Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the FNG here and I have myself in a pickle. I have the 2014 Highball. I'm in the process of installing a fuel controller, I'm stuck literally right now. YES I've done searches on these forums, but to no avail.

I'm installing a Cobra FI2000 Powrpro and I need to unplug the wires from the injectors in order to plug in the fuel controller. I found videos on how to unplug the wires, no issue there.

BUT.... BIG BUT!!! This is where I'm stuck!!!! How do I get the front fuel injector plug off??? There literally is no room to get my fingers in there to unplug the wires. The Airbox is sitting right on top and there's no room for my fingers.

HELP!!! Anyone with experience unplugging the wires from the fuel injectors. What are the steps I need to take to unplug the plug from the injectors??? Do I remove the airbox???

Thank you in advance for any help and/or assistance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There really is no trick to it, it is tight. I went to Home Depot and spent about $12 on a three piece set of extended needle nose pliers. That was the only way I could access it. If you are considering doing the airbox, now is the time. It is amazing how much room you will have after getting that stock airbox out of there.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
The needle nose pliers is a good idea. I just pretty much wedged my hands in there, and when that didn't work, I used a long, slim screwdriver. It is a very tight space.

Just remember, PATIENCE is the key here.

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas! I was about to burn up my last brain cell trying to figure it out. Well it's a rainy day here, nothing to do but fiddle with the bike.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I used a pair of hemostats , long ones ... No matter how you cut it , it is a suck job .

·
Registered
427 Posts
Stop before you get too far and return the cobra and get either a afr+ or a pcv and you can thank me latercheers.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Ut oh, now you've done it. Prepare for the PCV/AFR+/Cobra carnage and wanton destruction! wac

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Stop before you get too far and return the cobra and get either a afr+ or a pcv and you can thank me latercheers.
:I agree: yup , what shanks said .....

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Now, now fellas. Everyone knows we are in desperate need of a good HD vs Victory discussion. wac

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to thank all the guys who helped me with info earlier today! It was a pain to get that front fuel injector plug off. But thanks to the help from you guys the fuel controller is up and running.

As for the discussion of which fuel controller to use, well here's my own experience. I wanted something simple, just plug and play. I don't have the time nor the desire to mess with programming a fuel controller. Nor do I buy all the hype on the Cobra website. I don't think the Cobra is the best, but it's the best for what I WANTED! Plug it in and forget it.

So how did it work? For me it worked perfect, I don't care how it works, it just works. It made my bike run better, it got rid of about 95% of the popping and backfire I had before. The throttle response is quicker, and the bike ran smoother period.

So in short, I don't care how it works or if there's better fuel controllers out there. The Cobra I put on today did exactly what I wanted, nothing less and nothing more. But thanks for your opinion on fuel controllers.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I want to thank all the guys who helped me with info earlier today! It was a pain to get that front fuel injector plug off. But thanks to the help from you guys the fuel controller is up and running.

As for the discussion of which fuel controller to use, well here's my own experience. I wanted something simple, just plug and play. I don't have the time nor the desire to mess with programming a fuel controller. Nor do I buy all the hype on the Cobra website. I don't think the Cobra is the best, but it's the best for what I WANTED! Plug it in and forget it.

So how did it work? For me it worked perfect, I don't care how it works, it just works. It made my bike run better, it got rid of about 95% of the popping and backfire I had before. The throttle response is quicker, and the bike ran smoother period.

So in short, I don't care how it works or if there's better fuel controllers out there. The Cobra I put on today did exactly what I wanted, nothing less and nothing more. But thanks for your opinion on fuel controllers.
If you're happy with it that's all that matters. What mods do you have/plan to do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only "performance" mods I am doing are a set of Hacker Custom pipes and a simple K&N air filter that slides right in place of the old air filter. I wanted the pipes simply for the sound. Vanity at it's best right?

I'm not worried about more horse power. I would have bought a crotch rocket if I wanted to go super fast. My interest is to simply ride with as little down time and maintenance issues as possible. That's why I bought a Victory, not a Harley. Plus I just liked the way the Victory felt compared to all the other bikes I rode.

So now all I'm doing is cosmetic upgrades. Grips, saddlebags, windshield, stereo system, and probably a highway bar.

I just installed the stereo today as well since I had the tank off. Very happy with how it turned out. It's the Kuryakyn speaker system.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Zoomies will look great on the bike. Hope the cobra can keep up with your mods. They just haven't gotten down the right mapping for the vics yet. There is an adjustment pot you may have to play with when you do your upgrades.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Can you toss up a pic of your bike and some of your stereo and other mods?cheers

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How long does it take after you start it up before your backfiring or popping is gone? I'm asking because the tuner you bought doesn't keep and store the map. It tunes as you ride, tunes some more, tunes a lil more...you shut it off and the map is gone, it starts all over again. wac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Long flat head screwdriver from the throttle side. It helps if the tank is out of the way. You think getting it off is fun, wait til you have to grow three more fingers to get it back on thumb up

Go easy and it pops right off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts