Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. I own a 15 Cross Country Tour. I have 5700 miles on it with Metzler 888 front and rear. I run my tires +3 recommend psi. The air shock at 32 psi. Also i installed a Klockwerxs windscreen. At 70 mph the bike is fine. Getting over 100 the front and rear feel unstable. I dont how to describe it but as wicked loose. This has been happening since I purchased the bike new. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
What are the actual tire pressure(s), +3 tells us nothing. Easy cure is don't go near 100, it ain't legal anywhere in this country. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You shouldn't ride a bike with a fork mounted fairing that fast. They become unstable at higher speeds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ricz 42 psi is the recommend psi on the tires. And sometimes gotta get somewhere in a hurry.

Im just not sure if this is a typical problem with the CCT.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I don't get over 100 much, but I can't say I ever noticed my XC "get loose" at those speeds, in fact its rock solid.
Try running at the recommended tire pressures and check the steering head for play.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't get over 100 much, but I can't say I every noticed my XC "get loose" at those speeds, in fact its rock solid.
Try running at the recommended tire pressures and check the steering head for play.
Even with the Dunlap E3 tires at factory air pressure. I'll have to schedule a time to go the dealer and have them check the steering head.

Do you have the trunk on when this happens?
Both trunk on and off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you try the stock wind screen? to eliminate wind screen? I had found lots of different screens produce different handling @ high speeds on the track days I had been to.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
drop your rear tire tire pressure 5-8 lbs. See what that does. you're prob over inflated on the front too.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I need some advice. I own a 15 Cross Country Tour. I have 5700 miles on it with Metzler 888 front and rear. I run my tires +3 recommend psi. The air shock at 32 psi. Also i installed a Klockwerxs windscreen. At 70 mph the bike is fine. Getting over 100 the front and rear feel unstable. I dont how to describe it but as wicked loose. This has been happening since I purchased the bike new. Hopefully someone can give me some advice.

I run my XC at or over 100mph at least once or twice every time I ride. Mine feels loose to me as well... Not scary loose but a little loose. What type of bike are you coming off of?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I think at 100 MPH on a public highway , Your bike is telling you to slow down.. :eek
Nah it's just asking you to find the problem. Check the torque on your swingarm nuts. You'll have to pull the rear peg/board mounts to do so. Also check your front stem nut adjustment, there are two. There is a round nut with notches in it as well as a top standard hex nut above it that locks the lower in place. Check your rear wheel alignment too. Buy or download a service manual.

·
12,970 Posts
Do you have the H rated tires. they say they're good for 130mph

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
If you are running your front tire at 42 psi, it is overinflated. That will be a little squirrelly. Try 36-38 psi. I run 40-42 in back. No problems. I don't do a lot of 100 mph runs but have been there plenty times. I run a lot of 80mph, and it smooth as silk for me.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Try slowing the **** down before you kill yourself or someone else Brother , your not on a Ninja , or a track .... Just sayin' .... Flame away .:nanana:

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My buddy , who I ride with happily is a speed demon . Last summer after an EPIC ride to Lake Placid hit a deer after we parted ways to head to our respective homes . You know who you are PaiN:grin . He called me shakin' just after the collision and told me 'quote' " If I had only been going the speed limit I could have easily avoided this deer" , since this incident I believe he has rethought his "need for speed" and taken a safer direction in his riding , and this makes me happy as the world is a better place with him in it .

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
All this speed and testosterone thing has me glad I'm in my dessert years with nothing to prove to anyone, including myself. Its so peaceful in my head now.

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Might want to eliminate a couple things by taking the plexi windshield off then see if it does it. If it doesn't; you have found your cause. Try a V-Stream shield.

Another thing I would do is raise your shock pressure to at least 40 psi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts