Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I was trying to replace my primary cover on my 2014 Victory CC, the right side cover came off no problem, but the primary cover bolts must be welded on:mad: The top bolt on the cover is kinda stripped now and I don't want to do the same to the bottom bolt as well. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
13,002 Posts
Okay I was trying to replace my primary cover on my 2014 Victory CC, the right side cover came off no problem, but the primary cover bolts must be welded on:mad: The top bolt on the cover is kinda stripped now and I don't want to do the same to the bottom bolt as well. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the "round" cover with the two bolt one on top and one on the bottom.
Your using a metric allen wrench aren't you.
If you have strip the bolt then you have only one choice. Drill the "head" of the bolt off. You'll be fine if you go slow and take your time.
It "might" be a 1/4 drill bit. Before you drill go buy a new bit from hardware store or auto store.
One you just have the "head" off don't go any deeper. Now take cover off and with some pliers you can un screw the bolt. You'll have plenty of bolt sticking out to get the pliers on.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Visionjohnny, yes that's the one on the left side of bike. I was using my Snap-on socket bit 5mm, I also tried it with just using an Allen key, it's as if the bolts are welded in. I don't own a easy-out kit and haven't ever used one either. I was hoping there would be another opt:(

·
Registered
251 Posts
If your trying with the bike cold, ride it a little and get it warm, then try removing them. It should help soften any lock tite on the bolts and may expand the mettle around them a little.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your trying with the bike cold, ride it a little and get it warm, then try removing them. It should help soften any lock tite on the bolts and may expand the mettle around them a little.
You know I thought about doing that, but I got the bike kinda apart because of adding my accessories. I guess I might have to leave this alone and finish everything else and revisit.:mad:

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This is one of the best tools I have purchased in a long time
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impact-Driver/dp/B000HT8I9O/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1402681130&sr=1-6&keywords=impact+driver[/ame]
I didn't get this one exactly but I bought one back in the winter because I was in the process of taking apart my 1973 Kawasaki 2 stroke enduro. You will need an easy out for the one that you stripped.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is one of the best tools I have purchased in a long time
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impact-Driver/dp/B000HT8I9O/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1402681130&sr=1-6&keywords=impact+driver
I didn't get this one exactly but I bought one back in the winter because I was in the process of taking apart my 1973 Kawasaki 2 stroke enduro. You will need an easy out for the one that you stripped.
That's a good opt but I need Hex bit. I briefly looked on line at Sears, they want over $100 for 11 pcs set!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can buy hex bits all over the place. It is the same size that fits in quick change screw drivers. Sears, Lowes, Ace Hardware should have them. I think I got my set from Lowes for less than $10.

I would also use a soldering iron or small butane solder torch to heat it up first. I am sure they have Loctite and some heat will make it a lot easier. If you are using a flame, put the heat on the bit and let it transfer to the bolt so you don't do any damage to the surrounding area.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can buy hex bits all over the place. It is the same size that fits in quick change screw drivers. Sears, Lowes, Ace Hardware should have them. I think I got my set from Lowes for less than $10.

I would also use a soldering iron or small butane solder torch to heat it up first. I am sure they have Loctite and some heat will make it a lot easier. If you are using a flame, put the heat on the bit and let it transfer to the bolt so you don't do any damage to the surrounding area.
The problem with getting these bits is the kits I'm finding local only goes down to 6mm I need a 5mm for the primary cover. If I have to order a kit with it, I'll be waiting till next week sometime.:(

·
Registered
193 Posts
That's a good opt but I need Hex bit. I briefly looked on line at Sears, they want over $100 for 11 pcs set!!
Maybe another option is to superglue a hex socket into the stripped head, warm the area up and try to turn it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe another option is to superglue a hex socket into the stripped head, warm the area up and try to turn it.
Who would've thought this would be such a pain!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Who would've thought this would be such a pain!
Having added and removed a lot of stuff on my bike, I am never surprised by what can go wrong and it is generally these types of "little" things that will stop you in your tracks.

It took me about 2 hrs to add a 1/4 turn throttle to my bike with stock handlebars. PITA! Then I decided to swap the bars out for 2" pullback and I had the throttle on & off in about 15 minutes...I guess that is the advantage of experience....

...sure makes me appreciate the folks who do it for a living though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Having added and removed a lot of stuff on my bike, I am never surprised by what can go wrong and it is generally these types of "little" things that will stop you in your tracks.

It took me about 2 hrs to add a 1/4 turn throttle to my bike with stock handlebars. PITA! Then I decided to swap the bars out for 2" pullback and I had the throttle on & off in about 15 minutes...I guess that is the advantage of experience....

I agree with you, I'm coming from metric bikes and these things happen, I just hate when it's caused by the manufacture or the dealer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It prob is just some good lock-tite and I would put more on when done so it doesn't fall off. It's just part of dealing with motorcycles. They vibrate so everything has to be super tight or glued on so it doesn't fall off. :eek:

·
13,002 Posts
do like I said drill head off and when you take cover off unscrew stud with pliers
You caould have it off by now

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Did you do the 1/4 throttle ring without removing the tank on your XC?

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Judicious use of a propane torch to heat stuck, corroded and/or lock-tited fasteners works wonders. Or a heat gun. Rapping with a hammer and punch helps too.

·
13,002 Posts
Judicious use of a propane torch to heat stuck, corroded and/or lock-tited fasteners works wonders. Or a heat gun. Rapping with a hammer and punch helps too.
you don't think the propane torch is going to burn up the lettering on the derby cover

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
you don't think the propane torch is going to burn up the lettering on the derby cover
I was being very general about the subject. To be specific, yes, you would not use a torch where it could do damage.:crzy:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts