Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Cross Roads with a windshield. I would like to lower it around 1/2". I was thinking of drilling a hole in the chrome mounts to do it, but I am wondering what harm I will do, if I do this. Would you please share your thoughts. Thank you.

John

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
To make certain just how far down you need to trim it, take an 8" length of masking tape, fold one end about 1/4" (to make it easy to remove) and place it horizontally across the inside of the windshield at a height below the top and go for a ride imagining that's the top of the w/s. Adjust the height until you can see well above the tape. With a dry erase pen, mark the trim line. Cover the heel plate of your saber saw with masking tape and slowly and carefully cut along your line. Starting with med-fine sandpaper, ending with super fine, work the edge smooth and round. Then gloss over the edge with a heat gun or propane torch to make it super smooth.

·
13,002 Posts
If you want to drill a hole.
Go buy plastic drill bits they have special fluting to them so they don't grab and crack plastic

·
Registered
168 Posts
To make certain just how far down you need to trim it, take an 8" length of masking tape, fold one end about 1/4" (to make it easy to remove) and place it horizontally across the inside of the windshield at a height below the top and go for a ride imagining that's the top of the w/s. Adjust the height until you can see well above the tape. With a dry erase pen, mark the trim line. Cover the heel plate of your saber saw with masking tape and slowly and carefully cut along your line. Starting with med-fine sandpaper, ending with super fine, work the edge smooth and round. Then gloss over the edge with a heat gun or propane torch to make it super smooth.
Agree with all of this except DO NOT try to finish the edge with a torch. The plastic will bubble and turn black before it glosses over. I've done plexi like that many times, but it does not work on the Vic shield.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Pelz. Same for a heat gun on low?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I didn't try the heat gun, but I did try all different ways with a flame on scrap pieces. The plastics melting point seems to be its burning point. I used the sandpaper method you mentioned with a palm sander and it came out nice. It just takes longer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I may not have been clear in what I was thinking of doing. I was referring to the chrome windshield mounting that connects to the forks. I was thinking of drilling a hole into those chrome mounts. I am just not sure if that's a very good idea or not. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me.

John

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
You never want to drill through chrome, it will start peeling and besides, its very, very hard. Go to plan B.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I decided to take my windshield to an automobile windshield replacement company. They cut my windshield down and it looks like all is well now. Thank you again for all your responses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts