Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please pardon my ignorance but I need some help identifying paint to use to fix a small bit of damage and I know nothing about vehicle paint. I had a very minor mishap while trailering my bike last weekend. My fairing edge rubbed against the fairing of a newer Indian Roadmaster. This damaged the paint on my outer fairing a little. The only damage is on the outer fairing near the edge. It is small consolation that the Indian was damaged worse. I spoke with a painter friend who can repair my damage but he asked me:

"Any chance you can find out what basecoat and clear was used? Manufacturer, paint-code for the black, Full Urethane or Acrylic Urethane?"

My bike is a 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour and the black is, I believe, the original factory black paint on which a painter has applied a blue fire aftermarket paint. I have attached a picture of the bike and the damage.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,149 Posts
A good auto body shop has a machine that will do a perfect match.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
@Vinish that is just an amazing paintjob, how does your hairstyle look ¿

I cannot help you, but again, amazing paintjob ....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sweet looking ride...ouch on the nasty good luck getting it touched up!! I think Ricz is right take it to a reputable auto body shop....

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not taking it to some fly by night operation in the basement or garage of a friend. He is a rebuilder of antique cars who specializes in Studebakers and who also does great paint work. I've seen half a dozen bikes or bike parts that he has painted and his work is top notch. Unfortunately, his shop does not have a paint color matching machine.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has information on the type, manufacturer, paint-code, etc. on the aforementioned black paint would share the info. Thanks.

BP6666VR, the paint is even more impressive up close. There are hundreds of small ghost skulls in the paint. Many of the little circles in the paint are actually ghost skulls. I am not into the whole skull motif but these subtle skulls are pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
I'm not taking it to some fly by night operation in the basement or garage of a friend. He is a rebuilder of antique cars who specializes in Studebakers and who also does great paint work. I've seen half a dozen bikes or bike parts that he has painted and his work is top notch. Unfortunately, his shop does not have a paint color matching machine.

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has information on the type, manufacturer, paint-code, etc. on the aforementioned black paint would share the info. Thanks.

BP6666VR, the paint is even more impressive up close. There are hundreds of small ghost skulls in the paint. Many of the little circles in the paint are actually ghost skulls. I am not into the whole skull motif but these subtle skulls are pretty cool.
any good paint man should be able to eyematch it

·
Registered
742 Posts
Having dabbled in custom paint (admittedly a long time ago) I bet the reason for your painter's question has more to do with the chemistry of the paints than the coloration of them. Even if that black isn't a perfect match he'll blend it into the surroundings so smoothly you'll never notice the transition - but choosing the wrong basecoat composition (lacquer, polyester or waterborne) or the wrong clearcoat (lacquer, enamel, urethane etc) can have devastating reactions if applied in the wrong combinations. In your case, unless you can find the original painter you can never know for sure. They do make sealers to act as barriers between incompatible chemistries but all that stuff has changed 10 times since I've left the game. I gotta believe they've made it pretty safe by now but I'm sure it's still best to know what you're working with up front. Good luck with your hunt because as far as I know there's no way to know what kind of paint it is from smelling or feeling it, maybe a lab analysis - but that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perhaps I am wrong but I think that the black paint on the bike is the original factory OEM black that was on a 2012 Victory XCT. I suspect that the custom painter only applied the blue/white/gray to make the fire and ghost skulls. The damage is ONLY in a small area which is all black on the edge of the outer fairing. It is my hope that the black and the clear in this area are original. Is this not a reasonable possibility? If not, please tell me. If so, any sources for information on the original black OEM paint and clearcoat would be appreciated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Corrected - see below.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Your signature indicates the bike is a 2012. Assuming the bike has the factory paint with the embellishments added on top, the factory paint code is 266.

To the best of my knowledge, no one other than Witchdoctors will have the factory paint/clear coat.

Color: https://buywitchdoctors.com/p/598272/victory-cross-country-paint-touch-kits-shop-parts-accessories-gloss-black-sc-836/

Clear: https://buywitchdoctors.com/p/597952/victory-cross-country-paint-touch-kits-shop-parts-accessories-clear-coat-sc-836/

For whatever reason, the Wichdoctors page for your color is missing a tab at the bottom where it says Product Details, Additional Notes, etc. If you go to the Suade Nuclear Sunset color (link below) you will find a tab titled Instructions. That tab has two PDFs that give a lot of information about the paint. I'm assuming it is universal, meaning the PDFs do not apply solely to the suede paint. I know that those PDFs answered all the questions my painter had when he painted my 21" fender.

https://buywitchdoctors.com/p/3767/victory-cross-country-paint-touch-kits-shop-parts-accessories-suede-nuclear-sunset-matte-sc-836/

In the end, my painter said it would be best to get the paint from Witchdoctors.

Hope this helps.

(EDIT: corrected the link to the suede nuclear sunset color.)

·
12,970 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
The description says Gloss Black but 598 is the factory code for Imperial Blue. If you go that route I would call Witchdoctors first.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome info and links, WeekendRider. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
The best place to buy the paint and get the benefit of experience is WitchDoctors. Just make sure you get your paint checked for the right code.

If you are buying a kit, it comes with a pint of Activator. One pint is really not enough to paint half the bike.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts