Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my girlfriend 2011 Vegas 8 ball and broke the the nipple to the gas tank is there a way to fix it or do I have to get a new fuel pump
Or will a 2012 xr fuel pump work in her bike
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,312 Posts
@RICZ came up with a way to fix these by inserting a tube inside then putting the pieces together then using a JB Weld type product to make it whole again.

He even posted pictures somewhere. Hopefully he will see my flag to him and help out.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Get a piece of 1/4" steel or aluminum tubing and a drill bit that will provide a friction fit for the tubing. Empty the tank and stand it up. Carefully drill both parts. Have sweetie hold a vacuum nozzle to the tank part when drilling. Measure the depth of the hole in the tank - just the plastic portion. Measure the length of the broken off nipple and cut the tubing to the length those two add up to. Grind a taper on one end of the tubing and tap it into the top end of the nipple as shown in the photo. Remove any burrs. Place some adhesive (super glue, plastic cement, whatever) on both broken surfaces, align and tap tubing into pump body per photo. That's it!
I did that repair many years ago and it's still holding and it should, cuz it's now much stronger than before.
FYI....When removing the tank, lift it and disconnect the fuel line from the tank. Then reverse that when replacing the tank. Disconnecting from the lower end only invites breaking the nipple.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Rainman123,

If all else fails and you need a new fuel pump assembly, I have a new one at my house. I'm not that far from you being just east of exit 20 from I-75. I have a funeral to attend this afternoon though. The new fuel pump assembly I have is for the Cross bikes. Just let me know if you need it. You can replace it later as I don't need it right now.

7 1 6 2 5 5 9 7 1 1 is my cell number

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rainman123,

If all else fails and you need a new fuel pump assembly, I have a new one at my house. I'm not that far from you being just east of exit 20 from I-75. I have a funeral to attend this afternoon though. The new fuel pump assembly I have is for the Cross bikes. Just let me know if you need it. You can replace it later as I don't need it right now.

7 1 6 2 5 5 9 7 1 1 is my cell number
I really appreciate it but haven't been able to find out if it would work on the Vegas yet
I will get in touch with you later this evening

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
A 2011 Vegas and a 2012 CCT have different item numbers for the fuel pump assembly. I suspect the only change is the attached fuel filter. The formed rubber gasket is the same for both bikes so I highly suspect the fuel pump assemblies are/would be interchangeable. From looking at the diagrams on www.partspitstop.com, the Vegas fuel filter is long and thin. The CCT fuel filter looks like it could be the same filter just folded in half. Go figure.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update
Got my girlfriend Vegas running today got a new used fuel pump in the mail Tues that had the 11.8 mm fitting instead of the 9.5 mm I had to order a new fuel line with the 11.8 fitting on it but I decided to call my other local dealer in Chattanooga TN to see if he had one and I got lucky he did I ask him to hold it for me and went down to get it
I would also like to give a big thanks to Chattanoogamark who last weekend gave me a new fuel pump to use
Didn't put it in at the time cause I didn't have the fuel hose
I really appreciate it Mark
And I also like to thank the ones that gave me the info to try to fix my screw up

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
You have my number friend, let's do some riding.

Folks, amazingly, it was mid 60's this weekend here in Chattanooga. Every time some asks if I like living here I just smile and say "yes, yes I do."

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do Mark hopefully soon

·
Registered
123 Posts
So this thread got me thinking . . . would it be reasonable prevention to drill out and insert a steel tube before this nipple breaks. Considering that replacement parts will become harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Yes, I recommend doing that, but a word of caution: Measure, with a caliper, the diameter of the tubing, then select a drill bit that is JUST a pussy hair under that measurement. You want a friction fit, not an interference fit, or the nipple will split.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Yes, I recommend doing that, but a word of caution: Measure, with a caliper, the diameter of the tubing, then select a drill bit that is JUST a pussy hair under that measurement. You want a friction fit, not an interference fit, or the nipple will split.
Ha ha ha, classic writings ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
255 Posts
RICZ
Was that a RCH or BCH?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Blonde, Red, Brunette, or Mediterranean?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm, that must be a metric measurement. The SAE equivalent was always 'a kunt hair'. Leastaways everything was that close in my dad's shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts