Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to the victory scene and I used to own two Harleys, a Sportster 1200 Custom and then a 2000 Roadking. One of the things I am having an issue with is the left turnsignal control. When I am out riding, it is nearly impossible for me to clutch and activate/deactivate the turn signal. Ive got pretty big hands and when I start to move my thumb to work the turn signal, it always hits the audio controls. Are there any suggestions to help me with this? I looked at the underside to see if I could move the audio controls but there is no play in the mounting of that.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing of this type of issue .... I have fairly large hands and have never had this happen to me .

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Are there any suggestions to help me with this?
Yes, stop trying to multi-task (clutch and signal at same time) You should know that guys can't multi-task .... well, some can ... like me ... I can chew gum, talk, and make an ass out of myself at the same time!

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at my pic and imagine holding down the clutch, it nearly impossible to work any other controls with your thumb without hitting the audio controls.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if there is an audio control relocation mount? Maybe I could move it over one bolt hole and then tighten it down to keep it from moving...

·
Registered
780 Posts
One of the things I am having an issue with is the left turnsignal control. When I am out riding, it is nearly impossible for me to clutch and activate/deactivate the turn signal. Ive got pretty big hands and when I start to move my thumb to work the turn signal, it always hits the audio controls.
Pardon- I may be missing something here. but I'm gonna take this snip and simply suggest that it may be better to use the turn signal before the clutch, and then after the turn- let it self cancel?

or- manually cancel (if it's still on) between the coming up-shifts, or when you are going to stay in your current gear for more than a few secs?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol let me put it in perspective. I commute to DC a couple times a week. There are alot of times where you go one block and then have to turn just to snake around the traffic jam. It can get hectic in that scenario taking off from a complete stop speeding up and then immediately clutching and deciding it would be better to turn and your wearing leather gloves and your thumb hits the audio control all at the same time trying to slow down to come to another stop.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Lol let me put it in perspective. I commute to DC a couple times a week. There are alot of times where you go one block and then have to turn just to snake around the traffic jam. It can get hectic in that scenario taking off from a complete stop speeding up and then immediately clutching and deciding it would be better to turn and your wearing leather gloves and your thumb hits the audio control all at the same time trying to slow down to come to another stop.
It really shouldn't be too hard to drop the audio controls an 1" or so. There's only two screws that attach it to the bracket, I imagine you could easily fabricate a small plate or extension that fits between the bracket and control pod to lower it a desired amount.

edit: If you do this make sure you don't lower it so much that the pod hits the tank at full lock.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I'd be looking for a way to extend the audio controls away from the perch - maybe a spacer of some sort. Short of that, try this drastic measure; Don't have the radio on in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Short of that, try this drastic measure; Don't have the radio on in heavy traffic.
Not the issue, the issue is the control itself, not whether its on or not. Be warned. I told you I have large hands... :wink

·
Registered
632 Posts
I feel for you.. My Gunner has simple simple Spartan controls no miscues there, Where as with my Harley's every time i try turn on or off the brights i inavertlly blast the horn...Every time!!..Very unnerving So i stopped using them..:frown

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel for you.. My Gunner has simple simple Spartan controls no miscues there, Where as with my Harley's every time i try turn on or off the brights i inavertlly blast the horn...Every time!!..Very unnerving So i stopped using them..:frown
Your not alone I still hit the horn on this bike trying to cancel out the turn signal when its dark lol.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your not alone I still hit the horn on this bike trying to cancel out the turn signal when its dark lol.
Yep. Done that a couple times. :D

Can we all agree that Victory probably bought these archaic control units from a 1977 JC Whitney catalog?

·
Premium Member
8,790 Posts
Who needs audio anyway.
Stereo pipes are all the music I need.
Way bikes are going theyre becoming a 2 wheel car.
Back to basics I reckon.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yep. Done that a couple times. :D

Can we all agree that Victory probably bought these archaic control units from a 1977 JC Whitney catalog?
Wow.. JC Whitney... Back in the 60's Their catalog was my Bible.. I bought just about every one of the gas saving gismos they were hawking. And everyone of them worked out as exactly as they planned. Made them a ton of money... :laugh

1 - 19 of 19 Posts