all day, every day. So, I need to get a cover. Looking for something that is water proof, has an anti-scratch lining, and is easy on my wallet. There are a ton of MFGs out there. How the heck do you determine what’s good and what’s bad???

Anyone have a cover they really like???

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I have one. I call it a 'garage' :D :D

Seriously, I have heard good things about the Vic cover. Yea, it's pricy, but it's also a good cover.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have a garage as well, but it's kinda' hard to bring to work.

Me and a few other guys here at work that ride daily talked to management about letting us put up one of those canopy things in the back of the parking lot for motorcycles... denied.

So a cover is my last option.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but I would avoid a cover...
If you put a cover on a bike that has even the slightest bit of dust on it, you will be scratching the paint. A bike you ride regularly will have a good bit of dust/dirt on it. Dragging the cover on repeatedly, day after day, will cause more paint damage than the sun will. A good coat of wax/sealant will be all the protection it needs. There is no such thing as a scratch proof cover lining....
My $.02

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree with Luvmyride
I have a cover from Bilt, lined and it has elastic to draw it tight
As careful as I am I can see this thing scratching the paint.
I only use it when the bike isn't going to move for several days

·
13,026 Posts
You say fresh paint.

Don't cover it for a good 120 days if not more. Fresh paint is very soft. Yes its dry but a cover will leave impression of the cover in the paint

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Like others, I'm not convinced of the need to protect the paint from the sun. However, if you want to cover it, that is your call. I have three different covers all used on XCT bikes. One of these is the Victory XCT cover. It is VASTLY superior to the other covers but it also costs some crazy money - something like $180. I only have it because it came with one of the bikes when I bought it used. The XCT cover fits well even with the tour pack in place and is waterproof and tight to the bike so it won't blow off. The XCT cover is also HUGE when rolled up. It is well larger than a shoebox even when tightly rolled and takes a ton of room in the tour pack or saddlebag. The other two covers I use are cheap Walmart or Target store types designed for "XL" motorcycles. Despite the cheap covers claiming to be for an "XL" bike, they will not fit over the bike completely when the tour pack is in place. The cheap covers also claim to be waterproof but they do leak a little. When the bikes are covered outside on a trip and it rains, there is water on the inside surface of the cheap covers and the bike is a little bit wet. All I have to do is wipe off the seat and a few other surfaces and the bike is ready to go. This is much better than a soaking wet seat and a wet butt all day. The cheap covers are also very small when rolled up - maybe the size of two balled up fists. It will easily fit inside of a helmet - even a half-helmet. The cheap covers were about $20.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. The question is - how much quality do you need compared to the cost?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
347 Posts
What kind of paint did they use? Anything but a quality automotive AU (Acrylic Urethane) base, color and topcoat, and I would stick it in the shade at least..

Acrylic Lacquer? Soft and doesn't like the sun or solvents, Acrylic Enamel? Harder, but not as hard as AU paints and still doesn't like the sun or solvents.

Either way at least 30 days for enamel to cure and at least a couple of months for lacquer to properly harden.. Both would be dependent on how many coats were applied, temperature and humidity.. AU paints harden chemically with a catalyst, heck, some finishes now use UV light to cure them..

So, depends on the paint, talk to your painter and ask what he would suggest..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like to find a "Day Cover". They have minimal contact with the bike but provide great shade from the sun. Living in Vegas, that's a big deal for me. All I need is something to wrap over the windshield and stretch over my touring trunk. In the summer, my bike gets so hot while I'm at work the hand controls will blister my fingers and I know the leather seat is just rotting away.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I understand that the paint needs time to fully cure before I apply wax or putting a cover on it. There are several layers (including OEM paint) in some areas, a lot of millage. So it will definitely take longer than usual to cure out… I’m guessing about 3 months???

photo.jpg

There were a bunch of different paints used in this job. Primer sealer (HOK KS10 2-part acrylic urethane), GM Superior Blue (Sherwin Williams 7000 series solvent based urethane), Sherwin Williams intercoat clear (same), HOK Ice Blue Pearl (IP05), base coat black (HOK BC-25), Victory Mettasheen Black/Crystal Clear (Midwest Industrial Coatings 2-part clear acrylic urethane with mica and pearl), silver pinstripe (Custom Shop urethane), a high solids clear (don’t know which one), and HOK USC01 Kosmic Urethane Show Klear as the last step.

A lot of time, effort and $$$ went into this. I would like to keep it shiny as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I am certainly not a paint expert but wouldn't the only layer that would be possibly harmed by the wax or the cover be the last layer applied - the "HOK USC01 Kosmic Urethane Show Klear" in your case?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Goody would be a good one to ask about the paint

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Short term… you have to let the paint breath for a while to let out all the solvents and stuff so the paint can fully harden. Putting wax on fresh paint prevents this from happening and you end up with soft paint.

Long term… I don’t see how applying wax after a few months would hurt anything. As long as it’s not the “black wax” with the dyes in it. I could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nati...

That thing might fit in the trunk of the bike, but I don't think I want to pack it up and take it home with me every day.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you have the cash a company called speedway motor shelters makes a motorcycle tent. It doesnt touch the bike at all
I have two of those to house my scoots.. Wish I had a garage, but if you don't, these things are great. You can fit the XCT in the largest one..

They should be anchored down, and I set mine up on a properly installed concrete paver base over my gravel driveway..

Not portable though.. :frown

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This isn't the answer you are looking for, but I would avoid a cover...
If you put a cover on a bike that has even the slightest bit of dust on it, you will be scratching the paint. A bike you ride regularly will have a good bit of dust/dirt on it. Dragging the cover on repeatedly, day after day, will cause more paint damage than the sun will. A good coat of wax/sealant will be all the protection it needs. There is no such thing as a scratch proof cover lining....
My $.02
I'm going to agree. Driving it down the road will do more damage to the paint than it being in the sun. If I take my bike to work, then its usually outside from from 6:45 in the morning to 6:30 to 7:30 at night. I don't worry about it sitting in the sun. My bike is usually dirty all the time, so I'm not going to drag a cover over every day, especially with a hot engine and exhaust underneath. People don't cover their new vehicles while at work, and they usually cost more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts