Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Slammed on brakes at stoplight and bike died. Wont restart. Like starving for fuel. Need advice. Checked fuse...its ok.
Plz help

·
13,177 Posts
what year and model

is the battery cables tight. 10mm wrench
think the fuel pump runs off relay not a fuse.
Is bike in neutral
you really aren't telling us much

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Kill switch on?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Volt meter

2014 XC...battery cables tight....i saw the relay...how do I check if bad relay tho?
You could try a test light but a volt meter will be better on each post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I ended up getting a tow home last nite. As I was waiting, i had the bike hazards on so battery died. I took off cables and fully charged it hoping that maybe it would teset the tilt sensor (if that was the problem). No good....bike still acts like starving for fuel.
Only mods ive done is lloyds air filter and atom bombs.
I took out a plug thinking that maybe I choked it when I stopped suddenly. Plugs not fouled or wet....actually looks slightly lean...but not bad....looks like it should.
Im thinkin its the pump....whats the "easiest" way to go about testing it on this bike?
I already have the seat and wedges off....and tank is unbolted by the seat so most lines should be accessible.
Also...just throwing this out there if it comes to it. I am still under warranty....ive had for just over a year, but my dealer gave me a 2nd year with $50 deductible. Not sure if this was somethin my dealer does or if they all do....but thought I would mention it. Funny thing is that Ive never owned any car or bike that I had a warranty on....Dont even know how to use it....haha.
I assume i just call the dealer....but do I still have to pay for a tow there? Sorry if that seems like a dumbass question....but like I said....never had a warranty.
Never had to have a vehicle towed either....another first.
Lots of questions....help me out here....thnx guys.

·
Registered
471 Posts
This just happened to me, pulled in clutch, bike died, cranks over right, but no sound that the fuel rail is pressurized when you flip the kill switch. Turns out my fuel pump died. I hope the best for you.
Fortunately mine was covered under my extended warranty, $375 for the pump plus labor.

Let us know what happens

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes Kllrbee I had to eat the cost of the tow and I will be writing to Ma Vic about it. If your dealer goes to bat for you they can get it under warranty but ma Vic took her sweet time approving the work.
Good luck.
I'm thinking this fuel pump issue is a lot bigger then they want everyone to believe. The recall should have included all the XCs
Mine vin wasn't on the list .....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Googled it....just called Ma Vic...obviously not open...ill call back tmrw.
Do u think they will give me **** about the lloyds filter and atom bombs....cuz not stock? Voiding warranty?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to Vic website to check my VIN. Fuel pump bulletin didnt come up (backrest one did tho....weird...dont even have a backrest).
Ill call dealer tmrw....sux.

·
13,177 Posts
Googled it....just called Ma Vic...obviously not open...ill call back tmrw.
Do u think they will give me **** about the lloyds filter and atom bombs....cuz not stock? Voiding warranty?
not if you don't tell them about it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha...good point...theyre gonna see the filter if they change the pump. Guess its up to the mechanic at that point.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had the Lloyds air filter and a PCV and the dealer was really decent about it. I was up front about it and told them I didn't have an opportunity to remove it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hope you have a better time dealing with Polaris than I did my first time up to bat with them. Its not completely related though and it happened back in 2005.

I had a Sportsman 500 with zero issues and I was not nice to her.

I bought my son an over priced camo sportsman 90.

Outside if it ingesting more water in the carb than air, one day it took off with him on it and crashed. He fell off and the kill switch (attached to his chest guard) pulled out which should have killed the machine - didnt kill the machine. It kept going full throttle, with no rider, almost hit a group of people and crashed into a bunch of kudzu.

I rode up to my son, he was fine, then I took off to the little 90. It was caught up in the kudzu at wide open throttle...plus about 20% judging by the engine noise. I checked the thumb throttle and it was out and not stuck. I felt resistance as I thumbed the throttle and I could feel it was normal, so this thing was running wide open with a closed throttle.

I turned the key, flipped the tumb kill switch back and forth several times, nothing worked. I eventually reached under the front and squeezed the inlet boot choking the engine off of air.

I took it back (for the 6 time in less than 4 months) and told the dealer I was done with it, get my money back. I never got a call from the dealer. I called them after 6 months had passed and they said it was crated and sent back to Polaris home office.

A year passed and Polaris had an attorney call me. We argued for about 2 more months and thats when I found a list of other people complaining of the same event. I shared my news with the attorney and 2 weeks later I had a check in my mailbox for $3600.00.

According to the research, the head would come loose and some how 'diesel' at full RPM.

I can handle owning a problem vehicle but putting a good customer through hell for far too long put a bad taste in my mouth.

Dont wish any of this on you but I hope Polaris has realized a happy customer is worth something since my last run in with them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Same thing happened to me! When I checked with Polaris in Feb, they said My vin was clear, obviously not, because my fuel pump took a dump!! I was under warranty, so it only cost me 50.00 bucks. I still think it should of been covered under the recall, and free to me!! In the process, the mechanic pulled my spark plug wire apart, and said it was over crimped from the factory. 62.50 for 1 spark plug wire! WHAT A RIP-OFF!! So $112.50 and I'm on the road! I should be happy? IMO should have been no charge!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too have the issue of the bike starving/stalling when braking or sometimes even turning. For me this only happens when the fuel gets low (fuel light is on). Once I fuel up the problem goes away. My guess is that there isn't any baffles in the tank to keep fuel over fuel pump inlet during abrupt maneuvers.

Was your fuel low when this happens?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts