Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into buying a used victory vegas. I stumbled across a 2013 on craigslist at a good price but unfortunately it is a salavge titled bike. First impression is to steer clear due to the title status although after talking with the current owner the damage was supposedly very minimal and all cosmetic. I'm going to take a look at this Friday. Let me know your honest opinion and thoughts.
The only background is that it was purchased at an auction and a new rear fender, seat, mirrors and battery box cover were installed. The owner claims it's in like new condition. The carfax comes back as " embankment collision to the left side. Minor to moderate damage"

https://albany.craigslist.org/mcy/5487656474.html

Thank you

·
13,262 Posts
if it has reconstruc title contact your DMV and see what it would take to get a clear title.
Lots of insurance companies will not touch you or charge you a higher price.

a friend bought his car back after a accident and on his way home one night he was sitting at a stop light. Cop pulled up behind him while waiting for light to change green the cop ran his plate and it came up reconstruc title. Light turned green cop pulled him over. Then a dui check and equipment check. Two hours later he was back on the road

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Was the original title from this Vegas in CT?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The carfax showed original title in Kentucky. Reported accident 5/23/14
It looked like a buddy's Vegas I used to ride with.....before he hit an embankment with it....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Id move on , this is headaches your not going to want , I mean who wants a salvaged bike unless its for parts ? There is always much more wrong then the eye can see .... Keep looking , just solid advice Brother . Good luck .cheers

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Only 2 reasons I would but a salvage title bike or car. Like Mags said parts, or if its a bike your going to ride until its done. Some insurance companies wont even insure it. Even if you get a rebuid title you cant get "book" value, so seldom are they a money maker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the input. I guess I'm spending to much time looking at the year and the low miles. I know it can be bought for 7k possibly less.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used to buy sport bikes from insurance companies that had salvage titles all the time. Many of them were purely cosmetic damage like you said. Take it to a shop and have them look it over if you're nervous. Call your insurance company and ask them about coverage. I'd also want to verify that the mileage is legit. If all checks out I wouldn't be scared of it for the right price. Key words being "right price".

·
13,262 Posts
Makes me wonder why he's selling it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems to me that there would be more extensive damage than what this guy is telling me, for an insurance company to total the bike. I'm leaning toward going with a clean used vegas instead. I cant get the salvage bike for less than 7k and a 3 hr ride to pick it up.

I found the bike in the link bellow...1 year older with a little more mileage. price does not look bad.

2012 Victory Vegas 8-Ball

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have officially decided to stay away from the salvage titled bike. Found a couple other similar victory vegas bikes with clean titles in the 8k range.
One inperticular is a 2012 with 1,700 miles. Price is 7,900. Has dealer installed cobra trip pro? Exhaust and s&s intake? But no fuel controller. I thought a fuel controller was necessary. Price seems right. 5.5hr drive to get it.

Another one is a 2012 with same mileage but bone stock. Which I almost prefer. 8,200$ but comes with Joe rocket gloves & jacket. Also it comes with a helmet with an air pump? Never heard of that. 4hrs to get there.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
86 Posts
Banshe350
I have a 2013 Vegas 8 Ball...I would check book on the motorcycle. It seems expensive for having a salvage title and having a clear title.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/color

1 - 15 of 15 Posts